PDA

View Full Version : CDN gray backs?

irv
10-06-2017, 12:57 PM
While just looking at the current REA auction, I came across this Eddie Miskis card and the title/description struck me as I assumed it was pretty much dis-proven that gray backs are in fact not CDN or specific to Canada?
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/Lots/Gallery

Miskis link doesn't work? Pg 5, lot 1122
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=47033

ALR-bishop
10-06-2017, 03:27 PM
The last SCD Catalog I bought still refers to the first 50 gray backs in the 54 set and the 52 gray back cards 131-190, as Canadians. And when REA sold the lot with 59 of 60 of them not long back it also made reference to them as Canadians, citing the old popular theory. Lemke did an article some years back, which a search for " Topps 1952 Canadians" will turn up, that offered some contrary theories based on statements from some well known collectors that feel strongly based on their personal collecting experience that the cards did not originate in Canada

But I think you can still find views both ways and hobby lore is such that most 52 collectors would fully understand the reference to those gray backs as Canadians.

irv
10-06-2017, 07:43 PM
The last SCD Catalog I bought still refers to the first 50 gray backs in the 54 set and the 52 gray back cards 131-190, as Canadians. And when REA sold the lot with 59 of 60 of them not long back it also made reference to them as Canadians, citing the old popular theory. Lemke did an article some years back, which a search for " Topps 1952 Canadians" will turn up, that offered some contrary theories based on statements from some well known collectors that feel strongly based on their personal collecting experience that the cards did not originate in Canada

But I think you can still find views both ways and hobby lore is such that most 52 collectors would fully understand the reference to those gray backs as Canadians.

Thanks, Al.

I believe it was Lemke's article that made me believe that word was out that these weren't necessarily CDN, but, like you mentioned, being since they were long referred to as CDN's, that will likely stick.