PDA

View Full Version : "Situation" with a dealer need your take....

whiteymet
09-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Hi Guys:

A dealer had an item listed on his site for sale with a dollar figure and a note saying the card is currently at PSA for grading.

I added the card to my cart along with a few others, purchased and paid for them via paypal through their site. I received a confirmation email of the purchase as well.

A day later I received this note:

The (card) is being graded and not available for sale. The price may go up or down based on the grade, I will email when we get it back. Thanks much and sorry for confusion.

They say the card is not available for sale, yet it was listed for sale on their site with a price. I was willing to buy the card sight unseen regardless of the grade it would get.

This is not a situation where say a $500 card was listed for $50.

If this happened to you what would your reply to the dealer be?

Thanks!

bnorth
09-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Hi Guys:

A dealer had an item listed on his site for sale with a dollar figure and a note saying the card is currently at PSA for grading.

I added the card to my cart along with a few others, purchased and paid for them via paypal through their site.

A day later I received this note:

The (card) is being graded and not available for sale. The price may go up or down based on the grade, I will email when we get it back. Thanks much and sorry for confusion.

They say the card is not available for sale, yet it was listed for sale on their site with a price. I was willing to buy the card sight unseen regardless of the grade it would get.

This is not a situation where say a $500 card was listed for $50.

If this happened to you what would your reply to the dealer be?

Thanks!

I would move on and never buy from then again.

Bestdj777
09-02-2017, 07:30 PM
I would say, "thank you, please shoot me a message with the grade and price when it gets back from grading." It seems like the guy wanted to grade it but didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it down and then relisting. Definitely frustrating if you really wanted the card but not really a situation in my opinion.

rdixon1208
09-02-2017, 07:37 PM
I would say, "thank you, please shoot me a message with the grade and price when it gets back from grading." It seems like the guy wanted to grade it but didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it down and then relisting. Definitely frustrating if you really wanted the card but not really a situation in my opinion.

Yeah I agree with this. Doesn't seem like anything to get too worked up over. Hopefully you still get the card.

Sean
09-03-2017, 12:24 AM
Yeah I agree with this. Doesn't seem like anything to get too worked up over. Hopefully you still get the card.

Though if this dealer thinks that you really want it, the price will almost certainly go up.

enuffsenuff
09-03-2017, 02:07 AM
You should be able to work this through with the dealer. One would assume the card was priced according to the dealers assessment of its condition therefore the grade should be in line with his pricing or potentially lower. Did the website price include the grading process ? If not the dealer will expect you to contribute to that process. I find it is always better to keep people onside that fall out. After all there's always another card around the corner

Rich Falvo
09-03-2017, 05:39 AM
I don't think it's a big situation. I think adding a note that a card is out for grading indicates that it may temporarily not be for sale.

Republicaninmass
09-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Most likely a case of the card not yet in inventory, so he cant yet complete the transaction

However

This is not a situation where say a $500 card was listed for $50.*

If it was this situation, why should it be different?

A pricing error or technical error once the card has been "sold" is a slippery slope. If some new information comes to after the sale and before it is shipped, can dealers just use this excuse and relist?

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Well check when a major retailer like WalMart or Amazon has a pricing error. It's not hard to find the stories online and basically no, they don't usually honor them.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-wont-honor-pricing-mistake/

Neal
09-03-2017, 07:39 AM
I would ask for the right of first refusal once the card comes back.

Republicaninmass
09-03-2017, 07:52 AM
I'm sure there are a million others, but I liked this

The company said that its terms of use strictly state that no contract for sale has been formed until customers receive an e-mail stating that their order has shipped,*

Might be worth adding to some sellers terms.

Where does it become an ethics vs legal battle? Sellers lists every card at buy it now at 1$ each. One sells and right away another buyer offers $10. Can a Seller hide behind a pricing error even though all cards were the same price? For 9 bucks I can't see making a big deal, I'm using it for principal.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Well it's important to note that here in USA you can't sign away your UCC rights, so if they have a policy that violates the UCC and you agree to that policy, it doesn't matter it's unenforceable. If they consider the contract formed upon receipt of email stating item has shipped, then they violated their own policy AND most likely the UCC by rerouting the shipment back to them.

whiteymet
09-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Hi Guys:

Sorry, I was away for the long week end.

Thanks for your input. Don't know yet what will happen, but I will keep you all informed going forward.

Any thoughts from others?

bobbyw8469
09-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Tell him the offer stands as it is now, irregardless of grade. Once the grade comes back, just like he reserves the right to raise the price, tell him, you reserve the right to lower your offer. Put the ball in his court.

:PS - if he thinks you are desperate, he may raise the price anyway. You should put yourself in the frame of mind to walk away.

Flintboy
09-05-2017, 11:18 PM
I guess I'm confused. Guy buys the card for sale, the dealer should honor it, bottom line. Do not understand anyone making excuses or taking the side of the dealer.....pretty cut and dry to me.

glynparson
09-06-2017, 04:37 AM
On this I agree with BobbyW. Exactly how you should approach it. I honestly feel the dealer should honor the sale price if whiteymet is willing to wait until it is returned from grading. I would possibly inquire if i paid the grading fee on top of the asking price would he commit to the sale right now regardless of grade, this only if i felt i really needed the crd or thought the price plus grading was still very reasonable, but I would understand one just wanting to hold their ground on the initial pricing.