PDA

View Full Version : Are T206's Soakable?

bcookie
10-19-2017, 08:58 PM
I have 1 with scrapbook paper on the bask.. do these cards soak good?

kvnkvnkvn
10-19-2017, 10:00 PM

After someone answers your question, hopefully they can answer mine...

Does a person have to disclose that a card has been soaked when trading or selling?

drmondobueno
10-19-2017, 11:15 PM

Yup. Use distilled water, warm. Should not take to long. Be prepared to press the card on a flat surface while drying out your new prize. Been a while since I’ve done this. Am sure a few veterans can expand.

vwtdi
10-20-2017, 04:00 AM
Very soakable. Room temperature distilled water, push it right to the bottom of a filled bowl. You should see the paper coming loose in a few minutes if it’s water soluble glue. Tweezers should lift it right off with no adhesion felt while pulling (use a q-tip to wipe off any remnants), if resistance is felt, put it back in the water for more soak time. After that, I used to sandwich it in a paper towel and get as much moisture off it as possible by pressing it all in a book by hand. Then it’s a matter of keeping it flat while drying by putting weight on it so it doesn’t curl. I'd also take it out of the book in an hour or so and either change that paper towel it’s sandwiched in or move it to a dry area on the towel then put it back in the book. A good thick book with plenty of weight on it works well.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger
10-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Keith pretty much sums it up well. I take the drying process to a further extreme. To guarantee complete flatness I would do this.

25 lb dumbell
book
Card Saver 4
paper towel

Wet Card

Paper Towel
Card Saver 4
book
GROUND

I found that when applying that much pressure it was good to have the complete flatness of the CS4 being the contact surface. I'm also neurotic though, so...

T206Collector
10-20-2017, 07:54 AM
Does a person have to disclose that a card has been soaked when trading or selling?

Soaking a T206 card in water does not affect the integrity of the cardboard. Many of the sharp ones you see in high grade holders were soaked out of scrap books years ago, which is how they kept their sharpness. You can disclose it if you like, but I just assume that all T206s have gotten a bit wet over the last 100+ years.

Here's my "Anatomy of a T206 Soaking" thread I started a couple of years ago with some pictures and discussion that follows:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=202980

kvnkvnkvn
10-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Soaking a T206 card in water does not affect the integrity of the cardboard. Many of the sharp ones you see in high grade holders were soaked out of scrap books years ago, which is how they kept their sharpness. You can disclose it if you like, but I just assume that all T206s have gotten a bit wet over the last 100+ years.

Here's my "Anatomy of a T206 Soaking" thread I started a couple of years ago with some pictures and discussion that follows:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=202980

Thanks for sharing that thread...I read that yesterday...That is when I thought this doesn't seem ethical and better ask how people perceive this...

Thanks for your response buddy...