PDA

View Full Version : Define a "Find" as it pertains to prewar

RealToppsaholic
10-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Define "a FIND" please

edjs
10-18-2017, 03:58 PM
I would say it is a discovery of items or item that has a some sort of value that enhances either the monetary value or knowledge base, of the field or genre that is collected. Just a swag at it.

h2oya311
10-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Hmmm...perhaps, with respect to the puffery of an auction house, a card or cards / memorabilia that has not been part of the existing "collecting" community over the past 20+ years. Even if it was collected by someone but hasn't seen the light of day or has been stashed for a long period but is now available at auction - this would constitute a "find" in my book.

ullmandds
10-18-2017, 04:28 PM
To me a "" find... is the uncovering of a collection or item or items of value... that are still in the possession of the original collector or his descendants. Basically aside from the family and maybe some friends and acquaintances, the collection was relatively not known to exist.

SMPEP
10-18-2017, 04:29 PM
I'll take a shot.

How about:

A collection that contains significant material that was not known in collecting circles (with regard to quantity or quality) and either

1) is a collection that has been handed down through the same family for generations; or
2) is a collection that has (mostly?) never been publicly sold.

To contrast this - what is NOT a "find" is assembling a collection through Ebay and auction houses. Say one had unlimited resources, time and persuasive ability, they could theoretically buy the best copy of every T206 card and back type that exists and assemble into a collection the likes of which no one save the original printer (perhaps) has ever seen. But they almost certainly could not accomplish this task without the public knowing. Hence while it would be a staggering accomplishment, it would not be a "find".

Cheers,
Patrick

oldjudge
10-18-2017, 05:15 PM
One rare old judge card. Hasn’t been a find in years.

RedsFan1941
10-18-2017, 05:22 PM
To me a "" find... is the uncovering of a collection or item or items of value... that are still in the possession of the original collector or his descendants. Basically aside from the family and maybe some friends and acquaintances, the collection was relatively not known to exist.

Pretty well said.

vintagetoppsguy
10-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Of the responses I've read so far, I think this one best describes a find.

pokerplyr80
10-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Pete about summed it up. I'd say just discovering something that's new to the hobby.

icollectDCsports
10-18-2017, 07:38 PM
A "find" is when I come home from a card show, only to find out that I already had a card that I purchased at the show.

drcy
10-19-2017, 12:56 AM
Having never found a find, I define a find as what other people find.

frankbmd
10-19-2017, 06:14 AM
Is a find a find before its found?
I think not, the logic's sound.
In the past, finds were found.
No one knows what's underground.

Future finds are speculation
If unfound, more consternation
If uncovered, jubilation
Risk, reward or humiliation

A searcher's quest may stay behind
without a clue of any kind.
You'll never know, not in your mind,
'cause it must be found to be a find.

DaveW
10-19-2017, 11:34 PM
A haiku:

I'm glad we found Frank
He delights us with his rhyme
Yes, Frank is a find

glynparson
10-20-2017, 04:19 AM
I believe it is fresh to the hobby material. A significant find, would be either a large quantity of material, a new exceptionally rare piece, or some exceptional condition pieces. Some finds hit on all three. Finds like the Black Swamp, Skydash, or Lucky Seven would be significant but there were many smaller finds made the last few years that got little to no press.

MikeGarcia
10-21-2017, 06:45 PM
I believe it is fresh to the hobby material. A significant find, would be either a large quantity of material, a new exceptionally rare piece, or some exceptional condition pieces. Some finds hit on all three. Finds like the Black Swamp, Skydash, or Lucky Seven would be significant but there were many smaller finds made the last few years that got little to no press.

...Skydash thread was one of the best everrrr.....the stuff that dreams are made of ...

ullmandds
10-21-2017, 07:04 PM
...Skydash thread was one of the best everrrr.....the stuff that dreams are made of ...

skydash find was epic...not my wheelhouse but it changed the landscape for those discs.

louisiana find to me was pretty incredible...and obviously BSF was unheard of...E98 will never be the same.

Leon
10-22-2017, 08:40 AM

+1.... I like the small finds as much as the large ones. (unless it is my large find, then I like it better :))

As shown before, here is a small find (to me) ....I had never seen W575-1 packaging before these. All 20 cards that came in the pack were in the lot that was won.

OsFan
10-22-2017, 01:23 PM
A "find" is when I come home from a card show, only to find out that I already had a card that I purchased at the show.

Lol