PDA

View Full Version : 6 figure fraud on the BST - Ruth Rookies

Leon
12-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Here is a link to someone trying to commit 6 figure fraud on our board. Let's just be aware of these things and know they can happen if not careful. And if you don't know who you are dealing with, personally, ask me about them. There are ways to vet all members 100%. And if we can't then that is an answer too. Caveat Emptor.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1729806#post1729806

iowadoc77
12-15-2017, 03:32 PM
It certainly seemed odd. Don’t see a lot of people just throwing out cards of that caliber for sale here. Number of posts certainly didn’t inspire confidence.

Tennis13
12-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Here is a link to someone trying to commit 6 figure fraud on our board. Let's just be aware of these things and know they can happen if not careful. And if you don't know who you are dealing with, personally, ask me about them. There are ways to vet all members 100%. And if we can't then that is an answer too. Caveat Emptor.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1729806#post1729806

Really interesting post history, too. Seems to be looking for signs of identifying possible fraud on cards, cards that are going to go up in value a lot in the near future, and buying low level graded cards.

I am a firm subscriber to the mosaic method of reaching a conclusion.

sycks22
12-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Maybe it's just me, but do people regularly shell out 6 figure prices to people they don't know?

chlankf
12-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks Leon for bringing this to everyone's attention and for all you do.

jbsports33
12-15-2017, 06:13 PM
When I noticed them and gave them a look, my first thought - was surprised to even see them on the BST

Thanks Jimmy

rainier2004
12-15-2017, 07:43 PM
Lets beak their knees...seriously.

Leon
12-16-2017, 05:39 AM
When I noticed them and gave them a look, my first thought - was surprised to even see them on the BST

Thanks Jimmy

Seeing them didn't throw me for a total loop. I have seen some cards over there that would be 6 figures. (I think Jeff L had a CJ Jackson that might have been). I personally sold a 50k+ card to another member a long time ago. Our members are our best safeguard. Please don't ever do a large deal on the BST without knowing or vetting your trade partner 100%. Please PM me and I will help in those instances if need be.

Rhotchkiss
12-16-2017, 07:29 AM
This guy contacted me directly about a week ago through PM and asked if I was interested in these Ruths. I said no (not bc I didn't want those cards - they are awesome) because I didn't have $300k just sitting around burning a whole in my pocket. I did think it very odd that this was how he was trying to sell such major cards, but I have done some larger deals through BST and thought oh well; I did suggest he may have better luck with an auction house. He also asked if I had anything I would sell and if I knew anyone who would he interested in these Ruths.

All that said, when I was interested in a card from a person (not even always a member) I have never dealt with, I have always vetted that person by asking (privately) other board members, including Leon. Net54 is a huge resource that way.

So this guy was trying to sell someone else's cards? That is destined to fail on a deal this size. No way I am sending that kind of $$ ro some random without seeing the card first and taking possession of the card the instant I give over the $$. Sounds to me that this guy, beside being a criminal, is a few cards short of a full deck.

samosa4u
12-16-2017, 10:34 AM

I have a better idea: we tie this low-life POS next to an enormous wasp nest. Next step is to piss off the wasps - throw big rocks at the nest or play loud Coldplay songs - then just sit back with some popcorn and enjoy. :)

iowadoc77
12-16-2017, 11:15 AM
I have a better idea: we tie this low-life POS next to an enormous wasp nest. Next step is to piss off the wasps - throw big rocks at the nest or play loud Coldplay songs - then just sit back with some popcorn and enjoy. :)

You may have put a bit too much thought into this. Yikes! Although not an entirely unfair punishment.

edjs
12-16-2017, 11:33 AM

Steve, what does this mean?

btcarfagno
12-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Steve, what does this mean?

A painful and obscure form of torture in Madagascar involving the duck billed platypus.

bbcard1
12-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Let's get him Marlins season tickets.

rainier2004
12-16-2017, 03:36 PM

I like it...but lets add a twist.

I say we cut off his eye lids while he's tied to a palm tree until he dehydrates out and starts to go crazy and the Marlins will look like a real MLB team...

KCRfan1
12-16-2017, 04:37 PM

That's cruel and unusual punishment. Shame on you Todd.

shagrotn77
12-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Pretty impressive to learn that a member here is the true owner of BOTH of the Ruth rookies that d bag was trying to sell. Man, I’d kill for just one!

jbsports33
12-17-2017, 10:29 AM
I agree, amazing cards which is why I gave it a look - thanks for the additional info Leon - we should all do research before buying really high end cards! or any card/cards

Jimmy

orly57
12-17-2017, 01:28 PM
So this scammer was in our n54 fantasy football league. These are the lengths he went through to infiltrate our beloved forum. He beat the Pouncey brothers (Rick and Sam Pouncey) last week in the playoffs and was matched up against Sam (Sammechanicalman) this week.
We made the decision to suspend the guy for his activities, not only on this board, but also on our league board where he was shopping the Ruth's. Rather than giving Sam the auto-win, I put the Pouncey brothers up against him. Because the fantasy gods are cruel and evil, the Pouncey brothers are exploding this week and may well beat Sam. You see, there are more victims of fraud than the ones who buy the cards. Sam may have just gotten totally hosed.

mechanicalman
12-17-2017, 08:35 PM
So this scammer was in our n54 fantasy football league. These are the lengths he went through to infiltrate our beloved forum. He beat the Pouncey brothers (Rick and Sam Pouncey) last week in the playoffs and was matched up against Sam (Sammechanicalman) this week.
We made the decision to suspend the guy for his activities, not only on this board, but also on our league board where he was shopping the Ruth's. Rather than giving Sam the auto-win, I put the Pouncey brothers up against him. Because the fantasy gods are cruel and evil, the Pouncey brothers are exploding this week and may well beat Sam. You see, there are more victims of fraud than the ones who buy the cards. Sam may have just gotten totally hosed.

I don’t know who committed the bigger fraud this week: this dude or AJ Green.