PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Ernie & Ted: To Grade or Not to Grade?

Jenx34
08-28-2017, 09:06 PM
This is for those that have PSA or SGC grade cards and submit some raw cards they buy. These cards are to be for sale. So my question is, based on their condition, do you think it is worth it to send them off to be graded? I have a voucher for 15 cards which I can include these or wait until the next submission special. For those that deal, primarily with PSA, how do you decide if a card is worth submitting?

What do you see the grade for these two being?

Lastly, my plan right now is to submit them, but a reasonable offer may just change my mind. So if there are any of you that prefer raw cards and these fit with what you collect, feel free to make me an offer and I will certainly consider it quickly. My plan is to have the submission ready to go Thurs or Fri.

Thank you for your input
Chris

Jayjones82
08-29-2017, 04:04 AM
I think you're probably looking at a PSA 3 (MC) on the Banks (value about $225) and a 2/2.5 on the Williams ($75-100; There looks to be a mark or indention right above a pinhole, but I can't really tell)

irv
08-29-2017, 04:37 AM
I agree with Jason's grades but with those cards, if anything, if they come back with those numbers, at least they will prove they are authentic, which will definitely make them more saleable.

Good luck.

Jenx34
08-29-2017, 09:17 AM
I think you're probably looking at a PSA 3 (MC) on the Banks (value about $225) and a 2/2.5 on the Williams ($75-100; There looks to be a mark or indention right above a pinhole, but I can't really tell)

I've struggled with that Williams. It looks to me like it is/was a pinhole, that maybe has been closed up? You can't see light through it, but the indentation and the marking on the back make me think that's what it was. Would the pinhole automatically make it a 1?

On the Banks, I've measured it and came up with .75 to 1 mm on the top and only 3 mm on the bottom border. At .75/3 that would make it 80/20, so it should qualify, no? Am I right that you measure from the top of the player's name at the top? I don't know exactly how PSA measures or if they have an automatic rule of less than 1 mm is a miscut?

Aquarian Sports Cards
08-29-2017, 10:49 AM
I disagree with the MC qualifier on the Banks, it has borders all the way around. I would definitely put it in the 2-3 range and I would grade it. The Williams is a 1 maybe 1.5 with the pin hole and the stain directly above it and probably not worth it.

Peter_Spaeth
08-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Banks is not miscut, just off center.

swarmee
08-29-2017, 02:33 PM
I agree with a 2-3 on the Banks. Worth grading. I would bet the Williams gets an Altered based on the filled in pinhole. Better to sell that one raw.