PDA

View Full Version : Was enjoying the Mile Hile catalog over a glass of wine

Snapolit1
09-05-2017, 06:21 PM
beautiful catalog . . . interesting stuff . . . wow, beautiful Delongs . . . great catalog. . . and then I saw the dreaded word . . . that sickening word. . . was hoping I was mistaken. . . . but no, there is was. . . . I was immediately kind of quesy. Yes, there is was. Pasteboard. Blasted goddamm pasteboard. I hate you pasteboard. I absolutely 'effin despise you.

Peter_Spaeth
09-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Yeah, that's a Drentism from way back. LOL. Hopefully he isn't still describing cards as the color of the Hawaiian sunset, I remember that one from way back when.:D

spaidly
09-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Moist pasteboard in my trousers. Beat that.

T206Collector
09-06-2017, 07:25 PM
It's probably more technically correct than "cardboard" but it is such a distraction in the text. Like a wise-ass winking at you after a dry joke or something. Amateurish, and suggests the author doesn't really take his job all that seriously. An unwanted reminder -- ironically from an auction house -- that you're spending too much money on baseball cards! :eek:

Peter_Spaeth
09-06-2017, 07:33 PM
It's probably more technically correct than "cardboard" but it is such a distraction in the text. Like a wise-ass winking at you after a dry joke or something. Amateurish, and suggests the author doesn't really take his job all that seriously. An unwanted reminder -- ironically from an auction house -- that you're spending too much money on baseball cards! :eek:

I think you're being too harsh on Brian. He's just having fun with it is my guess, who gives a damn about the description anyway? At least he isn't telling people a PSA 8 Koufax is on the verge of being a 200K card.

brianp-beme
09-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Did your wine come from a glass bottle or did it emanate from pasteboard? ;)

Brian

RedsFan1941
09-06-2017, 07:38 PM
little cheese with your whine?

T206Collector
09-06-2017, 08:22 PM
I think you're being too harsh on Brian. He's just having fun with it is my guess, who gives a damn about the description anyway? At least he isn't telling people a PSA 8 Koufax is on the verge of being a 200K card.

Yeah, that's fair. But, if it was my consignment, I'd rather he play it straight.

CW
09-07-2017, 11:13 PM
"Extant". That's the one that gets me. It doesn't make me queasy, but it's annoying for some reason. :)