PDA

View Full Version : Your Minimum grade for T206 purchases?

silvor
10-09-2017, 08:01 AM
What is the minimum grade you accept for T206's? Assuming centering is at least decent?

For commons and minor leagues, as far as holding value or increasing in value, are 4's good enough? Or does a guy have to get into the higher grades?

(I know, buy what you like etc. But everything eventually gets sold) :)

bnorth
10-09-2017, 08:10 AM
What is the minimum grade you accept for T206's? Assuming centering is at least decent?

For commons and minor leagues, as far as holding value or increasing in value, are 4's good enough? Or does a guy have to get into the higher grades?

(I know, buy what you like etc. But everything eventually gets sold) :)

If you buy nice looking lower grade cards you will not lose money, you also will not make much either. There is a better chance of making money with the higher grades but you can also lose big cash that way. For the most part all cards go through cycles of being popular and not so popular. If you buy when they are being hyped(hot) and then they cool off you will lose money.

If you are worried about card values the main thing is never buy into the hot(hype by sellers) cards.

BruceinGa
10-09-2017, 08:13 AM
I started with PSA 5 or SGC 60. Now I try to get a 6 or higher depending on the card, sometimes 5.5, rarely a 5 now. I always look for well centered examples.

bbcard1
10-09-2017, 11:05 AM
I built a low grade but not beat set that I finished up a few years ago. At the time, I was able to get many commons for $8-12 dollars. Most of them would sell for $25 to $35 now. I might argue that from a percentage increase, lower grade T206s have been a good investment. Probably only a few cards (Green cobb comes to mind) have substantially outpaced them.

Sean
10-09-2017, 11:30 AM
If you buy the low grade they'll be cheaper, but they will still be cheaper when you go to sell. I built much of my set with lower grade cards. It allowed me to spend more on the cards that really mattered to me (Cobb, Young, Johnson, Cub HOFs).

When I go for big cards or rare backs, I can frequently only afford low grade. For example, I have a Cobb/ Lenox SGC 2 that I could never afford in high grade. But the really rare stuff will still go up, even in low grade.

iwantitiwinit
10-09-2017, 12:20 PM
In my opinion if you buy commons in psa 4's it is extremely difficult to make money. You might see prices move higher by say $10 on a common but if you are selling the card mailing and packaging costs (not to mention ebay listing and sales fees if you go that route) will eat into any profit significantly. Additionally, if you want to liquidate a large number of psa 4 commons in one lot you will have difficulty recouping anywhere near what the sum of the individual purchases cost you.

glynparson
10-09-2017, 01:29 PM
i'll buy in any grade because you can sell in any grade. it all comes down to price.

BearBailey
10-09-2017, 05:33 PM
I always go psa 4 and higher. 4 is my minimum but try and get the best possible. If your goal is to resell then get as high as possible. If working on a set choose a grade or range and stick to it.

obcbobd
10-10-2017, 07:02 AM
My preference is for a whole card that is in a single piece. But I will break that rule on occasion

ejharrington
10-10-2017, 08:28 AM
PSA 6 is my minimum