PDA

View Full Version : First time on the board in a while, and probably won't be back for a while

Howe’s Hunter
09-01-2017, 02:27 PM
First off, again, thanks to all the members who have helped so much over the past nine years in rebuilding the Howe McCormick collection.

But real life has brought my collecting days to a halt, at least for the time being. Back on June 9, I lost my job of the last 14 years, and as of today, still haven't found anything in my career field to replace it. I was lucky enough that when my job was eliminated, I was given a severance package, but being cautious with what might be all we have for a while, collecting cards has been put on hold. Haven't even been on eBay since the day before the job loss, and think I've been on the board here maybe only once or twice the first week after. Bit hard to go somewhere to talk about stuff you can't participate in for the time being.

While I'm not actively collecting, or even visiting auction sites, I wouldn't mind it if anyone happens to see one of the cards dropping me a personal message through the board, just so I could add the card to the data base I've been keeping. One way of staying involved without getting too involved.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help over the years. Hopefully, I'll be back, sooner than later. Good luck to everyone in their pursuits.

Ed

ullmandds
09-01-2017, 02:34 PM
good luck Ed...with everything...see you back someday!

trdcrdkid
09-01-2017, 02:37 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that, Ed. I hope you can find something else soon. Good luck with everything.

Topnotchsy
09-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Ed,

I don't know you, (I'm pretty new on these boards) but wishing you lots of luck.

What field are you in? There's an incredible range of people here, and maybe someone here will know something.

kailes2872
09-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Ed,
Best of luck to you and sorry about the job loss. I went through it two years ago after 18 years with a company. It took about 90 days to land into my next role and it turned out to be a bigger job with a company that I really enjoy.

During that search, however, it was a daily roller coaster. On one day, I would hear from multiple recruiters and wonder which opportunity I would take. Then, the next few days it would be silent and I would wonder at what point I would need to get a paper route or work in fast food.

It was more of a battle of the mind than anything else. I ended up with 4 job offers before the warn period was over and I got to bank the entire severance. However, I can tell you that it felt like 3 years. I could only do so much on linkedin, but I felt guilty when I wasn't on it networking.

Maybe it was just me, but if you have had any of these experiences, I just wanted to offer my best to you and let you know that it usually works out for the better - as cliche as that might sound.

As far as cards, they will be there when you get back and this board will do you a solid and let you know when we see stuff. I admire your collecting niche and think about young boy collecting cards and putting his stamp on them.

Stay strong and best of luck!

ValKehl
09-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Ed, I have long enjoyed reading about your most-interesting collecting pursuit. I am sorry to learn of your misfortune, but I have a feeling that you are the sort of person who will make lemonade out of this lemon of a situation - hope you land a better job, perhaps one where you are no longer "stuck in Omaha" (hope my stab at humor doesn't offend).
Val

tab
09-01-2017, 04:08 PM
I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen any new Howe cards posted lately. I just figured they were getting harder to find. Really enjoyed seeing you add to your collection, very unique. Best of luck to you. Hopefully you'll find something sooner than later.

clydepepper
09-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Ed - I has also been there too. Sometimes you have to get philosophical about things, but always in a positive light. Things will get better.

Since you, evidently have been on the board a lot longer than me, could you share exactly what your card targets are? I'm sure I don't have any but will glad to add my eyeballs to assist the search.

Hang in there and Good Luck,
Raymond

p.s.- I believe we can ALL say that, in spite of everything, we are doing better than a lot of folks in SE Texas...let's keep thinking about them.

tab
09-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Ed - I has also been there too. Sometimes you have to get philosophical about things, but always in a positive light. Things will get better.

Since you, evidently have been on the board a lot longer than me, could you share exactly what your card targets are? I'm sure I don't have any but will glad to add my eyeballs to assist the search.

Hang in there and Good Luck,
Raymond

p.s.- I believe we can ALL say that, in spite of everything, we are doing better than a lot of folks in SE Texas...let's keep thinking about them.

T206 with Howe McCormick stamped on the back

h2oya311
09-01-2017, 04:44 PM
best of luck Ed!

Best collecting focus on the board, by a long shot! Perhaps someone on the board can take the torch and collect these bad-boys for you for a while until you get your feet back on the ground. I'm not in a good position to do that (and rarely even look at a listed t206), so I'm not your guy. But perhaps there is someone here who could help build the collection in your absence.

Best regards,
Derek

aljurgela
09-01-2017, 05:29 PM
best of luck Ed!

Best collecting focus on the board, by a long shot! Perhaps someone on the board can take the torch and collect these bad-boys for you for a while until you get your feet back on the ground. I'm not in a good position to do that (and rarely even look at a listed t206), so I'm not your guy. But perhaps there is someone here who could help build the collection in your absence.

Best regards,
Derek

I like that idea (but also do not do those cards)

swarmee
09-01-2017, 05:48 PM
I will volunteer to be a clearinghouse for Howe McCormick stamped T206s. I have a bit in COMC and PayPal if any become available. Ed, just let me know if someone messages you about any that you'd like.

Bestdj777
09-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Keep your head up. I've had a number of friends go through the process and they always end up better off in the end. One door closes when another is meant to open. If you need help polishing your resume, shoot me a PM and I'm happy to take a look--just switched jobs this summer so pretty up on the process.

JeremyW
09-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Ed- I'm hoping you land on your feet sooner than later because your re-collection of the McCormick collection is an inspiration to all of us collector junkies.

WillowGrove
09-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Ed I remember when i sold you a McCormick card, i had a link to the website of the organization you were with and told you how impressed I was.

I hope you can find a new work home you enjoy. Good luck and hang in there.

Peter

7nohitter
09-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Best of luck, losing a job sucks and the search feels long and at times depressing, but you'll get back!

brian1961
09-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Ed, first, I am very, very sorry for your job loss, and the long months that have passed since. I went through this in 2009-10, and I sure understand.

May God help you and carry you at this time. Prayers sent your way that He'll open a door for you that either seems locked and dead-bolted, or an open door to something you haven't thought about as yet, and would come as a refreshing breeze to you, and remain so for years to come.

A strong brotherly hug to you, pal. ---Brian Powell

dougscats
09-02-2017, 01:25 PM
It stinks when life gets in the way of collecting.

Good luck, Ed.
This too shall pass, as my mother used to say.
In my own life I've found that, if you can hang in there, things often work out for the best.

There are many here who feel for you
and will be happy when you return.