PDA

View Full Version : 1896 Imperial Cabinet

chlankf
12-10-2017, 10:03 AM
I picked this few years ago. An 1896 Imperial Cabinet of the Western Association Des Moines Prohibitionists. It measures 16 x 19(mount) and 10.5 x 13.5. The studio is marked on bottom right as James, Des Moines Iowa. The studio marking is pressed into the mount.

There are 13 players shown along with the team president. Nine of the players made MLB appearances although very shortly.

Frank Figgemier
Harry Sonier
Ed. Hickey
James Purvis
Pres. Bennett - Looks an awful lot like Charlie Bennett, thoughts?
Jay "Doc" Andrews
Walter "Judge" mcCredie, spelled McCradie on cabinet
William Traffley, Manager - also a player that season
Capt. Pete Lohman
This. Letcher
Byron McKibban
Walter Preston
Harry Burrell
Ernest "Kid" Mohler

There is so little information available on this season and team. I am hoping someone can answer a couple questions that I am just stumped on.

Is the team president actually Charlie Bennett?

The cabinet has along the bottom, "Holding the world's record for consecutive victories - twenty-five championship games."?
What can they mean by this? Did they win 25 games in a row this season? Can't believe they would be the 1st to do so.

Has anyone seen this image on a normal size cabinet?

Thanks much for any and all information.
Craig

chlankf
12-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Still hoping someone has any info on players, season, league, club pres, etc.

Thanks

autograf
12-14-2017, 05:20 PM
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=ab13a449

From baseball reference......

Dto7
12-14-2017, 10:32 PM
The uniforms are steel gray with brown trimmings and brown stockings and all gray hats.

Dto7
12-15-2017, 09:05 AM
The president is William P. Bennett

chlankf
12-15-2017, 10:24 AM

Don , thanks so much.

Where in the world did you find that? Love to read the rest. Maybe the family is still in the area, hmmm.

OK, found the article in the Des Moines Register, February 9th, 1896. I don't have access to the site I found and it only let's me see the article up to where it cits off, same cut off point as your post.

Dto7
12-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Welcome, Craig. Here's the rest of he story on Bennett from the 1896 Des Moines Register

chlankf
12-15-2017, 11:38 AM

Once again, thanks Don