PDA

View Full Version : Another proposal for AH Catalogs

Snapolit1
11-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Looking through Heritage and what a great catalog. Or catalogs. 3 of them. I wonder if it's impossible for the AH to print specific catalogs based on the interests of their customers. Would save a ton of paper (and would save them money, I'd think.) When you sign up tell us what your interests are. Mine is baseball. And only baseball. Full stop. The chance of me buy a football, basketball, or boxing card is zero. Maybe it's not really feasible to generate different catalogs and maybe the price savings at the end of the day from a printing viewpoint wouldn't be there. But damm you'd savr a lot of paper. Easily 1/2 if not more of the most recent Heritage catalog are sports I don't collect and won't ever collect.

ullmandds
11-04-2017, 08:59 AM
You really think customized catalogs for every customer would be a cost saving endeavor?

Snapolit1
11-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Uh, not really.

Maybe it's not really feasible to generate different catalogs and maybe the price savings at the end of the day from a printing viewpoint wouldn't be there.

But would be a nice idea.

Even if they had just one alternative "Baseball only" alternative catalog would be nice. I imagine well over 50% of us only bid on baseball.

Leon
11-04-2017, 09:08 AM
I think they should send 20 dollar bills with the catalogs. I always like to be paid for my time. :)

ullmandds
11-04-2017, 09:12 AM
I think they should send 20 dollar bills with the catalogs. I always like to be paid for my time. :)

or maybe a medical insurance card so I can get a consult after injuries manhandling such big and heavy catalogs?

111gecko
11-04-2017, 09:40 AM
They are generated by “Ivy Press”. Would be safe to assume they are produced by another family business and can be used as a nice deduction for whatever expense they decide for “marketing”. Nothing wrong with this at all and probably makes sense. That being said....still a lot of paper.

Snapolit1
11-04-2017, 10:11 AM
I find it to be a colossal waste of paper, but I understand as a consignor of a high price article you might require it to feel like you are getting the royal treatment. And I do really enjoy looking at them. Though by the time they show up my bids are usually in.

mechanicalman
11-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Weren’t you just denigrating PWCC for NOT having a catalog?

Snapolit1
11-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Weren’t you just denigrating PWCC for NOT having a catalog?

No; actually denigrated them for not do any real marketing of high end products. They do the same thing for a $100,000 card as they do for a 99 cent one.

ullmandds
11-04-2017, 10:48 AM
No; actually denigrated them for not do any real marketing of high end products. They do the same thing for a $100,000 card as they do for a 99 cent one.

not true...they usually label the high buck cards as pwcc certified!

Snapolit1
11-04-2017, 10:52 AM
I stand corrected. Lol.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
11-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Danggggg you start every complain thread lol

Mdmtx
11-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Danggggg you start every complain thread lol

I believe his glass is nearly empty. Not even half empty.

glchen
11-04-2017, 01:27 PM
I like what Huggins and Scott does where you get a credit towards winnings for that month if you choose not to get a print catalog.

Peter_Spaeth
11-04-2017, 07:29 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it, someone once said.

Topnotchsy
11-04-2017, 08:56 PM
I was thinking this today when I got my Heritage box of catalogs. I basically never bid on cards, so definitely didn't feel the need to get that one.

rainier2004
11-05-2017, 11:29 AM
These catalogs are a HUGE waste of resources. There are some AHs that make it difficult to be taken off the mailing as my wife finally went all terminator on them...we are a pair of tree huggers.

I have yet to see anything in a catalog that isn't on the website and website is usually much better anyways. I wonder how much HA or another big company spends to produce and/or ship these.

Snapolit1
11-05-2017, 11:40 AM
These catalogs are a HUGE waste of resources. There are some AHs that make it difficult to be taken off the mailing as my wife finally went all terminator on them...we are a pair of tree huggers.

I have yet to see anything in a catalog that isn't on the website and website is usually much better anyways. I wonder how much HA or another big company spends to produce and/or ship these.

I have mixed feelings . . . like the catalogs and enjoy getting them but realize they are an obscene waste. I thumbed through Heritage in 20 minutes. Others recently have ended up in the recycling bin not even looked at. That's why I asked (pretty much knowing the answer is no) whether practically an AH could cut the baseball. hocking and boxing out of what I receive. Realize it's impractical but would be something I personally could live with.