PDA

View Full Version : Roger Maris Signed Photo - Thoughts?

ATP
11-19-2017, 09:44 PM
What's the consensus on this signed Maris photo inscribed to "Jeffrey". Thanks for looking :)

Runscott
11-20-2017, 10:43 AM
The 'Maris' is spot-on compared to many PSA examples. I don't like the ones where the right leg of the 'R' goes down and right as opposed to right and down, but that's just me.

It's either real or it's an example by a very prolific forger who has not yet been figured out by PSA.

ATP
11-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the reply on the Maris autogrpah, Scott, I appreciate it :)

Runscott
11-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the reply on the Maris autogrpah, Scott, I appreciate it :)

My pleasure Jeff. I'm not a professional autograph authenticator, so I can give opinions without worrying about soiling my reputation :)

BTW - when I said 'Maris' I was referring to 'Maris' in the autograph, not the entire autograph. Curiously (to me), I found examples where the 'Maris' portion matched yours exactly, but the 'Roger' part did not. Another reason why I am not fond of this version of his autograph, even though it might be legit.

pbspelly
11-21-2017, 10:51 AM
The 'Maris' is spot-on compared to many PSA examples. I don't like the ones where the right leg of the 'R' goes down and right as opposed to right and down, but that's just me.

It's either real or it's an example by a very prolific forger who has not yet been figured out by PSA.

Prolific or proficient?

Runscott
11-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Prolific or proficient?

Couldn't say - I honestly don't know if it's real. It isn't in my wheelhouse.

If I were interested in this autograph I would make a few calls and then could easily make a decision. I do that every now and then when I see a 1970+ Mantle autograph that looks interesting.

ATP
11-21-2017, 11:42 AM
For anyone interested, it ended up selling for around $140 or so and I did not buy it. It looked like it was acquired through the mail upon further investigation, as it had the mailing envelope from 1983 but it wasn't pictured. There were other autographs in the auction that I felt were authentic, but there were also a lot of stamped, secretarials, etc from TTM acquisition. I did get a few items as I thought they were neat that most were inscribed to my name. I forgot to check back on it until the auction had ended so only some initial bids on lower items held up. It was a small auction house and the closing time was 3:00 pacific time so it threw me off.

w7imel
11-21-2017, 10:13 PM
For what its worth its identical signature to my 1983 ball, not sure if that was how he signed during that period. Mine JSA authenticated and Net54 authenticated as well...:D:D:D:D

w7imel
11-21-2017, 10:16 PM
For anyone interested, it ended up selling for around $140 or so and I did not buy it. It looked like it was acquired through the mail upon further investigation, as it had the mailing envelope from 1983 but it wasn't pictured. There were other autographs in the auction that I felt were authentic, but there were also a lot of stamped, secretarials, etc from TTM acquisition. I did get a few items as I thought they were neat that most were inscribed to my name. I forgot to check back on it until the auction had ended so only some initial bids on lower items held up. It was a small auction house and the closing time was 3:00 pacific time so it threw me off.

For 140 bucks I would have bought it and changed my name to Jeffery!!!:D:D:D:p

2dueces
11-22-2017, 06:31 AM
His penmanship on that ball is beautiful. His signature should be an example for todays players on how to sign their names, instead of the scribbles most call autographs.

Runscott
11-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Mike, looking at yours and comparing the two, I would not hesitate to purchase the photo if interested in it.

I really enjoyed your initial story about obtaining that ball - I hope you never get rid of it.

w7imel
11-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Mike, looking at yours and comparing the two, I would not hesitate to purchase the photo if interested in it.

I really enjoyed your initial story about obtaining that ball - I hope you never get rid of it.

I have several pictures of it hanging at office and home, love the ball dont ever plan to get rid of it, sits next to my mantle ball to michael and my Steinbrenner ball to mike, just need a Ruth and Dimmagio and id be set:D

Runscott
11-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Great theme for a collection. If I could find a "to Scott" from any of a number of players, I would pay too much for it and never let it go, especially Cobb or Wagner.

w7imel
11-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Great theme for a collection. If I could find a "to Scott" from any of a number of players, I would pay too much for it and never let it go, especially Cobb or Wagner.

I would also love a cobb "to mike" I have a check he made out on my birthday that I love!!!

thetruthisoutthere
11-23-2017, 05:24 AM
I would also love a cobb "to mike" I have a check he made out on my birthday that I love!!!

Love the "To Michael" signed Mantle baseball.

It's really the only item missing from my "To Chris" collection.

I have Jeter, DiMaggio, Mays, etc. but missing the Mantle.

Great stuff.

Runscott
11-25-2017, 03:33 PM
I have several pictures of it hanging at office and home, love the ball dont ever plan to get rid of it, sits next to my mantle ball to michael and my Steinbrenner ball to mike, just need a Ruth and Dimmagio and id be set:D

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I could probably make you an oven-roasted shellac Ruth ball.

w7imel
11-25-2017, 04:28 PM
Love the "To Michael" signed Mantle baseball.

It's really the only item missing from my "To Chris" collection.

I have Jeter, DiMaggio, Mays, etc. but missing the Mantle.

Great stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantle-To-Chris-Best-wishes-signed-auto-PSA-DNA-ball-Yankees-autographed/302429770033?hash=item466a381131:g:qMcAAOSwgeRZou~ D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantle-Autographed-Baseball-JSA-Certified-Personalized-To-Chris/132389951217?hash=item1ed30e56f1:g:zioAAOSwtnpXn~z D

just buy one. If you wait till you can afford it its just like kids you will never have one...buy one buddy!!!!! you wont regret it I love mine!!!