PDA

View Full Version : Auction house changing things after auction starts.

Jcfowler6
11-10-2017, 11:17 AM
I haven’t been buying from auction houses that long so I’m not sure if this is normal.

I have two lots I am bidding on currently. The first one had not mention of a reserve but now has one. I’m not thrilled about that since it is far over where the bidding is currently.

The other is a change in the description of the item that may or may not effect the value.

Is this type of thing normal?

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2drich2000
11-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Jon,

I wouldn't call either situation common, but it does happen. As far as having a reserve, I think it should be stated up front that the item may have a reserve, even if they don't tell you what it is. Each AH handles reserves differently and how they handle it should be outlined in their terms. Changing the item description I think really depends on why it was changed and what effect it may have. If information is found out after the auction started that is relevant to the item, the AH should make that known to all bidders. Likewise, if there is an error in the description, they should correct that as well. If it is significant enough, I would think the AH should allow you to either withdraw your bid or not pay if you win it at your current bid. I would talk to the AH directly to get their feedback.

DJ

jhs5120
11-10-2017, 11:50 AM
I once asked an Auction House to change the title of a lot after the auction started.

Edit: I had consigned the lot

Leon
11-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Terms and/or conditions shouldn't change after the start of an auction. I should add I have seen descriptions changed, and if significant enough, the high bidder should be notified to deal with it, on down the list, if that bidder backs out. As for reserves, as long as the rules communicate how/if they are done, then so be it. Not too many folks like completely hidden reserves, with never knowing what it is.

Snapolit1
11-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Some auction houses expressly say we will post a reserve on a specific date if there is one. So if the bidding as of that date is below the reserve it will then be posted.

Jcfowler6
11-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I enjoy the variety of items that can be won in many of the auctions. This was the first time I’ve had changes occur after things started.
For the auction I question I’ve read some of the 12 pages of terms and conditions and have yet to finds info about reserves being added later. I did see info about description changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk