PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Topps 3D Stamped Proof?

braves_43
09-15-2017, 12:57 PM
I am looking for help in identifying this card, which I believe is a 1968 Topps 3D stamped proof / prototype - is this correct? If so, can anyone provide me with some more insight and information on this specific card?

From the research I've done, it looks like this set is normally pretty pricey and the prototypes with this stamp are even more pricey - is this also correct?

How much is this card worth?

Should I get it graded? Would SGC / PSA encapsulate this card?

Thanks in advance!

Bestdj777
09-15-2017, 02:01 PM
it's not worth anything as it's not for resale :)

braves_43
09-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Fair point...

JollyElm
09-15-2017, 03:17 PM
No idea about value, but if you want to trade it, please check out my buckets and see if anything floats your boat.

swarmee
09-15-2017, 03:21 PM
PSA has graded one already:
https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball-cards/1968/topps-3-d-prototype/105115

braves_43
09-15-2017, 04:00 PM
PM sent Jolly.

ALR-bishop
09-15-2017, 04:25 PM
It is not a prototype ( B Robinson) or unissued proof (of which there are 3 that I know of--Monday/Davis/ O' Donahue ) Fairly and Maloney are the two most common of the Topps 3d cards. There are two front versions of each, dugout or no dugout. The one you posted is no dugout.

There is an Olberman SCD article discussed in a Topps 68 3d thread in here, that talks about the set as issued on a limited basis, and the unissued prototype and 3 unissued proofs. It also talks about the back differences and stamps on the issued cards. The article can be googled "Topps 1968 3d Olberman SCD"

Some of the cards in my set have blank backs. Some have stamps like yours or variances of it. The stamps and back differences are discussed in the Olbermann article. Since the Fairly is one of the most common cards from the set, relatively, many set collectors may have it. But if there is a collector looking for a master set, he might pay a premium for that card back.

I have only collected the front variations, so have 2 Fairly cards. You can likely find current and completed auctions for the Fairly card on eBay

braves_43
09-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Thank you for the info Al, that helps.

I can't find much, current or completed, on eBay.

The only thing I can find with the same back stamp are two other commons (not Fairly) currently listed in a PSA 3 with asking prices of $4,995 each. Are those outrageous asking prices?

For the Fairly, I don't see anything with the back stamp.

One raw Fairly with no back stamp in about the same looking condition as mine sold for $250.

If you think a master collector would pay a premium, how much would the premium be?

ALR-bishop
09-15-2017, 06:36 PM
The Fairly comes up on eBay regularly and usually they do not sell because of high asking prices. Someone keeps offering a bunch of highly graded 3Ds on eBay, some pretty scarce, but at prices high enough that they do not sell.

The cards are scarce enough I think most who collect the set don't care what is on the back. I don't know anyone going for a master set ( maybe Larry and Olberman), so I am not sure what premium a seller might pay for a specific back they did not have

In putting my set together (12, plus the extra Fairly and Maloney) the Fairly and Maloney cards were the least expensive. The dugout versions seem scarcer and were more expensive than the no dugout versions.

I am in California for wedding. When back I can send you link to the Olberman article. To see a great version of the full issued set, see bobsbbcards set in the PSA Registry. Bob has one of the B Robinson prototypes ( not sure if it is one John references above), but it is not part of the Registry composition of that set

toppcat
09-17-2017, 08:17 AM
A Fairly in 3 would be a $300-$350 card IMO and that may be a little high. The back stamp is more desirable than the blank back and might add a little juice, even with a small stain. These are scarce cards-not the toughest of the era but pretty close for a legitimately issued set and having one is pretty nice.

KCRfan1
09-17-2017, 05:46 PM
I don't see this card as a 3, as prevoius sales are comparison only.

It appears there is cracking and flaking on the front of this card.

Perhaps the poster can elaborate on condition. My guess is the card grades a 1, and certainly worth grading due to the particular issue of the card, some scarcity and desirability.

hcv123
09-17-2017, 06:58 PM
I believe the $300-350 may be a bit high with what appears to be some visible cracking. Backs available in Black print, red print and blank. Printed backs are much tougher than blank backs, but as previously mentioned so far do not carry a significant premium.

braves_43
09-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info on value guys.

Condition is probably a 1-2 as there is some cracking and flaking on the front.

ALR-bishop
09-18-2017, 08:48 AM
SCD aritcle

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/deciphering_variations_in_the_quirky_1968_3-ds/

Red stamp example...and an easel

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/Fish20Eagle20Participation20Agreement327_zps2zs1nc u3.jpg?t=1505659528