PDA

View Full Version : Help With Jackie Robinson Postcard

HolyGrail
10-20-2017, 12:45 PM
I recently paid pretty good money for this real photo postcard of Robinson at a NY show where an elderly dealer was selling old Brooklyn Dodgers memorabilia. I recognized the photo, of course, from his 1950 Bowman card. The photo was taken by Barney Stein, the Dodger's official photographer.

The postcard has a glossy surface, Robinson's facsimile signature, and a very sharp image from the original negative comparable to the same PSA Type 1 photo that Heritage sold in May, 2017. The difference is that this photo has been cropped in the exact same way as the '50 Bowman.

The blank back shows appropriate wear and vintage off-white patina.

I can find the fairly common postcard with Jackie in the dugout (also used in Old Gold), but no evidence of this card.

Thanks for any help.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
10-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Judging by the photo stock this paper seems to be 50's or 60's. I have seen a few floating around on eBay recently of other players like paige campy etc. my guess as a jackie guy would be a stadium souvenir or some type of giveaway. It's not a photo pack card for sure. Also it's not in the baseball card encyclopedia. Odd ball Jackie for sure with a value in my opinion of anywhere from $50-100 based on condition. Maybe less.

HolyGrail
10-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Thanks, Stephen. Always great to hear from a fellow Jackie and Brooklyn collector, especially one so young! I appreciate you looking looking it up in the baseball card encyclopedia for me. Its absence there leads me to believe that the card was a prototype of some sort. The card stock and photo gloss are the same as the 1948 Old Gold and 1950-56 J.J.K. Copy-Art I have handled. And the image is definitely first generation from the negative like those cards. Plus the Dodgers, Barney Stein (Dodgers' photographer), and the Jackie were pretty tight with licensing. I can't find another.

I live in Brooklyn. Where in NY do live? Would love to see your collection some time. I write a sports card and memorabilia column for Forbes. I have one coming up on collecting Brooklyn Dodgers high-end and low-end.

irv
10-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Thanks, Stephen. Always great to hear from a fellow Jackie and Brooklyn collector, especially one so young! I appreciate you looking looking it up in the baseball card encyclopedia for me. Its absence there leads me to believe that the card was a prototype of some sort. The card stock and photo gloss are the same as the 1948 Old Gold and 1950-56 J.J.K. Copy-Art I have handled. And the image is definitely first generation from the negative like those cards. Plus the Dodgers, Barney Stein (Dodgers' photographer), and the Jackie were pretty tight with licensing. I can't find another.

I live in Brooklyn. Where in NY do live? Would love to see your collection some time. I write a sports card and memorabilia column for Forbes. I have one coming up on collecting Brooklyn Dodgers high-end and low-end.
I have read quite a few of those articles, (they get posted here occasionally), and I have always enjoyed them.
Thank you!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2016/12/29/in-2016-top-10-most-valuable-sports-cards-and-memorabilia-command-record-12-million/#31dafc0c132b

HolyGrail
10-20-2017, 05:15 PM
That's very kind of you. I appreciate it. You made my day!

David

irv
10-20-2017, 05:30 PM
That's very kind of you. I appreciate it. You made my day!

David

My pleasure. :)

Exhibitman
10-20-2017, 05:36 PM
It isn't a postcard--no postcard markings on the back.

It is a mail response card for fans of JR who wrote into the team for a photo.

Got mine years ago:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/PC%20Unc%20Robinson%20Jackie%20RPPC.jpg

irv
10-20-2017, 05:45 PM
It isn't a postcard--no postcard markings on the back.

It is a mail response card for fans of JR who wrote into the team for a photo.

Got mine years ago:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/PC%20Unc%20Robinson%20Jackie%20RPPC.jpg

I know you are not saying otherwise, but it is still a great card/pic of Jackie Robinson.

HolyGrail
10-21-2017, 05:39 AM
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. It was mailed by the team like the one with Old Gold photo. I'm not hung up on it being postcard. I guess postcard sized is a better way of describing it. I appreciate your help and posting yours.

HolyGrail
10-21-2017, 05:40 AM
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. It was mailed by the team like the one with Old Gold photo. I'm not hung up on it being postcard. I guess postcard sized is a better way of describing it. I appreciate your help and you posting yours.