PDA

View Full Version : Subtle Let-Down

abothebear
09-29-2017, 06:14 PM
I received a purchase in the mail and experienced a familiar subtle let-down upon opening it. I took a moment to reflect on what this disappointment may stem from and I realized it was because you spend a lot of time looking at listing, examining the front and the backs of items trying to gauge its value... and your mind gets accustomed to seeing two things... sometimes the front and back scans are even shown in the same photo/file... so, when you receive your purchase in the mail and open it up, somewhere in your mind you have an expectation of two things, and you open it up only to find one... and there is the irrational pang of disappointment.

Does that happen to anyone else? Or is it just me?

irv
09-29-2017, 06:51 PM
I received a purchase in the mail and experienced a familiar subtle let-down upon opening it. I took a moment to reflect on what this disappointment may stem from and I realized it was because you spend a lot of time looking at listing, examining the front and the backs of items trying to gauge its value... and your mind gets accustomed to seeing two things... sometimes the front and back scans are even shown in the same photo/file... so, when you receive your purchase in the mail and open it up, somewhere in your mind you have an expectation of two things, and you open it up only to find one... and there is the irrational pang of disappointment.

It has happened to me and I assume, at some point, it has happened to almost everyone on here.

OsFan
09-29-2017, 08:42 PM
I think the term you are referring to is anti-climactic?

clydepepper
09-29-2017, 09:32 PM

YES.

...and apparently, Dale
-

Leon
09-30-2017, 07:38 AM

That usually happens when I realize I screwed up (after looking at the card again) and missed an important fact, like I already have it. :eek:

ValKehl
09-30-2017, 02:01 PM
That usually happens when I realize I screwed up (after looking at the card again) and missed an important fact, like I already have it. :eek:

Been there, done that! :(

Jcfowler6
09-30-2017, 02:11 PM
At least a dozen times I’ve felt the same thing. It usually passes quickly as I move on to picking something else up quickly in those cases to make up for the odd disappointment. It seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcard1
09-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Could be worse. Could have been a mail order bride.