PDA

View Full Version : How Common is this?

kmac32
11-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Just picked it up on Ebay. Have seen one before in a lot that I had lost on ebay. Now he is mine. Did a population search and this is the only SGC graded example of Duffy Lewis as a New York American.

Leon
11-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Interesting. I don't believe I have heard of that card being a great rarity as some others we know about.

h2oya311
11-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Just picked it up on Ebay. Have seen one before in a lot that I had lost on ebay. Now he is mine. Did a population search and this is the only SGC graded example of Duffy Lewis as a New York American.

Is it possible that is a 1921 Koester Bread and not a W575-1?

kmac32
11-06-2017, 08:50 AM
He is usually shown as a Boston National is the reason for the question. It is the only SGC graded example. I have only seen this card once before in a lot and I am not convinced that this is not the one I saw before and now it is graded.

h2oya311
11-06-2017, 10:42 AM
He is usually shown as a Boston National is the reason for the question. It is the only SGC graded example. I have only seen this card once before in a lot and I am not convinced that this is not the one I saw before and now it is graded.

I thought Duffy Lewis played for the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, and the Washington Senators. He didn't have an affiliation with the Boston Braves until 1931. Is there really a card of him with "Boston National" on it?

Again, wouldn't it be somewhat logical that showing him with "New York Americans" might be for the Koester's Bread series as he played on that team from 1919-1920 and there are other cards that are exclusive to that set with this team affiliation? Very cool find, regardless!

Chesbro41
11-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Ken I own a Duffy Lewis New York Americans card that was issued in the Holsum Bread set. There are only 3 in the pop reports (1 psa/2 sgc), so it's somewhat hard to come by. I was looking at yours for a minute.

I don't believe it's a Koester as we've seen full sets of those appear over time in scrap books so I assume one would have surfaced... I also don't believe it's W575, which is kind of like the default set for graders when an uncataloged card is discovered from the era.

I believe there are some 1920-ish Bread cards like the Holsum that are out there mislabeled, and this one is an early test run/blank back. I could be wrong, but it would make sense.

Leon
11-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Ken I own a Duffy Lewis New York Americans card that was issued in the Holsum Bread set. There are only 3 in the pop reports (1 psa/2 sgc), so it's somewhat hard to come by. I was looking at yours for a minute.

I don't believe it's a Koester as we've seen full sets of those appear over time in scrap books so I assume one would have surfaced... I also don't believe it's W575, which is kind of like the default set for graders when an uncataloged card is discovered from the era.

I believe there are some 1920-ish Bread cards like the Holsum that are out there mislabeled, and this one is an early test run/blank back. I could be wrong, but it would make sense.

I don't know the answer to this particular card id question but am positive this is the case of many cards in slabs> mislabeling.

kmac32
11-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Do not believe it is a Koester either. Not quite sure where to classify this one either. My Great great uncle played on the 1921 and 1922 yankees team and I do not recall Lewic being a teammate. Still a cool card as it is a Yankee and does go along with my E121 Yankees and Giants subset.

rhettyeakley
11-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Not a Koester’s card.

It is from an early print run of W575-1 that includes many of the same cards as the Holsum, Herpolsheimer, Shotwell, Standard Biscuit, and (new addition) Clark’s Bread cards. These issues were made in 1920 (Holsum Type 1) and really early 1921 (the other sets listed above) that includes many cards/variations dropped before the bulk of the E121 like sets were made.

The original find of cards Leon had in the original envelope came from this same time. So it may even be from the same promotion as those.

Tougher card to be sure, I’m pretty sure I have one in my collection that I can post later if you would like, I’ll just need to check my spreadsheet when I get home from work.

kmac32
11-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Not a Koester’s card.

It is from an early print run of W575-1 that includes many of the same cards as the Holsum, Herpolsheimer, Shotwell, Standard Biscuit, and (new addition) Clark’s Bread cards. These issues were made in 1920 (Holsum Type 1) and really early 1921 (the other sets listed above) that includes many cards/variations dropped before the bulk of the E121 like sets were made.

The original find of cards Leon had in the original envelope came from this same time. So it may even be from the same promotion as those.

Tougher card to be sure, I’m pretty sure I have one in my collection that I can post later if you would like, I’ll just need to check my spreadsheet when I get home from work.

Really cool info rhett. Have seen it once before and got him this time. Would love to see yours.

Ken