PDA

View Full Version : "private listing--bidders identities protected"

ls7plus
09-27-2017, 08:07 PM
This is a new one on me. I'm involved in a current auction on ebay and wanted to see the other 12 bids. When I checked them, I saw something I have never, ever seen before: 12 bids which simply stated, "private listing--bidders identities protected." There was also one retracted bid (which would have been the new high bid) with the same language concerning the bidder's identity.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? Is the seller or consignor bidding on his own item? Since when does ebay allow the bidder's identity to remain completely secret? I've seen other incomplete identifications of the bidder, such as r**1008, or something similar, but never "private listing--bidders identities protected."

Should extreme caution be the word of the day here?

Any help/advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

Larry

OsFan
09-27-2017, 08:14 PM
When listening an auction the seller has the option to allow bidders to keep their identities hidden. I guess some folks don’t want their purchase known?

ls7plus
09-27-2017, 08:19 PM
I guess if its the seller's option, that would raise my eyebrows even further--comments?

Best to all,

Larry

swarmee
09-27-2017, 08:25 PM
Yes, proceed with caution. Highly likely to be a shill seller, IMO. eBay has allowed these shenanigans for years.

doug.goodman
09-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Ebay doesn't care about you being involved in non-shilled auctions, and this is their way of making it easier to shill.

Remember, they make more money on a shilled auction than they do on a non-shilled auction.

I'm sure the seller, and probably ebay, would say the private auctions are keeping YOUR info safe, because it's hard for you to logically argue against keeping YOUR info safe. But they are liars and thieves, who we freguently use to buy stuff.

Doug

OsFan
09-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Are you saying that a seller may have a separate account used to shill bid their own auctions and because they are able to keep the identity of that second account hidden they won’t get found out?
Seems like eBay would still know the identity and would be able to put a stop to it. Of course that’s if eBay even cares about those things anymore. Who knows...

Leon
09-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Are you saying that a seller may have a separate account used to shill bid their own auctions and because they are able to keep the identity of that second account hidden they won’t get found out?
Seems like eBay would still know the identity and would be able to put a stop to it. Of course that’s if eBay even cares about those things anymore. Who knows...

Oh they care. Where they can make more money they care. Shilling makes them more money though I don't know that is the reason they don't try to stop it.

silvor
09-28-2017, 01:12 PM
They know if you have 2 accounts. Pretty easy with same address, credit info, names etc.

But if your friend across the country bids on your items, they really can't tell. At first.

ls7plus
09-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Thank you for your advice and comments, gentlemen. I subscribe to the notion that if it smells fishy, it most likely is, and my prime concern was shill bidding at work here. This item went unusually quickly from "Buy It Now" to auction, and then all the bidders' identities are private. That along with your comments leads me to conclude that this is what is indeed going on.

Your assistance is very much appreciated,

Larry

thetruthisoutthere
09-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Ebay doesn't care about you being involved in non-shilled auctions, and this is their way of making it easier to shill.

Remember, they make more money on a shilled auction than they do on a non-shilled auction.

I'm sure the seller, and probably ebay, would say the private auctions are keeping YOUR info safe, because it's hard for you to logically argue against keeping YOUR info safe. But they are liars and thieves, who we freguently use to buy stuff.

Doug

+1

http://live.autographmagazine.com/profiles/blogs/does-ebay-now-permit-shill-bidding

doug.goodman
09-29-2017, 04:01 AM

Who knows? Ha! See my previous post...

doug.goodman
09-29-2017, 04:03 AM
They know if you have 2 accounts. Pretty easy with same address, credit info, names etc.

But if your friend across the country bids on your items, they really can't tell. At first.

OR...

Your friend who lives in the same house as you but has a different name and their own credit card.