PDA

View Full Version : Red Cross Type 1s, going up?

edjs
09-21-2017, 11:40 AM
In the last few weeks, two different Type 1 Red Cross cards sold, a PSA 4 Tinker at PWCC and a SGC 50 Crawford from Goodwin. The Tinker sold for $5111, the Crawford for $3259. Is this normal for Red Cross cards, are they on the rise, or is this a set collector going for the highest graded? I am curious what your thoughts are.

Rhotchkiss
09-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Well, I was the under-bidder on the Tinker was very confident that $5k+ was sufficient to get it done; obviously, it was not. The Crawford went strong as well. I guess Red Cross (esp type 1) are getting caught up in the rare-back mania, and are being treated more like the Red Hindu and BL rare, than the Brown Hindu and AB/Cycle/EPDG/Tolstoi

ullmandds
09-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Well, I was the under-bidder on the Tinker was very confident that $5k+ was sufficient to get it done; obviously, it was not. The Crawford went strong as well. I guess Red Cross (esp type 1) are getting caught up in the rare-back mania, and are being treated more like the Red Hindu and BL rare, than the Brown Hindu and AB/Cycle/EPDG/Tolstoi

As they should be...imo!!!!!!

Rhotchkiss
09-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Agreed.

ullmandds
09-21-2017, 12:35 PM
atleast the "types" with brown print...like t206.

Sean
09-21-2017, 01:06 PM
I lost out on the Crawford, which I thought was a fair price. The Tinker shocked me. I don't know if the Type-2s are up as well. To me they're the same, but I know some of us prefer the brown-captioned Type-1s because they're identical to T206s.

I blame Ted for this price increase on the Type-1s. :)

Jobu
09-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Those are also really nice grades for T215s, HOFers, and from popular teams - there are lots of reasons why these two might do well. I think we need to wait for fall auctions to really see what might or might not be happening. After following these somewhat closely, T215s seem to fluctuate quite a bit but don't trend up or down for too long before reversing course. With all that said, I might be full of crap too :D

brass_rat
09-21-2017, 06:07 PM
If anything, I think these two prices point to how illiquid and volatile prices are in these sets (and others like them).

The Tinker last sold for $4183 in Heritage 2014, and that was a high price at the time relative to other sales within the set. With the eBay Tinker sale, two bidders put in what look like nuclear bids just above 5k -- the seller got lucky. Out of 17 bidders, the second underbidder only bid $2444... So where does the next PSA 4 Tinker sell tomorrow, if one existed? Probably $2500 at most.

On the Crawford, a nice example sold for $1375 back in March. Slightly lower technical grade, but almost as nice from a visual perspective.

REA had several very nice, high grade T215s in their last two auctions that barely cleared 1000 for non-HOF...SGC 60s range.

These two sales (Tinker/Crawford) look like outliers to me.

Cheers,
Steve

edjs
09-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Interesting observations, guys. Thanks for your input. I guess Jobu is right, we will see what happens in REA (if there are any in the auction).

ullmandds
09-22-2017, 06:07 PM
I think there will be highs and lows in future t215 sales...people going for runs and sets will drive up prices for specific cards...Hofers will bring strong prices...but I think occasionally some may go a bit cheaper...like many other issues.

ccre
09-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Does anyone know if there's any differences in population between type 1 and 2s?

brass_rat
09-23-2017, 06:30 PM
There are certainly differences for individual players, but for the two types overall, they are roughly equal in population.

At various points in time, one was tougher than the other -- Type 2 carried a 20% premium in Erbe's 1982 guide. Today though, I wouldn't think that people would put a premium on one or the other. As previously mentioned, the Type 1 cards look more like a T206 with the brown name/team captions, so they have that going for them. :)

Cheers,
Steve