PDA

View Full Version : Is this irresponsible?

earlywynnfan
11-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Just wondering if I'm overthinking this, but does anyone else find this irresponsible? Seller has listed Tony Cloninger's contract which clearly shows his SS #: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282715595402?ul_noapp=true

I emailed him, but he ignored me.

icollectDCsports
11-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Just wondering if I'm overthinking this, but does anyone else find this irresponsible? Seller has listed Tony Cloninger's contract which clearly shows his SS #: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282715595402?ul_noapp=true

I emailed him, but he ignored me.

Yep. Unfortunate that the seller would not place something over the SSN to hide it in the photo.

tazdmb
11-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Being a CPA, I know in Michigan it is State Crime to publicly list a SS#.

clydepepper
11-05-2017, 10:11 AM
I just sent the seller an alert the need to change his scan to cover the SSN. Let's see if he has the integrity to take the appropriate action...

Topnotchsy
11-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Meanwhile it might make sense not to have the item linked here...

clydepepper
11-05-2017, 12:05 PM
I found eight other SIGNED PLAYERS CONTRACT listing which also contained that player's SSN.

I have reported all eight using their on-screen prompt, but have also contacted Ebay by phone and provided both a description of the possible illegality and the item number for each instance.

On the positive side, I did find one listing, for Tom Acker, that was done correctly where the player's SSN was blurred out.

The Ebay rep said that he appreciated the initiative shown - and let me know what I already knew - that, with as many items as are listed, it's virtually impossible to notice all of them.

Thanks to my fellow Net54 members for sending out the first alerts on this...we should all feel like we have accomplished something positive today!

earlywynnfan
11-05-2017, 06:13 PM
I had sent him a message before I posted here, no response.

RichardSimon
11-06-2017, 08:00 PM
The Ebay rep said that he appreciated the initiative shown - and let me know what I already knew - that, with as many items as are listed, it's virtually impossible to notice all of them.

Yes it is virtually impossible to notice all of them. But ebay used to have John Gonzalez and used to have a team of unpaid volunteers to weed out forgeries.
Then they decided that doing the right thing was costing them too much money. So what did they do? They let John G. go and disbanded the team.
Now they suck thousands of dollars out of sales of crooked autographs, every day.

thetruthisoutthere
11-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Yes it is virtually impossible to notice all of them. But ebay used to have John Gonzalez and used to have a team of unpaid volunteers to weed out forgeries.
Then they decided that doing the right thing was costing them too much money. So what did they do? They let John G. go and disbanded the team.
Now they suck thousands of dollars out of sales of crooked autographs, every day.

And this is proof of that.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247202

drcy
11-06-2017, 09:05 PM
I once had some baseball contracts with SS#s on them and scribbled out the numbers with a pen before selling.

Runscott
11-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Very sad

Leon
11-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Ebay has a new EMR program. I signed up for it just a few weeks ago and it is a piece of crap. They don't do a damn thing. Ebay is a joke at curbing fraud. An absolute joke. The first 3 things I reported nothing happened. I asked them about it and they really have no excuse or answers. The problem is, ebay doesn't make money fighting fraud. That and they either have the most stupid people in the world running the program or no one is running it. It is one or the other. Though it might be like having 1 employee at a very busy McDonalds. It doesn't work.

1952boyntoncollector
11-13-2017, 08:52 AM
I once had some baseball contracts with SS#s on them and scribbled out the numbers with a pen before selling.

i hope it didnt damage the contracts too much...