PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone collect vintage Star Wars?

mechanicalman
09-16-2017, 02:45 PM
I have no idea why, but I just started browsing vintage Star Wars figures. It appears there are a few companies assigning grades to loose and carded figures. I doubt I'll spend a lot here, but I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to this category, so any words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Thecafewha
09-16-2017, 03:11 PM
I mostly collect Masters of the Universe and have had some of my carded and loose figures graded (usually for resale purposes). I am familiar with AFA which is the gold standard and is pretty respected. A newer company is Collector Archive Services. I have seen some pretty neat displays and larger pieces encased by them and they look great.

My personal problem with grading figures is that the plastics are degrading quickly and paints change color over time. I have had high graded figures that have literally fallen apart inside the bubble or the bubble itself has fallen off. Yet it's still in a graded case and can be sold as such.

Unlike cards, I prefer my action figures raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill77
09-18-2017, 09:43 AM
If you do buy any carded Star Wars figures just be aware that some of them have been re-carded. There are auctions on e-bay all the time for re-card kits for all of the old Star Wars action figures. I was considering buying a carded figure at one point and saw all of the kits for sale and realized that most of the figures that looked really nice were re-carded.

seanofjapan
09-23-2017, 07:55 PM
I bought a lot of them, mostly loose ones but a few carded, about 6-7 years ago in order to re live my childhood. I picked up a lot of the vehicles too, including the Millenium Falcon complete in its Empire Strikes Back box (same one I got when I was 6)! I am only about 5 figures short of the original 85.

I am glad I bought them when I did since prices have gone through the roof since then, thanks to the new movies I think. I usedto buy a lot on the Rebel Scum forums, but can't pay the prices the stuff commands anymore.

Jantz
09-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Hi Sam

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have and I will try and help you the best I can.

Check out these websites as well.

rebelscum.com

imperialgunnery.com

Do your homework before you spend any money. Most of the weapons & accessories for these vintage figures have been mass reproduced since most kids lost them. The original weapons & accessories are a key component to buying & selling these figures and can sell for more than the actual figures alone.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM though if you need more information.

Jantz