PDA

View Full Version : Question about Coaches Corner

39special
10-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Every now and then if it need a good laugh,I go on there site and see what garbage
they have. My question is,were they ever a legitimate company?

GrayGhost
10-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Good question Steve, but I would guess not. Once a a piece of garbage always a piece of garbage in my opinion.

johnmh71
10-21-2017, 08:54 AM
I think the question is why do so many people think they are legitimate. Lack of knowledge about autographs? Wanting to believe they are legit? I think that is where the problem lies.

GrayGhost
10-21-2017, 08:57 AM
I think the question is why do so many people think they are legitimate. Lack of knowledge about autographs? Wanting to believe they are legit? I think that is where the problem lies.

That is part of the problem. A lot of people know exactly what ton of crap they're selling and are trying to flip it to sell to morons

39special
10-21-2017, 09:01 AM
As I was looking through there garbage last night,I could not believe people would bid
on any of the crap they had listed.Signed balls of Laurel and Hardy,Jim Morrison,and my favorite,a 4Olb. box of autographs.How are they still in business ?

Klrdds
10-21-2017, 10:00 AM
At one time in the 1990s they were more legitimate than they are now. But when the major AHs began to become established as a mainstream force in the market place in the mid 1990s CC began to lose ground quickly , and then in the late 1990s they found their niche ( or gutter , as one may call it )and changed their "focus" and they have never changed their business model and it has remained the same since then and only has gotten more egregious and blatant with time.

keithsky
10-21-2017, 12:02 PM
I think the bigger question is who is forging the autographs for them whether it be one person or a group of people would be to me the starting point to shut these clowns down. Stop the flow of bad stuff getting to them would make a big difference in their auction or even their business until they find the next guy to forge for them. Once you can find the guys faking the stuff then maybe it will snowball down to shutting CC down also just my opinion

thetruthisoutthere
10-21-2017, 12:22 PM
I think the bigger question is who is forging the autographs for them whether it be one person or a group of people would be to me the starting point to shut these clowns down. Stop the flow of bad stuff getting to them would make a big difference in their auction or even their business until they find the next guy to forge for them. Once you can find the guys faking the stuff then maybe it will snowball down to shutting CC down also just my opinion

That's why they will never sue anyone.

They don't want "Discovery."

Minerscoin
10-21-2017, 12:53 PM
The key thought I have about these guys is how have they been allowed to skirt the laws of the land. Even BM got caught. He was not that obvious for years, but these guys are obvious and have been for years. How do they skate. I don’t get it.

keithsky
10-21-2017, 02:15 PM
It amazes me also how they are able to skate and not get caught after all these years especially when I read articles on Sportscollectors Daily website for a few years now we're guys and businesses have gotten caught for various counterfeiting crimes or scams related to memorabilia and have been based in Pennsylvania right were CC is in the same state so you would think as they're checking out these other scammers in PA too keep checking on these guys. If you have law busting other people in PA how is it so hard to check on CC when they're in the same state just can't figure it out.

Steve D
10-21-2017, 08:47 PM
One of the biggest mistakes of my life was consigning several autographs to CC back in the mid-1990s when they had 2-3-dozen-page auctions in SCD.

I had several signed full-sized Nike posters (Ron Cey, Gaylord Perry, Lance Parrish, Mike Schmidt/Steve Carlton, Dale Murphy, as well as a Johnny Unitas signed football, 1941 Life Magazine signed by Ted Williams, and a Chesterfield cigarettes ad signed by Williams and Stan Musial. The Cey, Perry, Parrish, Murphy and Williams autographs were each obtained by me in-person. I sent the Chesterfield ad to Stan c/o his restaurant, via USPS (I had already got Williams to sign it), and he signed and returned it within a week! None of the items went for anything that approaches their value at the time. The Nike posters went for single-digit bids.

I got the two Ted Williams autographs back in the early 1980s when he was in San Diego for the SD Hall of Champions' annual dinner. I had to chase Ted through the Hotel/Convention Center parking lot to get them, and perhaps begrudgingly, he signed both of them. While he seemed to not be too happy, he did sign them very nicely, and he was cordial. I remember the main reason I sold them was because there was no way to protect and display them. They were both roughly 11-15 inches (Life Magazine size), and oversized holders did not exist at the time :(

Steve

mcgwirecom
10-22-2017, 10:04 AM
I lived in Souderton, Pa back in 1988-1993. Coaches Corner was just a very small basebal card shop in the old Souderton Train Station kiosk. So you can imagine the size. This was before the auctions. Once they started growing the auctions they moved into an old gutted building about a block away. I have been there to pick up items in the past. When I first started collecting I got taken like many people did. After realizing they were selling mostly crap I stopped buying from them. But as the above poster said, people do consign items with them. So I would search for items I knew were real and bid on those. Mostly just McGwire signed stuff as I know his signature well. Was able to buy some items very cheap because no one trusts them. The place is mostly run by very young people, at least thats all I saw the last time I picked something up maybe 5 years ago.

D. Bergin
10-22-2017, 10:25 AM
I have my suspicions they might be government informants. Only thing that makes any sense why they haven't been busted yet.

My opinion above may be worth in the hundreds, or perhaps even the thousands of dollars.............

(see what I did there :D)

bnorth
10-22-2017, 02:35 PM
I have my suspicions they might be government informants. Only thing that makes any sense why they haven't been busted yet.

My opinion above may be worth in the hundreds, or perhaps even the thousands of dollars.............

(see what I did there :D)

I have thought the same thing about them and a few others that seem to be bullet proof.

alexanderautographs
10-22-2017, 05:26 PM
I see that CC is still replete with mountains of IMO pathetic fakes that should have warranted federal investigation over a decade ago. I called out Christopher Morales on this very forum nine years ago, challenging him to support his authentications before his peers, and he slunk away.

Now I see they don't even bother authenticating anything in the way they used to...which was Morales, Frangipani, et al. What a sad state of affairs when an outfit like that is still dumping such crap on the market over so many years.

Oh, and Mr. Morales? My offer is still on the table. It will be my pleasure to prove you the incompetent ass that I believe you to be.

Bill Panagopulos
Alexander Historical Auctions
Reformed Net 54 Poster

thetruthisoutthere
10-22-2017, 06:29 PM
I called out Christopher Morales on this very forum nine years ago, challenging him to support his authentications before his peers, and he slunk away.

Bill Panagopulos
Reformed Net 54 Poster

I remember that, Bill.

thetruthisoutthere
10-22-2017, 06:32 PM
I believe this was the thread if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89638&page=34

RichardSimon
10-23-2017, 07:47 AM
I see that CC is still replete with mountains of IMO pathetic fakes that should have warranted federal investigation over a decade ago. I called out Christopher Morales on this very forum nine years ago, challenging him to support his authentications before his peers, and he slunk away.

Now I see they don't even bother authenticating anything in the way they used to...which was Morales, Frangipani, et al. What a sad state of affairs when an outfit like that is still dumping such crap on the market over so many years.

Oh, and Mr. Morales? My offer is still on the table. It will be my pleasure to prove you the incompetent ass that I believe you to be.

Bill Panagopulos
Reformed Net 54 Poster

That thread was where you and I first met :).
Now we have fun on FB :).

RichardSimon
10-23-2017, 07:52 AM
As I have stated previously a member here, who rarely posts, who had much saved data on CC worked on an investigation with a postal inspector for quite some time.
The contact with the postal inspector was initiated through a US atty in PA by a member here who posts all the time :).
Seemingly there was enthusiasm in this investigation and then for no particular reason the investigation was halted.

Leon
10-23-2017, 08:28 AM
As I have stated previously a member here, who rarely posts, who had much saved data on CC worked on an investigation with a postal inspector for quite some time.
The contact with the postal inspector was initiated through a US atty in PA by a member here who posts all the time :).
Seemingly there was enthusiasm in this investigation and then for no particular reason the investigation was halted.

That old thread was 901 posts, quite entertaining.
I think there are multiple reasons authorities haven't shut down CC yet. First off, I don't think they are some kind of front for a legal organization. I think they are committing the alleged fraud they do all on their own.

Autograph authentication is unfortunately subjective unless there is direct, physical (visual) evidence of it being done. Without that CC is giving their opinion and it's hard to bust someone for that. And I guess they haven't peaked anyone's attention enough (yet) to do a full blown sting operation. I have personally spent, altogether, at least a few hours speaking with authorities about CC. There is a geographic issue too. Some authorities in parts of the country might be more apt to go after these folks than authorities in other parts. Many authorities just might not be that interested when there are so many other high profile catastrophes to investigate. Sad but true I think.. It might be easier to get some local officials, wherever they are located, interested in the case. Then at least that obstacle would be cleared.

ibuysportsephemera
10-23-2017, 09:24 AM
I haven't been to their site in years until I read this thread. What is with all the Barry Halper COA's?

Jeff

RichardSimon
10-23-2017, 09:37 AM
I haven't been to their site in years until I read this thread. What is with all the Barry Halper COA's?

Jeff

They are not credible.