PDA

View Full Version : Sports Card Auction Help Wanted!!!

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-16-2017, 07:17 AM
My Father is going in for knee replacement this weekend, so the odds of him being available as a runner on December 5th at our monthly Parsippany PAL auction are slim. The job consists of helping with set up and then watching over the items at preview, and during the auction bringing the winning bidder their items. The other runner is N54 regular Gary McNabb and he seems to have a good time. Pay is $25 for a pretty low stress job and hours are 5:30pm until end of auction which is usually a little before 8pm, so roughly 10 bucks an hour.

I am also looking for a cashier. My wife currently is the cashier and she will train her replacement but it is a brutal day for her to teach all day then drive an hour and a half in New Jersey rush hour traffic and then not get home until 11pm. Obviously this job is a little more involved. You check people in at the beginning of the night and check them out at the end and then we go over everything to make sure it balances. The commitment is from 6pm to 9pm, though we usually get out earlier than that, and that position pays $45.

If interested in either job PM me and we'll set up a time to talk!

Scott

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Another thought for those of you who already attend the auction. Do you have a friend or significant other who would be interested? I know it's only a few bucks, but it's only 3 hours at most. I have also given small bonuses when we've had strong auctions.

garymc
11-17-2017, 08:53 AM
The perks of this little job is that you have the opportunity to maybe pick something for your collection, it's a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of collectors who are really nice people. I really enjoy it !!!!

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Thanks Gary! Another small perk is you can sell the occasional lot at no commission.

skelly
11-19-2017, 07:14 PM
I caught a little of the November auction, and for someone who is new to the profession, I thought Scott was an excellent auctioneer! The event drew a pretty good crowd despite heavy rain that night. The couple of consignments that I had in the auction did absolutely fine. I was paid very quickly and you absolutely cannot beat the consignment rate! If anyone has things that they are looking to move you might want to consider giving Scott a chance. My guess is you might be pleasantly surprised.

Leon
11-20-2017, 09:06 AM
If I lived in PA I would be there Scott!! Sounds like fun. Sort of like me setting up at local shows. IF it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it. Good luck!!

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Dad's surgery went well, but still looking for a runner. Have a temporary solution for cashier, but if you or anyone you know are interested PLEASE get in touch.

Thanks Ben and Leon for the shout outs. We do have fun, though I take my job seriously. It all comes down to something that many people on this site say they want. They claim to yearn for the good old days of dealing face to face, meeting like-minded people and inspecting their purchases in person. I frankly can't think of a better way than at a live-only auction, especially when it's part of a card show!

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Still looking for permanent help for the cashier position, I have December and January covered, but if you are interested after that let me know!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my crew, consignors, and customers who are members here on N54!

We have a great auction this Saturday in Hershey. Complete sets from 1959 - today (two 1959's!) a nice selection of Goudey and Diamond Star HOF'ers, A Harrington's Ice Cream Covaleski(e) in SGC 30, A Koufax rookie and SO much more. Come see us and say hi! Those who already have come, have done well and had fun, so why aren't you next???