PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mantle baseball, any reason to think this is a fake?

Sladge34
10-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Good or not

bnorth
10-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Flipped the picture.:)

MrSeven
10-18-2017, 01:01 AM
I don't like a few things with that autograph.

I'm also not an expert. :D

Sladge34
10-18-2017, 06:18 AM
Such as?

Sophiedog
10-18-2017, 11:21 AM
That's a perfect authentic Mantle ball

khkco4bls
10-18-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm not an expert but I also think it's good

David Atkatz
10-18-2017, 01:08 PM
You know, I'm gonna piss a bunch of people off with this post, but what the hell...
I don't understand all the "I'm not an expert, but I think..." posts.
Why?
Basically, they say "I don't know what the fu*k I'm talking about, so what I'm adding to the conversation really has little or no value."
If you don't feel your opinion is more educated than most, there's no point in posting.
Trying to determine authenticity is not a popularity contest amongst the "hoi polloi." It does not come down to the number of votes.

People post here, particularly, because they're looking for expert advice or opinion.
Otherwise, they might as well just set up a poll.

bigtrain
10-18-2017, 04:16 PM
David, you may piss people off but you are right. I have an opinion but will keep it to myself if I don't know for sure.

jimjim
10-18-2017, 06:30 PM
Authentic

MrSeven
10-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Such as?

The No. 7 inscription seems a little forced compared to UDA examples.

General consensus indicates here I'm wrong, but an opinion is an opinion.

khkco4bls
10-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Okay Dave I'll go out on the limb it's real

GrayGhost
10-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Authentic IMO

shelly
10-19-2017, 08:51 AM
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Sladge34
10-19-2017, 05:05 PM
The ball was authenticated by UDA, and has a jsa letter. Was just curious to see what everyone had to say, thanks

Mr. Zipper
10-19-2017, 06:08 PM
The ball was authenticated by UDA, and has a jsa letter. Was just curious to see what everyone had to say, thanks

Seriously?

Have more respect for peoples' time and effort.

thetruthisoutthere
10-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Seriously?

+1

That's exactly why I didn't opine.

I already knew what the OP was doing.

RichardSimon
10-19-2017, 06:15 PM

Really?????????
Ok, maybe if it has a TPA letter and you are not fond of TPA's we can see you asking a question. But a UDA ball with a JSA?? W.O.T.

RedsFan1941
10-19-2017, 07:26 PM
You know, I'm gonna piss a bunch of people off with this post, but what the hell...
I don't understand all the "I'm not an expert, but I think..." posts.
Why?
Basically, they say "I don't know what the fu*k I'm talking about, so what I'm adding to the conversation really has little or no value."
If you don't feel your opinion is more educated than most, there's no point in posting.
Trying to determine authenticity is not a popularity contest amongst the "hoi polloi." It does not come down to the number of votes.

People post here, particularly, because they're looking for expert advice or opinion.
Otherwise, they might as well just set up a poll.

thanks for posting what i bet many people think

Sladge34
10-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Not too sure why everyone got upset. As everyone knows, unless you see a ball signed in person, you'll never really know if it's real or not. You can get respectable opinions, but there's always a chance people's opinion's are wrong. I think the more, the merrier. I posted that ball over a year ago, and was very thankful for all the input. I did my research and realized most of you guys on here are as good, if not better than the big 3. I reposted the ball because of one of the earlier threads about a Mantle ball that did not get authenticated by jsa, even tho people on here gave it the thumbs up. The picture may have been blurry, but enough people said it was good, espicially some of the really good guys on here. So to see the ball get rejected by jsa, then people say it's bad, kind of made me think again maybe my ball isn't real. If you think I wasted your time, sorry. But I thought this site was about talking baseball autographs, pretty sure I was within the topic...

mattjc1983
10-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Not too sure why everyone got upset. As everyone knows, unless you see a ball signed in person, you'll never really know if it's real or not. You can get respectable opinions, but there's always a chance people's opinion's are wrong. I think the more, the merrier. I posted that ball over a year ago, and was very thankful for all the input. I did my research and realized most of you guys on here are as good, if not better than the big 3. I reposted the ball because of one of the earlier threads about a Mantle ball that did not get authenticated by jsa, even tho people on here gave it the thumbs up. The picture may have been blurry, but enough people said it was good, espicially some of the really good guys on here. So to see the ball get rejected by jsa, then people say it's bad, kind of made me think again maybe my ball isn't real. If you think I wasted your time, sorry. But I thought this site was about talking baseball autographs, pretty sure I was within the topic...

But as Richard mentioned UDA is much different than JSA...I’m not annoyed because I didn’t contribute, but I can see why others are.

Also, I agree with what was said earlier about withholding if you’re not an expert. I’m not. On anything. So I just browse :)

Although I agreed that the inscription does look kind of different than others I’ve seen. Does your UDA cert mention the # 7 or just the sig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpm0014
10-20-2017, 06:56 AM
....but enough people said it was good, espicially some of the really good guys on here.

It's just bad etiquette in this forum to hide or withdraw information (such as already having a cert/already been rejected/etc. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's how it is here. ;)

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 07:02 AM
If someone can answer this it'd be great. So everyone can agree that mistakes happen. The big 3 get things wrong, users on here get stuff wrong. At the end of the day it's an opinion. Does it really matter that I had authentication before I posted? It might have if people said it was bad, it's almost like the people on here work for them and don't want to be contradicted. Chris Williams, you claimed 2 years ago that a Mantle ball was real. In the "jsa came to town" thread, all of a sudden it switched because jsa failed it. Chris wasn't the only one, but as highly respected opionions on here, most failed on that thread. This section is an autograph forum, looking for opionions. Just because you get a piece of paper with your autograph does not mean that it's real, anyone with a printer and any bit of artistic ability to make a coa. Upper deck authenticated it almost 2 years ago, close to 30 years after the ball was on sale by upper deck. And yes the no.7 is authenticated by uda and jsa. But at the end of the day it's just a piece of paper. According to the posts above, I should just believe any sort of coa because it says Uda and jsa. You guys taught me better than that, hence why I posted the ball, looking for reassurance

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 07:04 AM
....but enough people said it was good, espicially some of the really good guys on here.

It's just bad etiquette in this forum to hide or withdraw information (such as already having a cert/already been rejected/etc. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's how it is here. ;)

Read the "jsa came to town" thread. Tell me how many of those "really good guys" got it wrong?

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 07:10 AM
And yes, if I would have said right away that jsa and Uda authenticated it, it would cloud people's judgement. I left it unsaid to get people's honest opionion.

Mr. Zipper
10-20-2017, 07:11 AM
Read the "jsa came to town" thread. Tell me how many of those "really good guys" got it wrong?

The first photo of the ball that some people gave the thumbs up was a fuzzy photo from a distance. (In all candor, they should not have offered an opinion on such a poor quality photo.) The second photo was a sharp closeup that clearly showed issues not visible on the first photo.

NO ONE just "changed their mind" just because of the JSA opinion.

Stop spreading fake news.

Mr. Zipper
10-20-2017, 07:15 AM
And yes, if I would have said right away that jsa and Uda authenticated it, it would cloud people's judgement. I left it unsaid to get people's honest opionion.

UDA did not "authenticate" it. UDA are all first hand witnessed signatures from supervised signings.

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 07:42 AM
I contacted Uda, sent them photos and they put it in there data base. Your right, they should not have commented on a fuzzy photo... but at the end of the day, they were wrong!!

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Fake news??? Please... I can read, I saw plenty of thumbs up, then thumbs down. Same ball, two different outcomes.... fake would mean that I made that up, pretty sure you can read too

Leon
10-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Fake news??? Please... I can read, I saw plenty of thumbs up, then thumbs down. Same ball, two different outcomes.... fake would mean that I made that up, pretty sure you can read too

I can see all aspects of this discussion. However, if as some of the authenticators do, the UDA process is an in-person signing only LOA, then this exercise does seem a bit futile. It is kind of like saying "I got this autograph in person (myself), do you think it's real?"

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Uda saw the ball thru an email, and still accepted it. It's not like I bought it from uda

Mr. Zipper
10-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Fake news means distorting and spinning, which you are. People reached different opinions because a much better photo became available, not because they are slavishly following the JSA opinion as you imply.

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 10:18 AM
And the jsa letter came with the ball...

tazdmb
10-20-2017, 10:26 AM
I thought UDA always stickered the ball?

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Fake news means distorting and spinning, which you are. People reached different opinions because a much better photo became available, not because they are slavishly following the JSA opinion as you imply.

I never implied, your just upset I asked for opionions on a ball that had certs, never of which I got in person, so to ask for more help is reasonable. Your fake news suggestion is ridicuous!

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Stickers can be printed... easy as that....

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 10:57 AM
I also want to make this very clear, I'm not here to upset anyone or piss people off. I come to this site because I Do respect a lot of opinions on here. I think some of you guys are better than having a coa. I especially want to apologize for singling out Chris before, a lot of other guys commented giving the thumbs up, I used Chris because in my honest opinion, I hold him to a higher standard, along with a few others in here, he's one of the best. Any day of the week I would trust him with a jeter over jsa or psa. He's done amazing work helping with forgeries. So if your reading this thread, I'm sorry for singling you out. I get that the pictures are different, it just scared me that some of the best guys on here were off because of the picture. I reposted for the sole purpose of getting more opinions, that's why I left that out to start. I'm not an expert, was by far the most expensive ball I bought, I don't think I'm wrong with getting as many opinions as I can. I know you guys will say differently, but for me it's just comforting.

tazdmb
10-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Stickers can be printed... easy as that....

The Upper Deck is a patented hologram, can't just be "printed".

Mr. Zipper
10-20-2017, 12:16 PM
I never implied, your just upset I asked for opionions on a ball that had certs, never of which I got in person, so to ask for more help is reasonable. Your fake news suggestion is ridicuous!

Wrong. More fake news from you. I couldn't care less if people ask about an item that is already certed.

I'm irritated because you threw dirt on Chris Williams, one of the finest and most selfless people in the hobby. You can't begin to imagine the garbage he has endured because he's had the guts to go after lowlife criminals.

He has offered THOUSANDS of correct opinions here and elsewhere with an extremely high accuracy rate. Yet, if he makes a rare misstep, someone will crawl out of the woodwork to highlight it. That person is you.

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Seriously?

Maybe you should read the thread again, that was your post before I said anything about Chris. That was you, upset that I asked for opinions after I already had certs. Not sure why your attacking me, I clearly posted about Chris in this thread and how much respect I have for his opinion. Your just a hater, plain and simple. The threads first question was asking for peoples opinions about the ball, not people's opinions on anything else

Sladge34
10-20-2017, 02:04 PM
I'm very grateful for Chris being here. He helped me buy my first jeter autograph. I don't think there's a better person to help you with. Thanks again Chris, and sorry for using your name before

Stampsfan
10-21-2017, 02:03 AM
...Your just a hater, plain and simple....

Dude, seriously... learn the difference between "Your" and "You're", especially when you're calling someone out. You've done this at least twice in this thread, and I'm not really looking; it just stands out.

It doesn't seem like you're on here to build your credibility...

Sladge34
10-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Sorry for the poor grammar. All I wanted was people's opinions on the ball I posted, which I got. Can someone please explain why it is rude to with hold info about the ball? The original question was asking what people thought about the autograph, not anything else. Not sure what difference it makes that I had coa's?? Aren't you guys looking at only the autograph? Doesn't make sense that you guys would need to know about the coa. It's just a piece of paper. I wanted you guys to only look at the autograph, nothing else matters to me

johnmh71
10-21-2017, 08:57 AM
I don't want to speak for anyone, but I think what they are getting at is that you had a coa that you felt relatively comfortable with and you presented the ball as one that you no knowledge of the authenticity. They presented their opinions under a false pretense. I can understand why some may have an issue with that. The only way a site like this works is if we act as a community.

irv
10-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Good or not

Such as?

I haven't read this whole thread, but you asked a simple question, "Good or Not" and I believe you received your answer?

Asking for details and expecting the experts to tell you exactly what is wrong with it is another thing. No one on here likely knows you, or knows you very well, so why would they divulge information that would only assist forgers/scammers to fine tune their work?