PDA

View Full Version : T204 Ramly Blank Back - Waddya Know?

wondo
08-21-2017, 02:46 PM
I picked this up in Love of the Game auctions for $168.55 all in. Seems like a very reasonable price for a kind of oddity. There was mention that the blank banks have a correlation to the Square borders cards in the series. What exactly do I have here; what info does the esteemed board have or where can you point me please?

Thanks,

john

packs
08-21-2017, 02:53 PM
It's a regular variation. The others are Ramly and TTT.

sb1
08-21-2017, 03:28 PM
The six square frame players, also come blank backed. As has been covered before these six people held special prominence in the Worcester/Boston area. While it's generally accepted the square frames were a special print for some tribute to them, it's possible the blank backs were as well. Further the blank backs, can be found with and without the glossy coating on the front.

To further muddy or clear the water, once in a while a player will show up blank back that is not part of the six square frame subjects. These are cards that began life as two part cards(which a very small amount of T204's population) before going to a solid stock. The cards were either soaked apart or came apart due to storage in damp or high humidity over the decades. At one time the legit blank backs brought a decent premium, over a regular Ramly back, now they still bring a small premium but not as much as in the past.

The six Square frame subjects below, all of which are blank backed, you will not find one of these with a Ramly or T.T.T. back.

Leon
08-21-2017, 04:23 PM
The six square frame players, also come blank backed. As has been covered before these six people held special prominence in the Worcester/Boston area. While it's generally accepted the square frames were a special print for some tribute to them, it's possible the blank backs were as well. Further the blank backs, can be found with and without the glossy coating on the front.

To further muddy or clear the water, once in a while a player will show up blank back that is not part of the six square frame subjects. These are cards that began life as two part cards(which a very small amount of T204's population) before going to a solid stock. The cards were either soaked apart or came apart due to storage in damp or high humidity over the decades. At one time the legit blank backs brought a decent premium, over a regular Ramly back, now they still bring a small premium but not as much as in the past.

The six Square frame subjects below, all of which are blank backed, you will not find one of these with a Ramly or T.T.T. back.

For me, T204 and T205 have always been at or near the top for my favorite, aesthetically pleasing cards. Those particular square frames are great looking for the series too. Sweetness....

Bobsbats
08-21-2017, 09:09 PM

It's funny, I have a Burkett T204 that is a blank backed card, and on very thin stock. It wasn't until your post that I realized what happened or how that came to be. I've always thought it to be skinned, but now I'm thrilled to learn its not the case. Much Appreciated for the info!

Bob

bcornell
08-21-2017, 09:22 PM
There was an informative <a href="http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89807">2008 thread</a> on the topic of T204's. Peter Thomas proposed a theory that the 6 players with square border cards were also issued with blank backs at the same time as a type of A/B test for Ramly. We don't know if that's the case, but it's plausible.

I'd be skeptical that any blank back of a player other than the known 6 isn't skinned. There was a <a href="http://loveofthegameauctions.com/lot-3007.aspx">Freeman card</a> in a 2014 LOTG auction that's an example of this (SGC graded it, but probably shouldn't have).

Those 6 players (Anderson, Bancroft, Bransfield, Burkett, Dinneen, Moran) are also the easiest 'normal' Ramlys to find, btw.

Bill

philliesphan
08-22-2017, 01:36 AM
Scott-

What is Bransfield's association with the Boston area?

Thank you so much for your very informative post

m

sb1
08-22-2017, 06:14 AM
The connections of each subject

Anderson grew up in Worcester, MA
Bransfield was born in Worcester, MA.
Burkett Managed the Worcester Busters team
Bancroft Managed the Worcester Ruby Red Legs
Dineen played for both Boston Major League teams 1900-1907
Moran was born and grew up in nearby Fitchburg, MA

wondo
08-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Thank you, folks, for the information. I'm assuming since I got this piece in a major auction that the price is fair market value? Seems like a cool pick up - glad I have it.

The 2008 posts are very informative - again, cool stuff. Thanks.

John

Bobsbats
11-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Very informative thread for me. Thank you for all of the knowledge etc.
It certainly eased my mind regarding the Ramly Burkett.

ValKehl
11-12-2017, 09:00 PM
I have consigned my blank-backed T204 of Bransfield to the current LOTG auction. Don't hesitate to bid often and high on it! (Leon, sorry, but I couldn't resist!):
https://loveofthegameauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=13804