PDA

View Full Version : B18 Blankets question

cubman1941
12-10-2017, 05:38 PM
I have been looking for years and never asked the question before. Does anyone know why there are not any Cubs in the B18 Blanket set or, bigger question, why only 10 teams?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Jim

Leon
12-13-2017, 10:40 AM
I have been looking for years and never asked the question before. Does anyone know why there are not any Cubs in the B18 Blanket set or, bigger question, why only 10 teams?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Jim

Apparently not but good luck in the quest. These aren't mine any longer...

bn2cardz
12-13-2017, 10:48 AM
I would direct you to this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=79905

Here is the exact quote pertaining to your question:

As mentioned earlier, there are ten teams included in the set. Five are from the National League (Boston, Brooklyn, New York, Pittsburgh, St. Louis) and five from the American League (Cleveland, Detroit, New York, St. Louis, Washington). Why the other six major league teams (Boston AL, Chicago AL, Chicago NL, Cincinnati, Philadelphia Al, Philadelphia NL) are not included is unknown. The Philadelphia Athletics had won three of the four World Series prior to 1914 and boasted five future HOFers on their roster yet were left out of the set. It has been hypothesized that these cities were not markets for Egyptienne Straights Cigarettes, but this does not explain why members of Boston's NL franchise are in the set while the AL team in the same city is omitted. It is likely we will never know.

cubman1941
12-13-2017, 05:33 PM
I would direct you to this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=79905

Here is the exact quote pertaining to your question:

Thanks, the explanation with the Egyptienne Straights Cigarettes sounds reasonable but, as concluded, we will never know for sure. Appreciate the help.

Jim

cubman1941
12-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Leon, thanks for your guidance. I guess I can quit looking now (actually did a long time ago when I saw the checklist).