PDA

View Full Version : Called Shot

Enfuego
09-14-2017, 05:58 PM
So I just finished a book titled "Called Shot" and I noticed so many different perspectives about it. Some say yeah he pointed, others deny it and some are unsure. Me personally, for that type of ego, I am almost certain the man pointed to right center field a POOF! Homerun...

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrSeven
09-14-2017, 07:48 PM
I think he was pointing at Charlie Root. There was a reason Ruth never embellished on the "called shot" later in life and kept flip-flopping on recollection of the event.

Enfuego
09-14-2017, 08:03 PM
I think he was pointing at Charlie Root. There was a reason Ruth never embellished on the "called shot" later in life and kept flip-flopping on recollection of the event.

That could be, but I think the ones who know the actual truth are in fact Ruth, the catcher and umpire...but we will never know the truth

clydepepper
09-15-2017, 05:38 AM
I don't know about all that, but...

I did see Gregg Zaun call his shot in the 1999 Hall-of-Fame Game!

Once you witness something like that (and I do have it on DVD), not only to you realize it is possible, you will never forget it!

MVSNYC
09-15-2017, 06:58 AM
Supposedly the Cubs bench was riding him hard, so there was a lot of jawing back & forth. I wouldn't doubt that he pointed towards the fence and said he was going to slam a homerun. Epic.

Cliff Bowman
09-15-2017, 07:40 AM
If he did, he did it without Charlie Root or Gabby Hartnett realizing what he was doing. If either of them had any inkling of Ruth doing that he would have been eating the batters box dirt on the following pitch.

Enfuego
09-15-2017, 03:23 PM
If he did, he did it without Charlie Root or Gabby Hartnett realizing what he was doing. If either of them had any inkling of Ruth doing that he would have been eating the batters box dirt on the following pitch.

You are right! I mean I know if I was on the mound and you're pointing to where you're taking my pitch, 1 of 2 things will happen...waste a pitch or aim for you...

RTK
09-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Considering the era more than Ruth's ego, he was probably pointing at Root. Had be said anything about a Home Run, Root would have stuck it in his ear.

jerrys
09-26-2017, 06:39 AM
I wrote an article on this subject more than ten years ago. When I set it up initially the audio played only when click on but it now starts when the page is opened (?) - however the Jack Brickhouse audio will be repeated when actuated.

http://bcc.anaclubs.org/babe-cs.htm