PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed; when seller renegs

RealToppsaholic
09-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Recently did a buyitnow on ebay on a t206 card that was newly listed at just under 500 with a VCP value of over 800.

A day later we get a cancel notice and no message.

Upon contacting seller we were told it was a software error; we were of course refunded and that was that.

The seller is a very well-known respected and liked dealer and it didn't cross our mind to leave a negative or anything of the sort because we know these things can happen as a seller. We have met him at shows and he is all class. So we let it go (our only option lol) ...

The ironic twist is we failed to deliver a card (right around the same time) due to a pricing error and were chastised by the buyer to an extreme extent. Berated. And of course a negative left for us too. The buyer is also a well known and liked dealer/collector ...
We were told deliver the card 'or else' and this is the warm-ups.

Thoughts?

TPHLC

here to #1 have fun #2 buy cards #3 sell a few

Leon
09-05-2017, 08:31 AM
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I had someone cancel 2 auction wins of mine not long ago, that they agreed to on buy it nows. I gave them 2 negatives (their first ones) and moved on. Life is too short to go around all negative minded. Take care of it and move on, is my advice.

bobbyw8469
09-05-2017, 08:42 AM
I too, have had issues such as yours. I gave away a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams due to an Ebay "glitch" and was expected and did indeed, deliver the card. But you are right....Giving the seller a pass, when you are held to the same standards when you sell, is not right. Seller deserves a NEG.....you surely would have received one if the roles were reversed.

Republicaninmass
09-05-2017, 10:00 AM
I believe ebays terms and conditions state once a sales is completed, ie paid for, the seller is bound to a legal contract. When is it carelessness, software glitches, or technical issues?

Is this enforceable? We'll, that is certainly beyond my paygrade. I'm guessing it will only take one lawsuit to establish the answer, and susequently have ebays legalese rewritten to help sellers.....or buyers

Rich Falvo
09-05-2017, 12:06 PM
I bought a $25 card on a BIN. The seller messaged me that he could not find the card and thought that it must have been sold in his physical store and the ebay listing wasn't taken down yet. He refunded my money very quickly and left me positive feedback. I did not leave any feedback. This wasn't a big enough deal to get too upset about.

Ronnie73
09-05-2017, 02:01 PM
I've had an issue with one seller, Deans Cards. I say the name because it is what it is. The problem was I did a Buy It Now on ebay as soon as the card was listed and paid for it at the same time. The next day I get a refund and was told the card sold on their website. Now this can be exactly what happened and I did get a refund but it was a card I had been searching for many years. I didn't leave any feedback in a case such as this. I understand many sellers have websites and ebay stores with the same cards listed and this kind of thing happens. The only thing is, that it's very difficult to forget.

Sean
09-05-2017, 02:26 PM
I've had an issue with one seller, Deans Cards. I say the name because it is what it is. The problem was I did a Buy It Now on ebay as soon as the card was listed and paid for it at the same time. The next day I get a refund and was told the card sold on their website. Now this can be exactly what happened and I did get a refund but it was a card I had been searching for many years. I didn't leave any feedback in a case such as this. I understand many sellers have websites and ebay stores with the same cards listed and this kind of thing happens. The only thing is, that it's very difficult to forget.
I won a card from Kruk Cards in an eBay auction. It sold for $380, after a similar card had sold for $525 two weeks earlier. Kruk cancelled the next day, saying the card had been "listed in error" and that they didn't have it any longer. I left them a neg and never did any business with them again.

Jim65
09-05-2017, 04:36 PM
I had a seller cancel my sale after it was paid for, I neg`d him and moved on.

swarmee
09-05-2017, 07:49 PM
I won a card from Kruk Cards in an eBay auction. It sold for $380, after a similar card had sold for $525 two weeks earlier. Kruk cancelled the next day, saying the card had been "listed in error" and that they didn't have it any longer. I left them a neg and never did any business with them again.
Same seller, I bought a pallet of uncut sheets (like 500) and krukcards said they lost them and refunded my money. It took them about a week to realize they weren't in the warehouse anymore. I buy very sparingly from them, like once every 5 years.

Santo10Fan
09-05-2017, 10:03 PM
I bought a $25 card on a BIN. The seller messaged me that he could not find the card and thought that it must have been sold in his physical store and the ebay listing wasn't taken down yet. He refunded my money very quickly and left me positive feedback. I did not leave any feedback. This wasn't a big enough deal to get too upset about.

I bought a 1916-D dime cash from a storefront dealer once and I had to email him a few days later to tell him my coin was still on his website.

mechanicalman
09-05-2017, 10:22 PM

Same seller, almost same issue. I had a 4-figure card in my watchlist that went on sale so I quickly did a BIN. Was told the card was "no longer in their inventory" and had my money refunded. I figured they didn't mean to discount said card and made up a lie to get out of the situation. So I left a negative. If they had been honest, I would not have had a problem. Almost all of their NEGs are the same issue. And of course, the card that was "missing" was back on ebay a month later. I won't deal with dishonest sellers.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-05-2017, 10:45 PM
As a seller I have unfortunately had the "oops I sold it live" situation, I think twice. I normally am very good about updating my ebay store while at a show, but occasionally I get too busy and don't get back to a given card, It sucks when it happens and I usually offer an additional discount on any replacement item as an apology.

glynparson
09-06-2017, 04:22 AM
to just unilaterally give a seller a negative for canceling a sale is BS. Sellers are humans and can make mistakes. Holding people to the impossible standard of perfection is a pile of horse manure. Hope all those who have done so with out proper provocation are perfect at their jobs and don't get a strike at work for a possible innocent mistake. After you collect more info a negative may be warranted but not simply because an error was made. Those instances where the card gets relisted at higher values obviously warrants a negative as does someone where this happens repeatedly.

Leon
09-06-2017, 07:33 AM
to just unilaterally give a seller a negative for canceling a sale is BS. Sellers are humans and can make mistakes. Holding people to the impossible standard of perfection is a pile of horse manure. Hope all those who have done so with out proper provocation are perfect at their jobs and don't get a strike at work for a possible innocent mistake. After you collect more info a negative may be warranted but not simply because an error was made. Those instances where the card gets relisted at higher values obviously warrants a negative as does someone where this happens repeatedly.

Some are honest mistakes and others are BS Glynn. The negs I gave were for 2 canceled sales because the seller said they were told the cards were fake. Then they relisted them again individually and with different prices. Also, they used an ebay id that was almost identical to their original one. Some sellers deserve negs for their actions.....a few don't. But giving them a free for all pass is BS too.

slidekellyslide
09-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Mostly agree with this statement. I accidentally listed a large lot of vintage Star Wars toys with a $9.99 BIN...it was supposed to be an auction. When you use ebay's listing software it always stays with the last template you used, I forgot I had listed some postcards with BINs. The person who hit the BIN was not happy when I told him that it was clearly a mistake, but he told me he was going to sue me, that ebay's listings were a contract, et cetera. I apologized, but he still left me a negative for what was CLEARLY a mistake. The lot ended up selling for over $500 when I relisted it correctly.

Ronnie73
09-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Some are honest mistakes and others are BS Glynn. The negs I gave were for 2 canceled sales because the seller said they were told the cards were fake. Then they relisted them again individually and with different prices. Also, they used an ebay id that was almost identical to their original one. Some sellers deserve negs for their actions.....a few don't. But giving them a free for all pass is BS too.

I agree with Leon, but I do really hate giving negative feedback. If the proof is there, then yes, it's a negative. My problem is sometimes the proof does not show its self in time for proper feedback. In those cases, I usually leave no feedback but a silent customer is worse than a complaining customer. A silent customer usually never comes back but a complaint can be worked on. I'm in the auto repair business and I jump at the chance to fix a complaint or issue that one of my customers may have. At least I know they will be back for more work but if someone has an issue and never tells me or gives me a chance to fix the issue, that's a customer lost for good.

I've been lucky you could say. Nearly all transactions go well. I do however stay away from "red flags" and "to good to be true" auctions and sales. It also helps that I'm always willing to pay a fair price while not looking for any cherries on top.

bmattioli
09-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Mostly agree with this statement. I accidentally listed a large lot of vintage Star Wars toys with a $9.99 BIN...it was supposed to be an auction. When you use ebay's listing software it always stays with the last template you used, I forgot I had listed some postcards with BINs. The person who hit the BIN was not happy when I told him that it was clearly a mistake, but he told me he was going to sue me, that ebay's listings were a contract, et cetera. I apologized, but he still left me a negative for what was CLEARLY a mistake. The lot ended up selling for over $500 when I relisted it correctly.

Sorry, I would have been peeved as well.. When I list an item I review it just in case.. Once you hit that "List It" option to me your liable..

slidekellyslide
09-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Sorry, I would have been peeved as well.. When I list an item I review it just in case.. Once you hit that "List It" option to me your liable..

Really? You would have been "peeved" at a clear mistake? Would you also have threatened to sue me?