PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mantle Autograph Verification

quinnsryche
09-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm terrible at Mantle's autograph so I'm asking if anyone can tell me if this one is good or not. The overall size is 18" x 15".
Thanks in advance, Tony

Mr. Zipper
09-01-2017, 02:30 PM
You can shred it without any hesitation or doubt. Sorry.

quinnsryche
09-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks Steve. I was pretty sure that was the case but wanted to be sure. I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone what to look for in trying to figure out whether one is good or bad.

mr2686
09-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Looks bad to be as well. I'm still not the best Mantle expert in the world, but have been studying his sig quite a bit over the past month, and this one looks bad to me.

Sophiedog
09-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Yeah...That's fugly

Duluth Eskimo
09-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Ok, call me stupid but despite the terrible looking M's and hard up and down movements, there are things that make me think this could be a really bad good one. I would be interested in hearing some more opinions.

MrSeven
09-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Doesn't look good in my opinion (especially the first M). Any markings on the back indicating the brand of paper, etc.?

Duluth Eskimo
09-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Shelly? Chris?

quinnsryche
09-01-2017, 06:43 PM
It's matted so I can't see the back at all.

Terrier8HOF
09-02-2017, 06:50 AM
it's a forgery. Dissect it any way you like, but if you just stand back and look at, it's way off. Just another opinion for you. how many more do you need?

bnorth
09-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Does anybody know who the forger is? I know some on here even know that info and I find it fascinating.

Mr. Zipper
09-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Does anybody know who the forger is? I know some on here even know that info and I find it fascinating.

This is a common fake style produced in quantity. I believe I know who penned this, but I can't prove it, so he shall go unnamed. Someone known and active in the hobby. In my experience, most forgers start as dealers or collectors.

Here is another example of his work. Do a side-by-side with the questioned example and you'll see the same atypical traits. There are some differences due to ball vs. flat, but some of the same markers are there in my opinion.

Fuddjcal
09-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Ok, call me stupid but despite the terrible looking M's and hard up and down movements, there are things that make me think this could be a really bad good one. I would be interested in hearing some more opinions.

I would call you stupid, but you know that Fudd does not do those sort of things;)

Seriously though, I could tell it was a fake before I even scrolled down to look at the signature. That photo is not one you'll see an authentic Mantle on. At least I don't recall ever seeing an authentic one? This one is actually PUTRID, IMHO.

If you notice how the first M is outside the white uniform and then the signature ends in the shadow. :eek: Never would have happened. The Mick would have his signature perfectly hitting that white spot with his first M moon and it would have fit perfect. WOULD NOT BE GOING INTO SHADOWS PERIOD;) Hope that helps, Stupid!:D

MrSeven
09-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Dissect it any way you like, but if you just stand back and look at, it's way off.

This has to be the single best piece of advice when it comes to collecting. The more I look at known good examples that first initial quick glance at a suspect piece and intuition seems to always be right.

Seems like myself and others often try to force an autograph to fit.

Duluth Eskimo
09-02-2017, 02:53 PM
I would call you stupid, but you know that Fudd does not do those sort of things;)

Seriously though, I could tell it was a fake before I even scrolled down to look at the signature. That photo is not one you'll see an authentic Mantle on. At least I don't recall ever seeing an authentic one? This one is actually PUTRID, IMHO.

If you notice how the first M is outside the white uniform and then the signature ends in the shadow. :eek: Never would have happened. The Mick would have his signature perfectly hitting that white spot with his first M moon and it would have fit perfect. WOULD NOT BE GOING INTO SHADOWS PERIOD;) Hope that helps, Stupid!:D

I get what you're saying, I'm just asking a question. There are too many people that just say "oh yeah, I knew that was a forgery" after certain people make a comment aka: followers. I have personally received well over 100 in person Mantle's and observed hundreds more. I'm not afraid to generate discussion. Like I said I know the M's are terrible.

I agree with the photo, I think it's an Ozzie Sweet copy and not a photo file which was pretty much what was available then. Enough said, I will let the dead horse die. Thanks for the opinion Chuck

irv
09-03-2017, 05:20 AM
I know zero about signatures but the more info on what is wrong/bad with them that gets made public, the more these signatures will continue to increase in numbers, and the more difficult they will become to dissect and prove to be fakes. (JMO)

shelly
09-04-2017, 11:41 AM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

shelly
09-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Shelly? Chris?
Sorry I did not back to you sooner. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: