PDA

View Full Version : T206 Centering

Andrew1975
11-20-2017, 07:01 PM
When considering top/bottom centering on a T206, should a card grade higher with perfect 50/50 dimensions, or should there be a slightly larger bottom margin to account for the name and team? For me, a card with around 40/60 centering (the Brown for example, as opposed to the Heinie Wagner which has the writing right on the edge) is ideal. I look for a card that has the same amount of white below the writing as above it. Interested to hear opinions on what gives a card the best “eye appeal” and how that compares to what is considered when assigning a technical grade.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/131d29bed3ac86e9f23c8999d57e7bc0.heichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/9040d6f7525deefc6944065f2fef6fa3.heichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/7620eda7f7132cd7fd3632701a45430c.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggsdaddycool
11-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Personally, I agree with you. Having the name centered on the bottom border is more eye-appealing than having both borders be equally centered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ullmandds
11-20-2017, 07:22 PM
I also agree...I prefer the caption on the bottom's border to be about 60/40 to the top on a t card.

brob28
11-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Make that 3 that agree. BTW - is that Speaker an American Beauty?

MVSNYC
11-20-2017, 07:39 PM
Agreed.

I think my Cobb exhibits centering that is a little higher than you guys are talking about, BUT I'd prefer this type of centering, versus one where the bottom border is thin and the name & team are encroached upon.

Andrew1975
11-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the input, Gents. Any idea how the TPGs view the issue? Bill, unfortunately, just a Piedmont back on the Speaker (SGC 50/4). It does look a bit thin... The Cobb is extraordinary - beautiful card. That centering, to me, although not “perfect”, is definitely better than that of cards where the lettering is on the edge.

Leon
11-21-2017, 06:43 AM
For personal preference I like Brown's top to bottom centering the best.

sreader3
11-21-2017, 09:16 AM
. I look for a card that has the same amount of white below the writing as above it.

Agreed. Great topic by the way. Have wondered what others thought about this for years but never thought to post about it.

As for PSA, my suspicion is that there is no consensus on what a 50/50 top to bottom centered T206 is and it’s presently left up to the individual grader. Good question for Mr. Hall or Mr. Orlando.

Steve D
11-21-2017, 12:14 PM
I also prefer the higher image, allowing a centered caption at the bottom (as shown with the 3F Brown).

Steve

BruceinGa
11-22-2017, 09:26 AM
I first compare the top margine with the right and left. To me all should be very close before I'll consider the purchase.
Some that I own are near equal at top, right and left while the bottom may be somewhat wider to allow for the name. If the bottom is too wide or too narrow it is distracting.
All of this brings another question to mind, how much more are you willing to pay for a card that meets your requirements?

Leon
11-24-2017, 02:32 PM
I first compare the top margine with the right and left. To me all should be very close before I'll consider the purchase.
Some that I own are near equal at top, right and left while the bottom may be somewhat wider to allow for the name. If the bottom is too wide or too narrow it is distracting.
All of this brings another question to mind, how much more are you willing to pay for a card that meets your requirements?

I have paid a lot more for a card with great centering especially if the card is notorious for being o/c. I don't know the exact number but maybe 35% or more....but each card is different. And then sometimes you see one and you know it's a special card...(not a T206) and you pay up or you miss out. I know many board members (if not most) have a card they HAD to have :). Apologies for the same old card, will have to get a new one soon.

BruceinGa
11-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Leon, that's exactly what I was talking about! The top, left and right margins are nearly, if not, perfect. I don't think the wide bottom distracts any from the presentablility (is that a word?).
You are right, if you miss out you may never see another that looks so good.
I'm not that experienced to know which cards are difficult to find centered.:(

3-2-count
11-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Criteria for every collector is different so there really is no wrong or right answer when it comes to centering on certain prewar issues such as T206.

First and foremost for me is always image quality (color & registration) Second comes side to side centering (must be somewhat decent)

Top to bottom centering I have some give. Fat top borders are welcome if plenty of bottom border remain which actually gives the card some character in my opinion. ;)

http://photos.imageevent.com/threetwocount/threetwocount/websize/t206johnsonportpsa511-24final.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/threetwocount/threetwocount/websize/psa6eversportfinal.jpg