PDA

View Full Version : Calling T206 Scrap Experts, Please! :]

njdunkin1
08-24-2017, 04:44 PM
Found this little fella via auction. Borders looked swisspiciously wavy to me and the coloring looks off. What do you fine folks think? Possible scrappage?
High regards,
NJ
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170824/c106960d2ef3df0ed8db33c1f2e685f1.jpg

vintagetoppsguy
08-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Not scrap.

Gradedcardman
08-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Looks hand cut and faded. Not missing enough color to call scrap in my opinion.

Johnny V ????????????????????????

mrvster
08-24-2017, 07:00 PM
great question! some of these " in betweeners" or "tweener" scraps fly under the radar....

scrap??? possibly, but not likely.....

tell tale signs:

your card has the classic hand cut and an absolute necessity to be scrap..., but "undersized"...

color is off a bit, but more likely faded in this case....

if this card had an off register, ghost, missing a pass or two, oversized(oversized or extremely odd cut greater than standard is the key), or a more drastic "error" that usually trigged a sheet to become a "scrap" or defect due to the gross/dramatic errors on these types of cards...

verdict:

potential"tweener" scrap, but more likely a hand-cut , faded 206....:)

please keep hunting!! you are looking for the right cards;)

Sean
08-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Definitely hand cut. Is it in an SGC holder? If so, I assume that they gave it an Authentic grade.

bnorth
08-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Definitely hand cut. Is it in an SGC holder? If so, I assume that they gave it an Authentic grade.

Yes it is in a SGC A slab and at the price he paid it is still a decent pick up.

steve B
08-25-2017, 09:37 PM
great question! some of these " in betweeners" or "tweener" scraps fly under the radar....

tell tale signs:

your card has the classic hand cut and an absolute necessity to be scrap..., but "undersized"...

if this card had an off register, ghost, missing a pass or two, oversized(oversized or extremely odd cut greater than standard is the key), or a more drastic "error" that usually trigged a sheet to become a "scrap" or defect due to the gross/dramatic errors on these types of cards...

verdict:

But it does seem to be missing passes. Pink, light blue, maybe gray. That's a lot of fading especially with red still looking ok.

Steve B

mrvster
08-25-2017, 10:07 PM
maybe missing a pass or two.....helps the "tweener" spot:)

Luke
08-26-2017, 12:03 AM
Nice pickup NJ! I think it's most likely scrap. Good point by Johnny about the skinny borders, but just because a card was cut from a sheet doesn't necessarily mean the cutter would choose to give it big borders.

This Collins would just be labeled trimmed if it wasn't for the blank back giving away the fact it is scrap:

Gradedcardman
08-26-2017, 07:32 AM

tell tale signs:

verdict:

+1

Jantz
08-26-2017, 07:45 PM
But it does seem to be missing passes. Pink, light blue, maybe gray. That's a lot of fading especially with red still looking ok.

Steve B

+1

I looked at the seller's scan in the auction, which is a clearer picture than NJ's and compared it to another standard Ferguson.

Appears to me that two passes of shading (gray) are absent on Ferguson's uniform.

I have no problem with the thin borders either.

Jantz

mrvster
08-27-2017, 09:39 AM
it is harder to label a card "scrap" without the "fat" borders....they are the "give away" tell tale sign.....

more subtle errors and the "thin" borders put them in that "tweener" category...

as you have a very good inkling they are scrap, but can't be 100 % confirmed...

as a great example with luke, that "skinny" border scrap , a 100 % scrap since it has the blank back.....

I could bore you guys all day with examples, but I think you get the gist of it...

like a treasure hint

find Waldo:D

Leon
08-31-2017, 04:52 PM
Nice pickup NJ! I think it's most likely scrap. Good point by Johnny about the skinny borders, but just because a card was cut from a sheet doesn't necessarily mean the cutter would choose to give it big borders.

This Collins would just be labeled trimmed if it wasn't for the blank back giving away the fact it is scrap:

kewl card...