PDA

View Full Version : Green Diamond

MrSeven
08-30-2017, 03:11 AM
Thoughts on this GD Williams ball? Just purchased it, but getting some fears about the son...

Ball markings place it around 1993 - 1994.

Duluth Eskimo
08-30-2017, 06:56 AM
It looks a little sloppy, but good.

mr2686
08-30-2017, 06:58 AM
It looks a little sloppy, but good.
Agreed.

MrSeven
08-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Was there ever a definitive answer if John Williams signed in lieu of Ted for these?

Mr. Zipper
08-31-2017, 06:35 AM
Was there ever a definitive answer if John Williams signed in lieu of Ted for these?

No. It's a myth that has been perpetuated, but I've never seen anyone produce an example of an alleged John Henry signed fake on a Green Diamond item.

At a show in the 90s, John Henry was boasting that he could sign for his father, and he signed Ted's signature on a scrap of paper. I have seen that signature on the scrap of paper and it looks like a poor forgery. It would not fool many.

I believe the myth sprang from the boast at the card show. Based on the example I have seen, I don't believe John Henry was able to skillfully replicate his father's signature.

Kco
08-31-2017, 09:23 AM
No. It's a myth that has been perpetuated, but I've never seen anyone produce an example of an alleged John Henry signed fake on a Green Diamond item.

At a show in the 90s, John Henry was boasting that he could sign for his father, and he signed Ted's signature on a scrap of paper. I have seen that signature on the scrap of paper and it looks like a poor forgery. It would not fool many.

I believe the myth sprang from the boast at the card show. Based on the example I have seen, I don't believe John Henry was able to skillfully replicate his father's signature.

That's the story I've heard as well. I've got a few Green Diamond Williams pieces and all are good.

mr2686
08-31-2017, 10:19 AM
John Henry must have been skillful enough to forge Ted's sig on the will. LOL

MrSeven
08-31-2017, 09:32 PM

I've seen some JSA & PSA authenticated Williams balls (Budig) from the late 1990s. The signature looks horrific, sloppy, etc. (probably a byproduct of the stroke). Sad, but makes me wonder about Williams authentications in general.