PDA

View Full Version : Question on a Goodwin lot

effe
08-23-2017, 03:43 PM
Is it conceivable they'd use an International League ball for the ceremonial first pitch in a World Series game?

http://goodwinandco.com/1957_Autographed_Baseball_Signed_By_Mantle__Stenge-LOT36425.aspx

ooo-ribay
08-23-2017, 06:03 PM
I don't think they're saying this was the ball thrown. I think they're saying Joe Louis signed it and also threw out the ceremonial first pitch, but with another ball.

Bestdj777
08-23-2017, 06:35 PM
I don't think they're saying this was the ball thrown. I think they're saying Joe Louis signed it and also threw out the ceremonial first pitch, but with another ball.

The description says it was retrieved and signed, suggesting to me at least that this is supposedly that ball.

ooo-ribay
08-23-2017, 06:53 PM
The description says it was retrieved and signed, suggesting to me at least that this is supposedly that ball.

I totally believe you but I'll be damned if I see that info. :confused:

Bestdj777
08-23-2017, 07:42 PM
I totally believe you but I'll be damned if I see that info. :confused:

The third sentence of the following description (accessing on my phone so it's possible there is a different description for their mobile site):

"This marvelous relic from the Braves 1957 World Championship season carries special significance because of the signature of Joe Louis on the ball. Louis was honored prior to the game and threw out the ceremonial first pitch. The ball was retrieved and signed by Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Whitey Ford, Casey Stengel, Eddie Mathews, Red Schoendienst and seven others. This wonderful piece of history is truly a one-of-a-kind and worthy of prominent display."

ooo-ribay
08-24-2017, 05:26 AM
The third sentence of the following description (accessing on my phone so it's possible there is a different description for their mobile site):

"This marvelous relic from the Braves 1957 World Championship season carries special significance because of the signature of Joe Louis on the ball. Louis was honored prior to the game and threw out the ceremonial first pitch. The ball was retrieved and signed by Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Whitey Ford, Casey Stengel, Eddie Mathews, Red Schoendienst and seven others. This wonderful piece of history is truly a one-of-a-kind and worthy of prominent display."

Aha! I had to click on a "+" to get the description.

Back to the original question, it does seem very strange that they would use an International League ball. Is it possible? I don't know but it would be a red flag if I were considering bidding. Then again, I'm not sure how much the story, if accurate, adds to the value.

Klrdds
08-24-2017, 06:31 AM
FWIW I would not bid on it . There are too many questions in my mind about this baseball including the story . Also note the LOA from the often mistaken and incorrect JSA is not for this ball but an autographed N Y Giants baseball.