PDA

View Full Version : Net54baseball possibly used for fraud. Be careful.

Leon
12-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Hey Folks
As Net54baseball continues growing, and getting more exposure, there is more possibility of fraud happening. Yesterday I received an email from an advertiser/auctioneer. He asked if I knew of a person who has not paid for a mid-high 4 figure purchase AND used Net54baseball as a reference? I asked for his id and he said he didn't know it. That is fine in not asking for that or verifying it, but there is some exposure to not doing it. Without an id my hands are tied except searching on the name, which came up fruitless. And to be clear, even with an id, all I can do is help with their registration info. However, many times that can help. If someone uses this forum as a reference with you, ask them what their id is, or verify them with me. ALL members have a Net54baseball id, sometimes it's their name, but most times it's something else. Anyone can say they are someone they aren't if there is no verification. That is also why we require certain things on registration., (not that someone can't squirm in under the door, infrequently.) And with an ID anyone can look them up on the board themselves. But what prompted this email was a PM I received today. A member said they got this weird email below in their spam folder this morning. Sharing fraudulent types of behavior is always good, in order to help combat it. Please be careful out there. There is only 1 email with the @net54baseball.com and it's me. :) Check with me for references concerning the board. Most times I can help.

"received an email in my junk box with the title "bidedmachine @ Net54baseball.com Forum" and address: xkelly@airmail.net."

Here is the newest T205 pick up....What a great looking 2!! (no back damage either)

steve B
12-08-2017, 08:20 AM
I rarely mention it, but thanks for keeping on top of things here.

Also the same for the community in general. It may seem like a harsh place at first, but once you see some of the stuff that goes on it looks a lot different.

Nice card! I don't see how that could be a 2. The grader must have been very cranky that day.

Leon
12-08-2017, 08:29 AM
I rarely mention it, but thanks for keeping on top of things here.

Also the same for the community in general. It may seem like a harsh place at first, but once you see some of the stuff that goes on it looks a lot different.

Nice card! I don't see how that could be a 2. The grader must have been very cranky that day.

Your welcome.
I don't have the T205 in hand yet. There is a small stain on back and a barely perceptible line on the top of the back which is possibly scrapbook residue (those little lines we sometimes see.) There could also be a wrinkle that can't be seen from the scan. It should have been at least a 2.5!!

sterlingfox
12-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Put it under a black light when you get it. Most likely the scrapbook residue brought it down.

Nonetheless, it looks fantastic and should be treated more like a 3 or 4.

Congrats on the pickup!

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-08-2017, 08:46 AM
Hey Folks
As Net54baseball continues growing, and getting more exposure, there is more possibility of fraud happening. Yesterday I received an email from an advertiser/auctioneer. He asked if I knew of a person who has not paid for a mid-high 4 figure purchase AND used Net54baseball as a reference? I asked for his id and he said he didn't know it. That is fine in not asking for that or verifying it, but there is some exposure to not doing it. Without an id my hands are tied except searching on the name, which came up fruitless. And to be clear, even with an id, all I can do is help with their registration info. However, many times that can help. If someone uses this forum as a reference with you, ask them what their id is, or verify them with me. ALL members have a Net54baseball id, sometimes it's their name, but most times it's something else. Anyone can say they are someone they aren't if there is no verification. That is also why we require certain things on registration., (not that someone can't squirm in under the door, infrequently.) And with an ID anyone can look them up on the board themselves. But what prompted this email was a PM I received today. A member said they got this weird email below in their spam folder this morning. Sharing fraudulent types of behavior is always good, in order to help combat it. Please be careful out there. There is only 1 email with the @net54baseball.com and it's me. :) Check with me for references concerning the board. Most times I can help.

"received an email in my junk box with the title "bidedmachine @ Net54baseball.com Forum" and address: xkelly@airmail.net."

Here is the newest T205 pick up....What a great looking 2!! (no back damage either)

Thanks for watching out for us, Leon. Did you crack out that card?

edit to add: I see now you don't have it yet. Are you going to crack it? :)

Leon
12-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks for watching out for us, Leon. Did you crack out that card?

edit to add: I see now you don't have it yet. Are you going to crack it? :)

Your welcome too.
I usually don't crack them. Some of them are 5s and a few 6s (most are 2s to 4s) so I wouldn't want to crack those, and as such, not all would be in a binder. I think they look good, virtually, sans holders.

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Your welcome too.
I usually don't crack them. Some of them are 5s and a few 6s (most are 2s to 4s) so I wouldn't want to crack those, and as such, not all would be in a binder. I think they look good, virtually, sans holders.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just curious. I have seen you post pics of all those raw 205s, and they look great!

BruceinGa
12-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Very nice card Leon!

jbsports33
12-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Thanks Leon, very helpful info and topic!

Jimmy

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
12-08-2017, 12:01 PM
You DA MAN!

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Your welcome.
I don't have the T205 in hand yet. There is a small stain on back and a barely perceptible line on the top of the back which is possibly scrapbook residue (those little lines we sometimes see.) There could also be a wrinkle that can't be seen from the scan. It should have been at least a 2.5!!

It was adhered to a piece of lined notebook paper at some point. You can see the pink vertical line near the "v" in his name and the horizontal line is blue. You can even see the ghost of a second blue line between the second and third lines or text, most notably near "veteran" and the opposite side near "pirates"

Stonepony
12-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Hey Folks

I guess if you ask for references it might benefit you to actually check them?

EvilKing00
12-08-2017, 04:17 PM

thats a 2??? :eek: easy 4! nice card leon

ngnichols
12-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Yep, have checked with Leon before making both deals I was going to make on here that were pretty sizable transactions. Do you homework and CYA before you start throwing money/cards around with people you don't know and have never met. Better to be safe than sorry.