PDA

View Full Version : I am gonna vent

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 01:34 PM
I hope I don't hurt feelings with this post, however with that being said, I know some will agree and the ones who don't are probably the ones I am talking about.

Ok so I want to speak about 2 things.

First....

I HATE when someone (especially someone I know is knowledgeable) asks me what I'm looking for when I say make an offer. Are you hoping I say $50 on a $1000 and you can rob me?

If I say make an offer, I simply mean make an offer.

The excuse I always get when I respond to "what are you looking for?" is I just don't wanna throw out a number too low and insult you.

Why not throw out a number that's fair?

First off, why are you trying to low ball someone in the first place who is a active member of the community?

Secondly, that's like saying "I don't wanna embarrass myself with a cheap ass offer so I rather you give me a number so I can say I'll think about it but really never contact you again".

NEXT....

This is my BIGGGGGGEST PET PEEVE!

The worst worst thing someone can say to me is.... " I know you paid X for this so would you take Y?"

What does that have to do with ANYTHING!???

If I was able to scoop up a steal on BIN for $500 on a item worth $2500, do you think just because you have that public information, I now have to sell it to you for a $150 profit?

Stop it!

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

Thoughts?

I feel like this is the person who I'm writing to...

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/yq30x3q5.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/yq30x3q5/n-a)

vintagetoppsguy
11-20-2017, 01:43 PM
I may or may not agree with you on your first point, depending on the circumstances. If you're offering something for sale, it's your responsibility as the seller to throw out the first number. If you've done that and the potential buyer asks, "What is your best offer?" then I can understand your point. If you throw out the first number, then he ball is in their court to counteroffer. However, if you list something without a price and you're just fishing for offers, then shame on you.

On the second point I agree with you.

MikeGarcia
11-20-2017, 01:44 PM
How much are you looking for on it ?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 01:46 PM
I may or may not agree with you on your first point, depending on the circumstances. If you're offering something for sale, it's your responsibility as the seller to throw out the first number. If you've done that and the potential buyer asks, "What is your best offer?" then I can understand your point. If you throw out the first number, then he ball is in their court to counteroffer. However, if you list something without a price and you're just fishing for offers, then shame on you.

This was more for ebay when I price is up with best offer. I get so many "What are you looking for on it" messages and I always respond with make me a fair offer and its yours... 99% never get back to me.

Snapolit1
11-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Don't disagree it's annoying, but everyone is looking to make the best deal they can favoring them to the max. It's human nature.

There is a guy on ebay I've alluded to a few times who purchases items at AHs for a couple hundred bucks and often tries to sell on eBay a few days later for multiples of what he paid. I do think what he paid is a relevant point in any negotiation. If 20 people bid on something and it settles at $750, I think it's a little ridiculous to list it on eBay for $3700. But it's a free country and he can obviously try to sell it for $250,000 if he is so inclined. It annoys me but not a damm thing I can do about it.

kvnkvnkvn
11-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Both people write their numbers on a piece of paper. Flip them over on the count of three, Add the numbers, Divide by 2 and there is your price...

I like to live dangerously sometimes...

ullmandds
11-20-2017, 01:55 PM
it kinda sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too! It's ok if you get a really good deal on a bin on ebay...but someone else is not entitled to get a good deal from you?

Personally...I hate the old "make me an offer!"

It's your card...you know what you paid for it...price it!

Snapolit1
11-20-2017, 01:59 PM
it kinda sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too! It's ok if you get a really good deal on a bin on ebay...but someone else is not entitled to get a good deal from you?

If you are selling something, I can't imagine a legitimate reason to ask for an offer in direct negotiations. Make an offer to sell and see what the reaction is. (Obviously if you accept offers on ebay that's a different deal.)

It's sort of like everyone is trying to see if the other side is a rube with no clue.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Make an offer is referring to BEST OFFER on ebay.

bobbyw8469
11-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Great points. I agree with them. I have nothing to add.

Batpig
11-20-2017, 02:57 PM

I hate this saying. What the heck is the point of having the cake if you can't eat it? I know the point is you can't eat the cake and still have it, but the phrasing is still annoying. For an alternative, I suggest "You can't sit in two chairs with one butt." Or maybe a more appropriate alternative for this situation is "You can't keep your card and sell it too."

Carry on.

bigfish
11-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Make an offer is referring to BEST OFFER on ebay.

If you're disenchanted with getting offers don't offer that as an option on eBay. List a fixed price. Problem solved.

ullmandds
11-20-2017, 03:01 PM
I hate this saying. What the heck is the point of having the cake if you can't eat it? I know the point is you can't eat the cake and still have it, but the phrasing is still annoying. For an alternative, I suggest "You can't sit in two chairs with one butt." Or maybe a more appropriate alternative for this situation is "You can't keep your card and sell it too."

Carry on.

that's funny...as I was typing it I was kinda thinking the same thing!!!!!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 03:02 PM
If you're disenchanted with getting offers don't offer that as an option on eBay. List a fixed price. Problem solved.

Honestly, I never thought of that. Thanks for the advice I will look into that

frankbmd
11-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Honestly, I never thought of that. Thanks for the advice I will look into that

So you buy something as a BIN and it never occurred to you to sell it as a BIN.:confused::confused:

packs
11-20-2017, 03:50 PM
I absolutely hate hearing some dealer at a card show tell me what they have into a card when I ask about the price. Why do I care what you paid for something? If you made a bad buy, don't even bother putting it out. I'm not going to pay $200 more for a card because you did.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 04:15 PM
So you buy something as a BIN and it never occurred to you to sell it as a BIN.:confused::confused:

yea cause I wasn't messing with him

I absolutely hate hearing some dealer at a card show tell me what they have into a card when I ask about the price. Why do I care what you paid for something? If you made a bad buy, don't even bother putting it out. I'm not going to pay $200 more for a card because you did.

+1111

icollectDCsports
11-20-2017, 04:40 PM

Agree. I understand the psychology of it, because a dealer who buys something for resale will likely do so with a profit margin in mind, but sometimes a seller misjudges the market and what they "have into it" isn't relevant to a prospective purchaser. I realize that market prices for some (particularly less common) items may not be readily apparent, but there are dealers who will hang on to an item seemingly forever because of what they "have into it." Of course, it's perfectly within their rights to do so and if an item isn't available at a price that suits the buyer, then it's best to just move on.

Hankphenom
11-20-2017, 04:57 PM

Exactly. Price it! If you walk something into a show and want me to buy it, how will you know to accept any offer I might make you if you don't know what you want for it? Of course, I know there's a good chance you're just going to take my offer and use it to sell to a dealer who's willing to give you a dollar more. I'll tell you what, go and try to get the other dealers to make you an offer, and then come see me! And if you're a dealer, and you can't tell me what you want for your own goods, I'll see you later--not!

pokerplyr80
11-20-2017, 05:01 PM

I'm not sure I believe most who tell me what they're into something they're selling any way. And even if it is the truth it does not affect what I'm willing to pay.

To the OPs post it should be the seller's responsibility to list a starting price. Listings with no asking prices are one of my pet peeves around here. Asking someone to negotiate against themself is equally ridiculous. If a price is set make an offer.

I do like Jake's note on his listings that any inquiry asking what's the lowest price you will take will be met with what's the most you will pay.

Topnotchsy
11-20-2017, 05:21 PM

Carry on.

Original statement was "you can't eat your cake and have it to"

Jenx34
11-20-2017, 05:27 PM
In line with what you are saying, I was always taught in business never to bid against yourself. If you have a price posted then that is your price until someone makes you an offer to consider less. I hate it when I see people who say I'd like $100 but I'll take $80. Why bid against yourself?? If anyone ever asks me "what will you take?", I simply reply "My price is what's posted unless you make an offer that motivates me to change it."

As to your part 2... My wife and & decided to try and sell her old house by owner, hoping lightning would strike, so to speak. Apparently, these free courses people offer on how to flip houses, teach them to ask how much they owe on the house, in hopes they can make a low ball offer and "bail someone out". We can discuss trying to feed on the poor and desparate separately, but why in the hell how much I owe on a house is ANY of your business? It's such a stupid way of doing business, but people do it in all walks of life. I'm with you, I HATE IT. The same goes to dealers offering what they paid for a card unsolicited. I've found myself guilty of doing so before trying to justify the high price I have a card listed for, almost apologetically. I need to stop doing so.

Lastly, I'd like to add a 3rd pet peeve... I hate it when people try to tell me why the price I am asking is wrong and send me examples of lower priced cards sold. There is a difference when someone asks $800 for a $100 card. But if I price something at, near or even above high VCP, there is a reason. If you don't want to pay it, no problem. But don't lecture me!

JollyElm
11-20-2017, 06:46 PM

In the recent miniseries about how the FBI finally tracked down the Unabomber, that phrase took a front seat in the examinations and comparisons of text/writings in the case. I was laughing because I always hated the way the phrase is generally said (wrongly) in our country, "You can't have your cake and eat it too," and one of the things that led them to Kaczynski was his repeated use of the 'correct' wording of the phrase. Fascinating stuff.

1952boyntoncollector
11-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Don't disagree it's annoying, but everyone is looking to make the best deal they can favoring them to the max. It's human nature.

There is a guy on ebay I've alluded to a few times who purchases items at AHs for a couple hundred bucks and often tries to sell on eBay a few days later for multiples of what he paid. I do think what he paid is a relevant point in any negotiation. If 20 people bid on something and it settles at $750, I think it's a little ridiculous to list it on eBay for $3700. But it's a free country and he can obviously try to sell it for $250,000 if he is so inclined. It annoys me but not a damm thing I can do about it.

well if that same seller likes to say 'i cant sell it for x because i have more than x into the card' Then they should be prepared for buyers who know how much another card they bought to offer them more than that number and state that.

I am assuming the new buyer people who are quoting what seller bought the card previously for are making their offer in the context of a 'reasonable range' comparable to prior sales.

People who are afraid to list prices usually are too scared to sell a card because they are worried they wont get enough so they want to just listen to offers which usually wont work out OR they want a ridiculous amount

1952boyntoncollector
11-20-2017, 06:56 PM
er.

I do like Jake's note on his listings that any inquiry asking what's the lowest price you will take will be met with what's the most you will pay.

funny i was going to mention that..

the-illini
11-20-2017, 07:22 PM
My pet peeve is when someone comes on a message board and repeatedly asks other people’s opinion on the value or authenticity of an item so that they can buy it and sell it for a profit instead of doing their own research...

1952boyntoncollector
11-20-2017, 07:23 PM
My pet peeve is when someone comes on a message board and repeatedly asks other people’s opinion on the value of an item so that they can buy it and sell it for a profit instead of doing their own research...

one could argue that doing that is part of doing their own research..

Ill add a pet peeve

'priced to sell' yet listed for years

JollyElm
11-20-2017, 07:33 PM
My pet peeve is when someone comes on a message board and repeatedly asks other people’s opinion on the value or authenticity of an item so that they can buy it and sell it for a profit instead of doing their own research...

Amen times a frickin' million!!!!

the-illini
11-20-2017, 07:44 PM
one could argue that doing that is part of doing their own research..

Ill add a pet peeve

'priced to sell' yet listed for years

Couple of times, sure. On a regular basis? Not so much.

AddieJoss
11-20-2017, 07:47 PM
Not pricing your cards in your case at a card show, so you look them up on sheet of paper for every card....or priced but on the back of the card.

Snapolit1
11-20-2017, 07:50 PM
How about people who say they want to trade up to an iconic card worth six figures by stating clearly that their plan is to repeatedly give board members something worth less than what they receive in return.

Love those guys.

Just sayin.

clydepepper
11-20-2017, 07:54 PM
How about people who say they want to trade up to an iconic card worth six figures by stating clearly that their plan is to repeatedly give board members something worth less than what they receive in return.

Love those guys.

Just sayin.

Great Steve - I thought I was the only one who saw through that plan. LOL

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-20-2017, 08:00 PM

have it to what? To hold? To eat again? To smash in someone's face? I need to know :)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Love those guys.

Just sayin.

Except I was trying to trade up to a 5 figure PSA 1 or 2 and didn't rip anyone off as every single trade partner on this site can attest to.

You need to be locked in the bathroom though because you're a mush.

bnorth
11-20-2017, 08:02 PM

^^This^^ Plus those that lie and say it is for their personal collection only to find out they are full of it. They are only on here to make cash. Nothing wrong with being on here to make cash, just the lying part is BS.

Snapolit1
11-20-2017, 08:04 PM
If any board member sends me $500 I will send them $300. Promptly. With a smile. All in fun of course.

But those buyers who try to get cards at a discount. Man those guys are kill joys.

1952boyntoncollector
11-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Not pricing your cards in your case at a card show, so you look them up on sheet of paper for every card....or priced but on the back of the card.

or they look up the price in those fantasy price books and always at 'mint'

1952boyntoncollector
11-20-2017, 08:06 PM
^^This^^ Plus those that lie and say it is for their personal collection only to find out they are full of it. They are only on here to make cash. Nothing wrong with being on here to make cash, just the lying part is BS.

right selling the card to pay taxes or health or whatever......i just dont care of the reason for they buy or sell

I also like the guys that make posts about wanting to trade 4 or 5..low grade non-key cards for a 1951 bowman mantle

Its never someone wanting to sell a 1951 mantle psa 3 for a bunch of non rookie brooks robinson/Yaz etc.. always a 6 for 1 key iconic card ie.RC mantle/1933 ruth/t206 cobb

Those are the same guys that try to do 3 for 1 NL fantasy baseball trades...where its their 3 curtis granderson/#4 Starting pitcher and a .270 17 homer 70 rbi fill in the blank guy for bryce harper

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Love those guys.

Just sayin.

If any board member sends me $500 I will send them $300. Promptly. With a smile. All in fun of course.

But those buyers who try to get cards at a discount. Man those guys are kill joys.

You are seriously a ray of negative energy. Such a mush.

Dewey
11-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Sellers want to sell for the most profit possible. Buyers want to buy for the lowest price possible. No duh, right? If someone doesn't make you an offer while asking you to negotiate against yourself, move on. I wouldn't even respond. Respond only to offers and legit item questions.

You ask, why not throw out a number that's fair? But that is precisely what is being negotiated. A potential buyer might ask, why not start with a number that is fair? I think you have items with very, very robust asking prices. Items where asking is 5-7.5x your purchase price (since I was underbidder or watcher of items you bought). And purchase prices were right about fair market value! Sorry, but I can't understand how you can cry foul about lowballers and be fine ripping the piss out of...in your words...active members of the communiy if they bought the item at asking.

Maybe I don't trust your pricing because I don't trust your expertise. I don't trust your write-ups or valuations, because you solicit much help from the board. My 2 cents.

1952boyntoncollector
11-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Someone claiming they are leaving the hobby but their prices listed for their cards are 'make me leave the hobby' because they are priced waayyy to high

someone listing a card they have asking for comments how nice looking it is....and then suddenly a few days later an emergency/house needs to be bought (i already covered that issue) so now the card is listed for sale...

Dewey
11-20-2017, 08:24 PM
OT: does your ebay store collect CA tax (since it says you are in CA) though you are in NY? I don't know how it works. But it always struck me as weird.

bnorth
11-20-2017, 08:29 PM
OT: does your ebay store collect CA tax (since it says you are in CA) though you are in NY? I don't know how it works. But it always struck me as weird.

It is probably just one of many divisions of the brick and mortar store.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Sellers want to sell for the most profit possible. Buyers want to buy for the lowest price possible. No duh, right? If someone doesn't make you an offer while asking you to negotiate against yourself, move on. I wouldn't even respond. Respond only to offers and legit item questions.

You ask, why not throw out a number that's fair? But that is precisely what is being negotiated. A potential buyer might ask, why not start with a number that is fair? I think you have items with very, very robust asking prices. Items where asking is 5-7.5x your purchase price (since I was underbidder or watcher of items you bought). And purchase prices were right about fair market value! Sorry, but I can't understand how you can cry foul about lowballers and be fine ripping the piss out of...in your words...active members of the communiy if they bought the item at asking.

Maybe I don't trust your pricing because I don't trust your expertise. I don't trust your write-ups or valuations, because you solicit much help from the board. My 2 cents.

LOL aren't you the one that offers me $8 on 15 stubs? stop it.

frankbmd
11-20-2017, 08:32 PM

$9 for 15 stubs - final offer.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 08:34 PM
It is probably just one of many divisions of the brick and mortar store.

The best is when people talk smack (like you two) but when I get something you need you come slithering out of your holes acting like everything is cool lol

I PRAY I get something you guys need bad, because I will never sell to either of you again.

Especially since you both nickel and dime me on $20 error cards and $15 undated ticket stubs lol

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Also Dewey,

How shall I gain expertise without asking questions? In just over a year I have learned more than I have ever expected in the ticket field, publication field , photo field, and much more. I have put in over 12 hours a day to the hobby, reading over 10 books, researching, asking questions, talking to experts, talking to dealers, talking to auction houses etc.

I am gonna be a force in a few years trust me. A big force. Everyone needs to start somewhere though. I am not scared to ask questions or look bad in the process if it means furthering my knowledge and or my career. I am not afraid of losing money and making bad buys, if it means learning a lesson and speeding up the learning curve.

My write ups take a lot of time and effort, and I put in hours of research on items, make calls to head authorities in the fields etc. so if me asking questions on the board makes you doubt me, then it's plain stupid.

bnorth
11-20-2017, 09:02 PM
The best is when people talk smack (like you two) but when I get something you need you come slithering out of your holes acting like everything is cool lol

I PRAY I get something you guys need bad, because I will never sell to either of you again.

Especially since you both nickel and dime me on $20 error cards and $15 undated ticket stubs lol

Please tell me and everyone else about any time I tried to nickel and dime you. We have had 2 transactions. 1) I slightly overpaid for a ticket stub I needed. 2) Several people made you trade offers on a group of 3 error cards and you accepted mine, so mine must have been the best offer.:)

I do know the return address from both transactions was to a brick and mortar card and memoribilia shop called Top Tier Collectibles.

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Back to some of the original thoughts >gasp< I post a price on everything I sell, and the vast majority of my inventory at any given show is stickered. That still doesn't stop people from approaching me live, and online, with "what's the best you can do on that." It happens a lot. It doesn't bother me so much on a $20 card, but I don't want to try and make a living constantly selling at "the best I can do" on $1000 items!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-20-2017, 09:05 PM
Please tell me and everyone else about any time I tried to nickel and dime you. We have had 2 transactions. 1) I slightly overpaid for a ticket stub I needed. 2) Several people made you trade offers on a group of 3 error cards and you accepted mine, so mine must have been the best offer.:)

I do know the return address from both transactions was to a brick and mortar card and memoribilia shop called Top Tier Collectibles.

Whats the brick and mortar store have to do with anything? I never understood your point.

Also the card I got from you in the 2nd transaction... well let's not get into that.

OsFan
11-20-2017, 09:29 PM
In the recent miniseries about how the FBI finally tracked down the Unabomber, that phrase took a front seat in the examinations and comparisons of text/writings in the case. I was laughing because I always hated the way the phrase is generally said (wrongly) in our country, "You can't have your cake and eat it too," and one of the things that led them to Kaczynski was his repeated use of the 'correct' wording of the phrase. Fascinating stuff.

Just finished that show last night on Netflix. Quality show. Lead character was a bit lacking in my opinion, still a fine show. I think Mindhunter one-ups it however. Also on Netflix.

mechanicalman
11-20-2017, 09:52 PM
have it to what? To hold? To eat again? To smash in someone's face? I need to know :)

If you have cake, you can end a sentence in a preposition.

Gradedcardman
11-21-2017, 05:58 AM

+1

yanks12025
11-21-2017, 06:55 AM

If only I could like this a thousand times.

markf31
11-21-2017, 07:03 AM
In the BST if a seller doesnt have a price listed, I click the back button and continue on my way. At a show, if a dealer does not have items priced visible to the customers, I keep walking to the next table.

Do I miss out on things this way, of course. But I have more important things to worry about and at the end of the day I never find myself sitting around saying to myself "Man, I have all this money to spend...and nothing to spend it on."

timzcardz
11-21-2017, 07:06 AM

Carry on.

Umm . . . if you eat enough cake you can!

sycks22
11-21-2017, 07:16 AM
If only I could like this a thousand times.

I always found this interesting. If you don't know much about a certain subject maybe don't make it a business.

packs
11-21-2017, 07:24 AM
Here's another one from my pet peeve book: If you've taken the same cards to the last 10 White Plains shows and haven't sold any of them, take a long look at why that is and stop showing up. I absolutely hate walking around a show and being surrounded by museums of not even quality cards that could be easily sold but are being sold by guys who want the world for them. It's nice that you're taking up space and the show looks filled out, but if you could put on a show filter for guys who aren't interested in actually selling their cards, you'll only have a few tables to look at.

frankbmd
11-21-2017, 07:25 AM
I always found this interesting. If you don't know much about a certain subject maybe don't make it a business.

I’ve decided to become an architect today. What kind of pencil do I need to get?

tschock
11-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Actually, you would be ending it in an adverb (assuming you meant "too" and not "to", that is). :D
/thread derail

pbspelly
11-21-2017, 08:01 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I feel that what a seller previously paid for a card is relevant. Unless you're using them as fuel to heat your home, cards don't have value independent of what people are wiling to pay for them. So what someone previously paid for a card helps set the value. If I want a card, I may be willing to pay above market, but no one wants to feel like they're getting fleeced.

Also, providing the seller with information about what comparable cards have sold for doesn't seem wrong to me. Maybe the seller doesn't know that his price is unlikely to be met. I'll do that on eBay sometimes, simply let someone know that the going price for something is such and such, that I'll give them a bit more than that, but that they're free to try and sell it for more if they want to.

packs
11-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Relevant in what way? If you overpaid for something, how does that have any impact on me as the buyer? Why would I overpay you for something because you overpaid yourself when I could just buy it from someone else? If the first thing a dealer has to say about a card is what it cost them, that's not a card I'm going to buy.

Paul S
11-21-2017, 08:12 AM
I’ve decided to become an architect today. What kind of pencil do I need to get?
Take your pick. Or, if you ever happen to be sitting near Jackie I suggest a felt tip.:D

Bill77
11-21-2017, 08:41 AM
I think it is also relevant to know when the seller bought the card in question. Just because someone paid top dollar for a Mark McGwire rookie back in 1998 doesn't mean it is still going to sell for that price today. Just like any other card out there that has recently trended up just because you bought at the peak of interest doesn't mean the value is going to hold.

autograf
11-21-2017, 08:45 AM
I get the offer thing for sure. I've started setting a low threshhold thing on most BO items on ebay. I just can't tolerate the $10 offer on the $100 item. I figure I set a $60-$70 floor and then I weed all the jackwagons out of the equation. If someone REALLY wants something, they'll find a way to offer whether there's a best offer option or not.

Marchillo
11-21-2017, 09:09 AM
I guess to the original point. I look at past sales and negotiate trying to stay on the low end as a buyer. Just as dealers pay lower prices when buying collections. If you picked up an item for $500 and you say it's worth $1500 why didn't it sell for $1500? Wrong audience? Bad marketing etc. I don't think it's insulting for someone to offer $650 on that item. If you don't want offers then make the prices firm.

On eBay I've come across some high volume dealers that accept 50% of a BO price. This has caused me to sometimes make these similar type offers with other sellers. Many times I get a flat out not accepted and other times I get a counter that is lower than I was willing to pay. So as a buyer who doesn't sell who has a modest budget if you want me to make an offer don't take offense if you feel it's too low. Just flat out say no or counter it. But why pay more when I don't have to.

I do agree to the point that if you paid $80 for a McGwire Olympic card in 98 and the market says it's worth $10 I don't give a d@mn. But recent sales do matter. That's why people shell out good money for VCP.

Marchillo
11-21-2017, 09:10 AM
I get the offer thing for sure. I've started setting a low threshhold thing on most BO items on ebay. I just can't tolerate the $10 offer on the $100 item. I figure I set a $60-$70 floor and then I weed all the jackwagons out of the equation. If someone REALLY wants something, they'll find a way to offer whether there's a best offer option or not.

And yes. If you set a threshold and an offer is made much lower you don't deal with it. Problem solved on eBay.

pariah1107
11-21-2017, 09:12 AM
If you know the market value of an item, mark a price, end of problem. If you have a problem with negotiating, eliminate the Make an Offer option, end of problem. I'm not sure the point of these posts, and one of the reasons I have not posted on net54 in months. How does this increase my knowledge of the hobby? It doesn't. Carry on collectors.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-21-2017, 09:37 AM
I want to just say that I believe some of my first post was misconstrued and I probably should have been more clear.

In regards to the first scenario, I was referring to ebay.

I assumed everyone already understood I had a number up and wasn't just blindly saying make an offer.

Anyone that watches my BST sees that I rarely do not put a price, unless it is something unique that I am not 100% sure of the market so want to field offers to get an idea as there are not many comps out there.

In regards to the second scenario,

I do not mean instances in which an item has a VCP etc.

Here is one example.

I recently purchased a 1919 World Series guest pin on ebay. I paid $750. The dealer knew it was worth more as did I, however he needed quick cash for a auction that was ending soon.

We agreed on a price and now it is public knowledge. I sent out some photos to people (dealers and collectors) to see if there was interest, and I would get back the same thing...

Is this the one that just sold on ebay for $750? I'd do X on it.

Ok so in my opinion an item like this is worth anywhere from 1500 up to 5000 or even more depending on how many are out there and how many people want to compete over it.

Low ball offers based on what I spent on the item in this case are insulting and plain wrong.

This is the context in which I meant it.

Hope that clarifies some of the qualms.

Exhibitman
11-21-2017, 09:40 AM

"Where are you at?"

"Don't end sentences in a preposition."

"OK: where are you at, jackass?"

On the OP, I agree w/r/t eBay listings with a Best Offer. My opening price is my offer, so I am soliciting actual offers, not requests to revise my offer. Not something to get bent out of shape about, though. The world is full of trolls, so just politely tell them to make an offer and you will consider it. Also, make sure you put a floor on your best offer by automatically rejecting anything below a specific level. It will weed out the bottom feeders. Eventually these trolls quit or make an actual offer. I had one of these perpetual tire-kickers who finally made an offer and it was more than I'd have accepted for the item, so you never know. Sometimes they will dust the cobwebs off their wallets and step up.

I also hate that "what's the best you can do" inquiry. It is one of those down-home-isms that creeps into commercial language because it feels less confrontational than asking a more direct question. Marty (hi Marty) has the best response: The best I can do is my listed price. Instead of that silly question I now ask "what is the absolute lowest price you will sell this for?" It is more direct and sort of rude but at least it is honest. Yes, I am aware that I end the sentence in a preposition; saying "for which you will sell this item" sounds like I am having tea with the queen.

I also agree that the "you paid this" tactic is annoying. It is also a bad negotiation technique. If I know what you paid and when you bought something, why would I let you know that I know? Divulging information about your strategy or resources gratuitously gives your opponent potentially useful data in countering you. The better strategy would be to offer something reasonable without explaining it. Account for the low price the seller paid to tempt the seller to accept and generate a quick profit. If I see a dealer pay $250 for a $1000 card I may offer him $750 to sell it immediately. I get a substantial discount to market and I put him into a quandary. A smart trader understands that a quick flip at a good profit and putting that money back to work is often a better strategy than sitting on inventory hoping for a top price buyer. I know I consider how much I paid and how long I held an item when I try to sell it. I learned that watching Alan Rosen in action at a show in San Francisco in the 1980s. He bought a great collection of 1950s cards for $5400 and within hours wholesaled pieces of the deal to other dealers. He didn't retail the cards to eke out top prices over the course of a year, he got in and got out and put the money back to work. Of course, that assumes you have the faith that you will continue to get deals. If you treat every deal like a live-or-die one, you can't take a reasonable offer and you end up with a lot of inventory.

1952boyntoncollector
11-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Back to some of the original thoughts >gasp< I post a price on everything I sell, and the vast majority of my inventory at any given show is stickered. That still doesn't stop people from approaching me live, and online, with "what's the best you can do on that." It happens a lot. It doesn't bother me so much on a $20 card, but I don't want to try and make a living constantly selling at "the best I can do" on $1000 items!

there are dealers that just say price firm or if its volume they give universal discount for totals over X amount. maybe also give free shipping or discount on payment method

Some buyers will walk if cant think they can negotiate but then you dont have to deal with 'whats the best you can do' stuff ...its your decision but always a downside on either.....

1952boyntoncollector
11-21-2017, 09:49 AM

check VCP or consumer reports

1952boyntoncollector
11-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Relevant in what way? If you overpaid for something, how does that have any impact on me as the buyer? Why would I overpay you for something because you overpaid yourself when I could just buy it from someone else? If the first thing a dealer has to say about a card is what it cost them, that's not a card I'm going to buy.

i dont care what a seller paid....but it doesnt bother me if they tell me. For one, i know every buyer in the world always points to a past sale of a 'better conditioned card' that sold for less...

In your statement you are assuming you can just buy it from someone else, what if you cant because the centering is unique from the card and it doesnt come up often etc. At least if the seller tells you what they paid for the card that will save time if you arent willing to pay more than that..

packs
11-21-2017, 09:54 AM
In my experience someone only says "I have X into it" regarding cards commonly bought and sold.

How much are you looking to get for that Cobb bat off?

Well, I have X into, so how about double X?

1952boyntoncollector
11-21-2017, 09:58 AM
In my experience someone only says "I have X into it" regarding cards commonly bought and sold.

How much are you looking to get for that Cobb bat off?

Well, I have X into, so how about double X?

i get you...but if its one of those 10 or so hot cards....like a green centered cobb....they are going 3x the price in some grades versus 6 months ago......for 99% of the cards i agree with you..

i usually comment like 'well everyone doesnt make money on every card...look at vcp, you can see specific cards go for more than later less.....someone taking a little loss is better than a big loss..

pbspelly
11-21-2017, 10:30 AM
At least if the seller tells you what they paid for the card that will save time if you arent willing to pay more than that..

Prescisely. Now, if they are lying about how much they paid for it, that's a different story.

Meanwhile, if someone only paid $250 for what would ordinarily be a $1000 card, it raises some questions about whether the exact item they have is actually worth $1000.

If you're buying a house, is it relevant what the house previously sold for? Or what the identical model across the street sold for a year ago?

A lot of people don't like being called out on how much of a profit they're making, but there may be legitimate reasons to bring up a prior sales price. As a seller, you can always refuse to sell if the offer is too low in your estimation.

markf31
11-21-2017, 11:48 AM
I sent out some photos to people (dealers and collectors) to see if there was interest, and I would get back the same thing...

Is this the one that just sold on ebay for $750? I'd do X on it.

Ok so in my opinion an item like this is worth anywhere from 1500 up to 5000 or even more depending on how many are out there and how many people want to compete over it.

So none of the multiple dealers who you contacted about this pin were interested in offering you more than you had paid for it. Dealers. People who are in this business to make money, were not willing to offer you more than you paid for it. You think its worth $1500 to $5000, or more...so if it WAS worth that much, dont you think that one of those dealers you contacted would have snatched it up at say $1000 ir $1200 if they knew it was worth $1500 to $5000? I mean, they would make a 25-50% profit at a minimum...right up a dealers alley! Or maybe your valuation of this pin is way off base and the true valuation of what is a relatively non-descript pin that simply says "1919 world's Series" of which no other examples can be found...is closer to, or less than, the price you actually paid for it.

Just a thought.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-21-2017, 11:57 AM
So none of the multiple dealers who you contacted about this pin were interested in offering you more than you had paid for it. Dealers. People who are in this business to make money, were not willing to offer you more than you paid for it. You think its worth $1500 to $5000, or more...so if it WAS worth that much, dont you think that one of those dealers you contacted would have snatched it up at say $1000 ir $1200 if they knew it was worth $1500 to $5000? I mean, they would make a 25-50% profit at a minimum...right up a dealers alley! Or maybe your valuation of this pin is way off base and the true valuation of what is a relatively non-descript pin that simply says "1919 world's Series" of which no other examples can be found...is closer to, or less than, the price you actually paid for it.

Just a thought.

I was being offered 900-1000 (because they knew I paid $750.

Would you sell a 1919 guess pass for a 25% profit? Be honest. And do you really think it's worth less than $1500?

bobbyw8469
11-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Would you sell a 1919 guess pass for a 25% profit? Be honest. And do you really think it's worth less than $1500?

Yes....and not think twice about it. You got lucky to get it as cheap as you did. I thought I got lucky to get my 1932 US Caramel Lefty Grove as cheap as I did. Until someone won it for $300 less than me. Then I realized I wasn't lucky at all. I was a fool. Take the profit and run.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-21-2017, 12:19 PM
I disagree with that (no hard feelings as I respect your opinion). When holding a piece such as this, the reward far outweighs the risk in my opinion. The down side is $750 (which it's not, but if I lost it then yes). The upside is... Who Knows?

On a baseball card, where the market is set for the most part, the ceiling is only so high.

markf31
11-21-2017, 12:19 PM
I was being offered 900-1000 (because they knew I paid $750.

If a dealer thought there was money to be made by paying more, they would have. They're goal is to make money so if they thought it was valuable enough to buy from you at say 1400 and sell in excess of say $1750 for a profit of at least 25% then I'm pretty sure every dealer would have jumped at that chance. They're in the business to make money, its all percentages to them. They dont care what they have to pay for an item, as long as they get it for under a certain percentage of what they feel the can comfortably sell it for and none of those dealers you offered it to felt the item was that valuable...the story spells that out. Just because you think its value is between $1500 and $5000 does not mean the market will bear out your valuation.

As for me? I wouldnt think to purchase that pin for anywhere close to what you paid for it. The market might prove me wrong and so be it. But a non-descript pin that simply says "1919 World's Series" on a generic baseball medallion...that makes no mention of the Reds, Cincinnati, the White Sox, or Chicago...just doesnt hold the value it does to me, that it apparently does to you. Just my opinion.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-21-2017, 12:26 PM
If a dealer thought there was money to be made by paying more, they would have. They're goal is to make money so if they thought it was valuable enough to buy from you at say 1400 and sell in excess of say $1750 for a profit of at least 25% then I'm pretty sure every dealer would have jumped at that chance. They're in the business to make money, its all percentages to them. They dont care what they have to pay for an item, as long as they get it for under a certain percentage of what they feel the can comfortably sell it for and none of those dealers you offered it to felt the item was that valuable...the story spells that out. Just because you think its value is between $1500 and $5000 does not mean the market will bear out your valuation.

As for me? I wouldnt think to purchase that pin for anywhere close to what you paid for it. The market might prove me wrong and so be it. But a non-descript pin that simply says "1919 World's Series" on a generic baseball medallion...that makes no mention of the Reds, Cincinnati, the White Sox, or Chicago...just doesnt hold the value it does to me, that it apparently does to you. Just my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion on this. I guess time will tell. You are failing to mention collector's and not just dealers which I mentioned. In total 3 people answered me. 2 dealers and 1 collector.

A lot of times, I find that dealers are scared to pay up on a item with no history. Like I said, there is no exact market on this piece as it has never traded. It came from Muchinsky's collection who said it came from a White Sox executive.

I don't mind taking chances on weird items. Maybe to a fault, but it's what makes this hobby fun to me. Seeing stuff that's never been seen etc.

markf31
11-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Perhaps this was a poor example for this specific pet peeve of yours then? You can hardly blame anyone who is skeptical of paying the valuation you think it has, when its a unique item where the only market history, is the history you established when you bought it.

timzcardz
11-21-2017, 12:38 PM
I've yet to see a business make money sitting on inventory.

Turning $750 into $100 is a 33% increase. By the third flip you've more than doubled your money.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Turning $750 into $100 is a 33% increase. By the third flip you've more than doubled your money.

And $750 into $2000 is a 275% increase and will probably take the same time as flipping 10 items for 33%

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Perhaps this was a poor example for this specific pet peeve of yours then? You can hardly blame anyone who is skeptical of paying the valuation you think it has, when its a unique item where the only market history, is the history you established when you bought it.

It was just one example lol I said numerous things happened. You are right though it wasn't the absolute best example, just the most recent.

Stampsfan
11-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Man oh man, I miss a couple of days, and lots of entertaining banter. I have opinions on these subjects too, so in summary...
I feel everyone is entitled to place whatever price they want on any item, and everyone is entitled to make whatever offer they like. People getting offended and getting their panties in a knot is a little silly. Make the offer, don't accept the offer, and simply move on. Getting personally offended is a waste of energy.

In terms of interest and entertainment...
This one surprised me. So using proper grammar helped pin this guy down? Wow!!! That is sad on so many levels.

Love those guys.
Just sayin.
This one made me laugh this afternoon, I thought it couldn't be topped...

... until this statement. I snorted out loud here at work over lunch. Well done Frank. :D

bobbyw8469
11-21-2017, 01:27 PM

Tell that to the people that have sat on ANY of the high grade rookies listed below...
NAMATH
CLEMENTE
AARON
JIM BROWN
MANTLE

I would love to have some of those beauties back.

Exhibitman
11-21-2017, 02:18 PM
It really depends on the card and the timing. If the card is rare, you are justified in holding out for your price. Maybe you are wrong and the card won't sell, but maybe you are right and the card will sell to that collector who has to have one and is willing to pay up to get it. It is a calculated risk that can pay off. Worst case scenario, you end up with a great card to enjoy for a while. I don't consider that the same as having inventory of mainstream common stuff. That stuff needs to move, in and out, get the money back to work. But for rare cards, I am just dandy with waiting. When someone balks at my ask for that kind of card, I tell them to go find one. If they can, vaya con dios. If not, I am still here, but you will pay my price for the card or you won't own it. And if you come back then I know you cannot find it elsewhere so my willingness to compromise is going to be lower...because I know.

Sorry if that seems cold-blooded or mercenary, but I cheerfully admit to it. At least I am polite...

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-21-2017, 05:02 PM
it really depends on the card and the timing. If the card is rare, you are justified in holding out for your price. Maybe you are wrong and the card won't sell, but maybe you are right and the card will sell to that collector who has to have one and is willing to pay up to get it. It is a calculated risk that can pay off. Worst case scenario, you end up with a great card to enjoy for a while. I don't consider that the same as having inventory of mainstream common stuff. That stuff needs to move, in and out, get the money back to work. But for rare cards, i am just dandy with waiting. When someone balks at my ask for that kind of card, i tell them to go find one. If they can, vaya con dios. If not, i am still here, but you will pay my price for the card or you won't own it. And if you come back then i know you cannot find it elsewhere so my willingness to compromise is going to be lower...because i know.

Sorry if that seems cold-blooded or mercenary, but i cheerfully admit to it. At least i am polite...

+100000

1952boyntoncollector
11-21-2017, 06:52 PM
It really depends on the card and the timing. If the card is rare, you are justified in holding out for your price. Maybe you are wrong and the card won't sell, but maybe you are right and the card will sell to that collector who has to have one and is willing to pay up to get it. It is a calculated risk that can pay off. Worst case scenario, you end up with a great card to enjoy for a while. I don't consider that the same as having inventory of mainstream common stuff. That stuff needs to move, in and out, get the money back to work. But for rare cards, I am just dandy with waiting. When someone balks at my ask for that kind of card, I tell them to go find one. If they can, vaya con dios. If not, I am still here, but you will pay my price for the card or you won't own it. And if you come back then I know you cannot find it elsewhere so my willingness to compromise is going to be lower...because I know.

Sorry if that seems cold-blooded or mercenary, but I cheerfully admit to it. At least I am polite...

Well a few years later if you still have the card and no takers...it doesnt maker the seller position stronger...

Luke
11-21-2017, 07:31 PM
In my opinion, all you guys who complain about offers on ebay are just doing it wrong. If a low offer can bother you, then don't use Best Offer. Or if you want to use Best Offer, just set the threshold so you don't have to respond to the offers you deem ridiculous. I haven't had a single thing to complain about on ebay in the last 2 years, and it's because I just know what my price is and I list it for that price.

If you feel like you gain something from taking offers, then you just have to take the bad with the good.

Snapolit1
11-21-2017, 07:37 PM
In my opinion, all you guys who complain about offers on ebay are just doing it wrong. If a low offer can bother you, then don't use Best Offer. Or if you want to use Best Offer, just set the threshold so you don't have to respond to the offers you deem ridiculous. I haven't had a single thing to complain about on ebay in the last 2 years, and it's because I just know what my price is and I list it for that price.

If you feel like you gain something from taking offers, then you just have to take the bad with the good.

All 100% true. After the last few silly offers I received I always now put some kind of a reasonable floor on automatically rejecting silly low ball offers.

ibuysportsephemera
11-21-2017, 07:59 PM

Well said.....+1000

RedsFan1941
11-21-2017, 08:10 PM

yes, selling on eBay isn't rocket science. nor is saying "no" to an offer and moving on. at least to most people.

rainier2004
11-21-2017, 09:38 PM
How difficult is this?

If you don't like "offers" then set a floor or a BIN...I guess coming to a national message board and debating this is more productive somehow. If its in the BST then set a price. Either way, make it clear in the OP what in the hell you are talking about.

Coming to the same place to complain about buyers where you gain "knowledge" is bad form...argue with the same people you learn from. Others learn from past sales, similar examples and analyzing trends in the market place which seems to be over your head while you rely on these opinions to create a business model that quite frankly comes off as predatory. How about make some contribution to this board? Where is your expertise? This is a community, not some place to displace your passive-aggressive attitude to get what you want.

S Suck0w

Dewey
11-21-2017, 10:13 PM
I've never made an offer on anything. Ever. Period. Made one inquiry via net54 months ago on bst about you saying you are in NY though your ebay store says otherwise.

Is this where I insert the obligatory lol?

Dewey
11-21-2017, 10:41 PM

Just to be clear. One more time. You and I have never made a deal. I've pm'd once on an item asking about the location disparity between ebay and net54. I asked for clarity. You gave little. That is the sum total of our communication. I never even got to the point of a number because, right or wrong, I didn't trust you. You have me confused with someone else.

felada
11-22-2017, 04:41 AM
Well stated.
How difficult is this?

If you don't like "offers" then set a floor or a BIN...I guess coming to a national message board and debating this is more productive somehow. If its in the BST then set a price. Either way, make it clear in the OP what in the hell you are talking about.

Coming to the same place to complain about buyers where you gain "knowledge" is bad form...argue with the same people you learn from. Others learn from past sales, similar examples and analyzing trends in the market place which seems to be over your head while you rely on these opinions to create a business model that quite frankly comes off as predatory. How about make some contribution to this board? Where is your expertise? This is a community, not some place to displace your passive-aggressive attitude to get what you want.

S Suck0w

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 07:18 AM
How difficult is this?

S Suck0w

Ok I want to address this post.

If you don't like "offers" then set a floor or a BIN

I will be doing so after this thread. I used to and got away from it and don't know why I haven't gone back yet. I forgot in all honesty.

I guess coming to a national message board and debating this is more productive somehow.

It is definitely not productive, however I rarely vent, so I would like to to invoke my first amendment right.

If its in the BST then set a price. Either way, make it clear in the OP what in the hell you are talking about.

I have attempted to clarify myself through numerous replies on this thread. Not sure if you have seen them or read through them but I stated very clearly in replies and did my best to answer questions.

Coming to the same place to complain about buyers where you gain "knowledge" is bad form...argue with the same people you learn from.

This was not my intention, and I never made mention of any specific buyer on Net in my initial post. It was only after being provoked by certain buyers whom are culprits of what I am speaking about that I said something direct. As a "dealer" now, I am sure I am speaking for a lot of dealers with this post whether or not they will chime in and agree is another thing.

Others learn from past sales, similar examples and analyzing trends in the market place which seems to be over your head while you rely on these opinions to create a business model that quite frankly comes off as predatory.

It's not rocket science in all honesty. I don't deal much in cards, so I rely more on worth point, and past auction results at auction houses as well as advice from certain dealers that have taken me under their wings so to speak when making prices, due to the types of items I sell. I try to only offer unique items that are not easily attainable on the open market, and by effectively marketing them I hope to bring a profit. I by no means am predatory and you can ask anyone on here who has ever dealt with me.. I am as honest a person as they comes and truthfully I hope someone will chime in here in regards to this. I always work with people on price, and am a pretty easy person to deal with when I buy as well, as many can attest to.

How about make some contribution to this board? Where is your expertise?

I have tried numerous times to make contributions, most recent example being offering my advice of the message board to anyone that wanted help with Jackie Robinson autographs about a month ago. (feel free to go check) My expertise lies in Brooklyn Dodgers and Jackie Robinson, and I have definitely chimed in and helped those with questions pertaining to my area of knowledge.

This is a community, not some place to displace your passive-aggressive attitude to get what you want.

I totally agree with you here and maybe I should not have made this post, but I was getting a mad run of squids (term I use for slimy cheap buyers) and felt compelled to create a thread. Not sure what you mean by me using this thread to get what I want though. I did not want anything from this, just a mere outlet to let out my bottled up frustration, and I ran out of pages in my diary :)

As for you Mr. Dewey. Oh man oh man what shall we do with you?

Mr. Fake News himself.

I've never made an offer on anything. Ever. Period. Made one inquiry via net54 months ago on bst about you saying you are in NY though your ebay store says otherwise.

Is this where I insert the obligatory lol?

no this is where I insert this from October 27th

Keep in mind I get this literally the day after the one at Leland's sells for $1650. Yea thanks for the offer.

Just to be clear. One more time. You and I have never made a deal. I've pm'd once on an item asking about the location disparity between ebay and net54. I asked for clarity. You gave little. That is the sum total of our communication. I never even got to the point of a number because, right or wrong, I didn't trust you. You have me confused with someone else.

to this i say

as well as you nickel and dimed me on a undated Boston Red Sox grand stand ticket back in February and actually purchased it because "it had Ted Williams number on it"

Bpm0014
11-22-2017, 07:26 AM
I by no means am predatory and you can ask anyone on here who has ever dealt with me.. I am as honest a person as they comes and truthfully I hope someone will chime in here in regards to this.

I'll chime in. I've done numerous deals with Stephen. I've never met him, never knew him before Net54, but a class act all the way who's always asking questions and always trying to learn more about the hobby whom I never mind helping out. Ever.

Brendan

bnorth
11-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Whats the brick and mortar store have to do with anything? I never understood your point.

Also the card I got from you in the 2nd transaction... well let's not get into that.

I ask about the Brick and Mortar store because you always claim to just be a collector. I received 2 items from you with Top Tier Collectibles as a return address and your personal email address used to be the stores contact email address. Do you work there?

As far as the second transaction. You traded me $20(your #) worth of error cards and I sent you a 1933 Goudey Tony Lazzeri. I told you it was a beater and sent scans of the front and back. Seriously how much more did you want my trade card to be worth compared to the $20 cards you sent me?

frankbmd
11-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Stephen,

To become a major force in the hobby, which is your stated intent, I would suggest starting here with a vintage book published in 1936, but still available.

However, if you want to continue your present trajectory, going deeper may only require a better tool.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 07:39 AM

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 07:42 AM
I ask about the Brick and Mortar store because you always claim to just be a collector. I received 2 items from you with Top Tier Collectibles as a return address and your personal email address used to be the stores contact email address. Do you work there? As far as the second transaction. You traded me $20(your #) worth of error cards and I sent you a 1933 Goudey Tony Lazzeri. I told you it was a beater and sent scans of the front and back. Seriously how much more did you want my trade card to be worth compared to the $20 cards you sent me?

Let's address this first. I opened up a store front for 3 months back in 2013 at 27 years old where I sold Fatheads, McFarlands figurines, shiny new baseball card boxes, and memorabilia which I took in on consignment when I opened the doors.

Foot traffic was absolutely putrid so I closed the doors and sold my inventory off online and to local dealers.

I not only worked there, I was the only employee, and it was my store! lol

I don't know if you are aware, but you can make any address your business address even if you know longer have a business location... BEN'S SPORTS CARDS and then your address. It's easy.

Secondly,

I sent you way more than $20 worth of error cards as someone offered me $35 for them (the seaver was worth more than $20 alone) and you said your Lazzeri was at least a $50 card if I recall.

Turns out I got a beater that when the customer I sold it to submitted it, it came back altered which I am sure you had no idea about...?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 07:45 AM
Stephen,

To become a major force in the hobby, which is your stated intent, I would suggest starting here with a vintage book published in 1936, but still available.

However, if you want to continue your present trajectory, going deeper may only require a better tool.

The people I am not influencing are people I wouldn't want to deal with anyways. I want to attract people whom I enjoy speaking to and enjoy doing business with.

Also, didn't you PM me once saying you were never talking to me again because I wouldn't trade my T205 Walter Johnson for you PSA 7 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson that was over graded?

Why do you keep posting negative things towards me in my threads and / or adding fuel to the fire always?

sycks22
11-22-2017, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=EYECOLLECTVINTAGE;1722764]Ok I want to address this post.

If you don't like "offers" then set a floor or a BIN

I will be doing so after this thread. I used to and got away from it and don't know why I haven't gone back yet. I forgot in all honesty.

I guess coming to a national message board and debating this is more productive somehow.

It is definitely not productive, however I rarely vent, so I would like to to invoke my first amendment right.

If its in the BST then set a price. Either way, make it clear in the OP what in the hell you are talking about.

I have attempted to clarify myself through numerous replies on this thread. Not sure if you have seen them or read through them but I stated very clearly in replies and did my best to answer questions.

Coming to the same place to complain about buyers where you gain "knowledge" is bad form...argue with the same people you learn from.

This was not my intention, and I never made mention of any specific buyer on Net in my initial post. It was only after being provoked by certain buyers whom are culprits of what I am speaking about that I said something direct. As a "dealer" now, I am sure I am speaking for a lot of dealers with this post whether or not they will chime in and agree is another thing.

Others learn from past sales, similar examples and analyzing trends in the market place which seems to be over your head while you rely on these opinions to create a business model that quite frankly comes off as predatory.

It's not rocket science in all honesty. I don't deal much in cards, so I rely more on worth point, and past auction results at auction houses as well as advice from certain dealers that have taken me under their wings so to speak when making prices, due to the types of items I sell. I try to only offer unique items that are not easily attainable on the open market, and by effectively marketing them I hope to bring a profit. I by no means am predatory and you can ask anyone on here who has ever dealt with me.. I am as honest a person as they comes and truthfully I hope someone will chime in here in regards to this. I always work with people on price, and am a pretty easy person to deal with when I buy as well, as many can attest to.

How about make some contribution to this board? Where is your expertise?

I have tried numerous times to make contributions, most recent example being offering my advice of the message board to anyone that wanted help with Jackie Robinson autographs about a month ago. (feel free to go check) My expertise lies in Brooklyn Dodgers and Jackie Robinson, and I have definitely chimed in and helped those with questions pertaining to my area of knowledge.

This is a community, not some place to displace your passive-aggressive attitude to get what you want.

I totally agree with you here and maybe I should not have made this post, but I was getting a mad run of squids (term I use for slimy cheap buyers) and felt compelled to create a thread. Not sure what you mean by me using this thread to get what I want though. I did not want anything from this, just a mere outlet to let out my bottled up frustration, and I ran out of pages in my diary :)

As for you Mr. Dewey. Oh man oh man what shall we do with you?

Mr. Fake News himself.

no this is where I insert this from October 27th

Keep in mind I get this literally the day after the one at Leland's sells for $1650. Yea thanks for the offer.

to this i say

as well as you nickel and dimed me on a undated Boston Red Sox grand stand ticket back in February and actually purchased it because "it had Ted Williams number on it"

[

Maybe it's just me, but if someone posted my paypal info on here I'd be pissed. I'd suggest you pull that down immediately.

Leon
11-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Maybe it's just me, but if someone posted my paypal info on here I'd be pissed. I'd suggest you pull that down immediately.

What would someone do with paypal info?
My paypal account is leonl@flash.net.
if anyone wants to send me money please feel free to.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 07:57 AM
huh? I don't see the big deal Pete but I am sorry if it offended anyone.

ibuysportsephemera
11-22-2017, 08:01 AM
I don't care if you are correct about him making offers...it is really bad form for you to post this. You should have just posted that you have emails that say differently and left it at that.

I have asked before and others have also asked....why is your eBay address California and your actual address New York?

Jeff

frankbmd
11-22-2017, 08:02 AM
What would someone do with paypal info?
My paypal account is leonl@flash.net.
if anyone wants to send me money please feel free to.

Leon,

I still have some euros from our recent Mediterranean trip. Do you accept those?

Leon
11-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Leon,

I still have some euros from our recent Mediterranean trip. Do you accept those?

I am into Bitcoins, got any of those you can paypal me?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 08:07 AM
I don't care if you are correct about him making offers...it is really bad form for you to post this. You should have just posted that you have emails that say differently and left it at that.

I have asked before and others have also asked....why is your eBay address California and your actual address New York?

Jeff

I answered this question every single time. I lived in California for some time in 2015 as a songwriter and was using eBay to put money in my pocket as a side job. I was registered in CA.

I have moved back to NY and have changed the address but it keeps showing CA. No idea why. I don't understand how it's a big deal in any way though. You buy from me you get your item. Who cares what state it came from? I pay NYS sales tax as well and file NYS returns.

Look at my feedback. I am 100000% on the up and up.

Never understood the big deal over this issue.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Now you know my life story in a nutshell everyone.

Anyone else want to share?

bnorth
11-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Let's address this first. I opened up a store front for 3 months back in 2013 at 27 years old where I sold Fatheads, McFarlands figurines, shiny new baseball card boxes, and memorabilia which I took in on consignment when I opened the doors.

Foot traffic was absolutely putrid so I closed the doors and sold my inventory off online and to local dealers.

I not only worked there, I was the only employee, and it was my store! lol

I don't know if you are aware, but you can make any address your business address even if you know longer have a business location... BEN'S SPORTS CARDS and then your address. It's easy.

Secondly,

I sent you way more than $20 worth of error cards as someone offered me $35 for them (the seaver was worth more than $20 alone) and you said your Lazzeri was at least a $50 card if I recall.

Turns out I got a beater that when the customer I sold it to submitted it, it came back altered which I am sure you had no idea about...?

I call BS on your entire post. Your story has changed so much on this forum I like most do not believe a word you post. Even in this thread you have changed your story.:eek:

Last post in this thread as I was told never argue with an idiot. People reading might not be able to tell who is who.:D

Peter_Spaeth
11-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Leon,

There is too much drachma on this thread, do you agree franc?

vintagetoppsguy
11-22-2017, 08:49 AM

Mark agrees :D

frankbmd
11-22-2017, 08:50 AM

And here's a shilling for your thoughts. Mark my words.

Bliggity
11-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Euro killing me with these puns.

markf31
11-22-2017, 09:23 AM

I don't think you understand how the first amendment works.

Dewey
11-22-2017, 09:45 AM
That's not me. You can continue to slander me, but like I said you have me confused with someone else. You showed private correspondence between you and a different net54 member. Not me. Bad form.

If bringing unique items to market means buying dirt cheap historicimages pictures that are worth about what you paid then trying to flip for 10x is what you have in mind, go nuts. You are free to do it, all in the name of being a force in this hobby. I am free to not trust you.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 09:49 AM
That's not me. You can continue to slander me, but like I said you have me confused with someone else. You showed private correspondence between you and a different net54 member. Not me. Bad form.

If bringing unique items to market means buying dirt cheap historicimages pictures that are worth about what you paid then trying to flip for 10x is what you have in mind, go nuts. You are free to do it, all in the name of being a force in this hobby. I am free to not trust you.

That is 100% my mistake then. How many Dewey's can there be? I apologize for that. I truly am sorry for the mix up. Thanks for talking trash about me anyways though.

trdcrdkid
11-22-2017, 09:57 AM
http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/tnt-logo-01.jpg

Dewey
11-22-2017, 10:12 AM
That is 100% my mistake then. How many Dewey's can there be? I apologize for that. I truly am sorry for the mix up. Thanks for talking trash about me anyways though.
If you are sorry you will edit out the comments that lie about me and throw a different net54 member under the bus.

Marchillo
11-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Dewey Evans - very underrated. Hit the most home runs in the American League in the 80's.

Dewey Decimal

Don't want to have all the fun.

Bliggity
11-22-2017, 10:28 AM
https://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/Bliggity/forum-image-hosting/57085/dewey

vintagetoppsguy
11-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Dewey all agree that this thread is ridiculous?

Sean
11-22-2017, 10:32 AM
https://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/Bliggity/forum-image-hosting/57085/dewey

That's a good one, but in that photo the headline turned out to be wrong. :D

frankbmd
11-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Let's lawyer up.

pariah1107
11-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Walk Card : The Dewey Pox Story

Peter_Spaeth
11-22-2017, 10:43 AM
No dewy young miss who keeps resisting
All the time she keeps insisting

hangman62
11-22-2017, 10:48 AM
and don't dare forget \
Dewey Decimal System

1952boyntoncollector
11-22-2017, 10:55 AM

another famous period quote.

ill add '..."

1952boyntoncollector
11-22-2017, 10:57 AM
The people I am not influencing are people I wouldn't want to deal with anyways. I want to attract people whom I enjoy speaking to and enjoy doing business with.

Also, didn't you PM me once saying you were never talking to me again because I wouldn't trade my T205 Walter Johnson for you PSA 7 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson that was over graded?

Why do you keep posting negative things towards me in my threads and / or adding fuel to the fire always?

when you say the psa 7 1956 topps jackie robinson was over graded..was it later submitted and it receive a lower grade? or are you just throwing out accusations and opinions.

You also stated you were a songwriter in CA.... I hope you dont go on internet boards and ask for lyrics.

Dewey2007
11-22-2017, 11:42 AM
I love all the great Dewey references! You all left out Donald's nephews: Huey, Dewey, and Louie

Whenever I meet someone new and tell them my name and get a quizzical look I always say "I'm the middle duck" and most get it...

frankbmd
11-22-2017, 12:18 PM
when you say the psa 7 1956 topps jackie robinson was over graded..was it later submitted and it receive a lower grade? or are you just throwing out accusations and opinions.

You also stated you were a songwriter in CA.... I hope you dont go on internet boards and ask for lyrics.

PSA is incorrect.

7 is incorrect.

Over graded is an opinion.

Never let the facts interfere with your story.:eek:

Any one is welcome to send me a PM.

I will return a scan of the card that is still available.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 12:20 PM
PSA is incorrect.

7 is incorrect.

Over graded is an opinion.

Never let the facts interfere with your story.:eek:

Any one is welcome to send me a PM.

I will return a scan of the card that is still available.

Even worse. was it a PSA 6?

frankbmd
11-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Even worse. was it a PSA 6?

Still wrong.

Guess again.:D

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Still wrong.

Guess again.:D

Please don't say a PSA 5. That would be the worst offer ever.

pokerplyr80
11-22-2017, 12:31 PM
The fact that you would post private emails and PayPal transactions on a public forum to try to make a point is beyond ridiculous. And it wasn't even from the person you were arguing with. In my opinion that is so far over the line of what should be considered acceptable behavior that I hope anyone who has read this thread thinks long and hard before considering doing business with you.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 12:35 PM
The fact that you would post private emails and PayPal transactions on a public forum to try to make a point is beyond ridiculous. And it wasn't even from the person you were arguing with. In my opinion that is so far over the line of what should be considered acceptable behavior that I hope anyone who has read this thread thinks long and hard before considering doing business with you.

I have corrected the mistake and they have been deleted. I definitely disagree with you though, as if it was the right person, me posting those photos was 100% warranted to protect my reputation.

Shoeless Moe
11-22-2017, 12:46 PM
other Dewey watching this Dewey and Stephen go at it...

pokerplyr80
11-22-2017, 12:47 PM
I have corrected the mistake and they have been deleted. I definitely disagree with you though, as if it was the right person, me posting those photos was 100% warranted to protect my reputation.

In trying to protect your reputation you have ruined it in my opinion. It wasn't that great around here before this thread from the posts I have seen. I would have reached out to this other Dewey with a pm that said some thing like "hey remember this transaction" before publicly posting the details online. If it was the right guy he could have retracted his claim and apologized. If he refused I could then see a justification for posting private correspondence.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 01:00 PM
In trying to protect your reputation you have ruined it in my opinion. It wasn't that great around here before this thread from the posts I have seen. I would have reached out to this other Dewey with a pm that said some thing like "hey remember this transaction" before publicly posting the details online. If it was the right guy he could have retracted his claim and apologized. If he refused I could then see a justification for posting private correspondence.

I have never done anything to anyone on here and every transaction I have done on here has gone flawless minus that one guy that scammed me and got banned.

How my reputation wasn't that good I do not understand.

But as my boy Lavar says.. HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/8k4097s1.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/8k4097s1/n-a)

Shoeless Moe
11-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Not the guy I'd pick to represent me, but that aside I too have had flawless transactions with Dewey˛ hater, Stephen. Good dude!

pokerplyr80
11-22-2017, 01:27 PM
You quoting Lavar Ball seems quite appropriate. Happy Thanks Giving.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-22-2017, 01:38 PM
You quoting Lavar Ball seems quite appropriate. Happy Thanks Giving.

Damn no one can take a joke lol

Bpm0014
11-22-2017, 01:39 PM
It wasn't that great around here before this thread

That's completely false.

He may be guilty of being a little aggressive, or eager to learn, or going full speed ahead without knowing much, and may have rubbed some of the veterans the wrong way........but his reputation was never in question. As someone who has done multiple deals with him, I'll attest to that.

steve B
11-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Some jokes get old fast, and Lavar is one of them. FWIW Don't join him.

Leon
11-22-2017, 01:53 PM

As long as your next one isn't about a hundred year old lady you should be fine.

1952boyntoncollector
11-22-2017, 02:42 PM
It wasn't that great around here before this thread

That's completely false.

He may be guilty of being a little aggressive, or eager to learn, or going full speed ahead without knowing much, and may have rubbed some of the veterans the wrong way........but his reputation was never in question. As someone who has done multiple deals with him, I'll attest to that.

pokerplr said the guys reputation wasnt great based on the posts he read, and you answered 'thats completely false' I not sure someone's opinion of posts he read can be completely false.

being rubbed the wrong way can mean many things......

pokerplyr80
11-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Thanks Jake, and yes the impression I have gathered is that opinion is mixed. Stephen has at least annoyed many members here, myself included. I have read some posts from those who appreciate his enthusiasm and shared positive experiences in transactions. And others that have a problem with his conduct. I already shared my thoughts in this thread so I will leave it at that. But a reputation can be damaged by more than just a bad experience in a transaction or running a scam.

As I rarely see anything negative publicly posted about more than a handful of members I stand by my previous statement. If bpm0014 disagrees so be it.

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-22-2017, 05:13 PM

__________________________________________________ __________________

I have sold to Stephen a couple times. I would maintain you have to get up pretty early in the morning to prey on me. Have never had any issues dealing with him.