PDA

View Full Version : Christie's Baseball Auction Closing Procedures

Snapolit1
08-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Lots close on an individual basis, pursuant to a 3 minute rule.

Mmmmm. Somehow the world's largest auction house, which does probably more than 8 billion a year in revenue, hasn't gotten the memo that they should keep their entire auction open until 6am to catch the spirited bidding that takes place in the wee hours and nowhere else.

Does anyone think Christie's has less information on how to run an auction to maximize values than your typical baseball memorabilia AH?

Seems pretty simple no?

17. When do lots close?

A countdown clock is displayed for each lot on the lot description page. In order to achieve the best possible results in our online-only sales and to make the bidding process as fair and manageable as possible for all prospective bidders, Christie’s has implemented lot bidding extensions. Where there is bidding activity on a particular lot within 3 minutes (180 seconds) prior to the lot's allocated closing time, there will be a 3 minute bidding extension on that lot until only one bidder remains. These extensions will continue indefinitely until there is no more bidding activity on the lot for a period of 3 minutes (180 seconds) implying that there is no further interest. This extra time is designed to accommodate interested bidders and allow them the time to compete for a lot until their ceiling has been reached. This is also designed to avoid the last-minute rush where bidders log onto Christie’s at the end of the online-only sale in an effort to leave a single winning bid seconds before the sale's closing time. This is called sniping and is considered unfair practice to both buyers and sellers and the lot bidding extension has been designed to avoid this. Please note that the extension of one lot’s closing time does not affect other lots’ closing times; therefore it is possible that lots will close out of numerical lot order.

Stonepony
08-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Why don't you call Al at LOTG rather than posting another snide post directed at his auction format. He's very accessible and his phone # and email or at his website.

Bicem
08-16-2017, 03:15 PM
To be fair, I wouldn't use Christie's as the model for all AH's to follow. Closing lots during the morning on weekdays, 25% BP, outrageous shipping, leaving out vital details in the descriptions, selling type 2 photos as originals, etc.

gnaz01
08-16-2017, 03:16 PM

Mmmmm. Somehow the world's largest auction house, which does probably more than 8 billion a year in revenue, hasn't gotten the memo that they should keep their entire auction open until 6pm to catch the spirited bidding that takes place in the wee hours and nowhere else.

Does anyone think Christie's has less information on how to run an auction to maximize values than your typical baseball memorabilia AH?

Seems pretty simple no?

17. When do lots close?

A countdown clock is displayed for each lot on the lot description page. In order to achieve the best possible results in our online-only sales and to make the bidding process as fair and manageable as possible for all prospective bidders, Christie’s has implemented lot bidding extensions. Where there is bidding activity on a particular lot within 3 minutes (180 seconds) prior to the lot's allocated closing time, there will be a 3 minute bidding extension on that lot until only one bidder remains. These extensions will continue indefinitely until there is no more bidding activity on the lot for a period of 3 minutes (180 seconds) implying that there is no further interest. This extra time is designed to accommodate interested bidders and allow them the time to compete for a lot until their ceiling has been reached. This is also designed to avoid the last-minute rush where bidders log onto Christie’s at the end of the online-only sale in an effort to leave a single winning bid seconds before the sale's closing time. This is called sniping and is considered unfair practice to both buyers and sellers and the lot bidding extension has been designed to avoid this. Please note that the extension of one lot’s closing time does not affect other lots’ closing times; therefore it is possible that lots will close out of numerical lot order.

I don't think keeping an auction open until 6pm catches the "wee hours" :D Sorry, just being a smart a$$

GaryPassamonte
08-16-2017, 03:30 PM
As a retired buyer that lives in NYS who is only interested in one lot, I like the format. I don't like the BP or the shipping costs, but I just factor that into my lot cost.

Snapolit1
08-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Why don't you call Al at LOTG rather than posting another snide post directed at his auction format. He's very accessible and his phone # and email or at his website.

Not directed at anyone. Three auctions closed last week. And we go through this charade with nearly all of them. Craziness.

And I will take a wild guess that I have given Al more business in the last 6 months as both a consignor and bidder than you have. So spare me the sanctimonious ass kissing.

gnaz01
08-16-2017, 04:01 PM
outrageous shipping.

I did notice that, on one flat item shipping was $164??? :eek::eek:

RedsFan1941
08-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Well, they're the biggest auction house in the universe, so shipping charge has to be right.

Snapolit1
08-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Most of the items in Christies will sell for over $5000. Many over $20,000. They are not PWCC. They are shipping museum pieces, not Gregg Jeffries refractor cards.

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but if $164 is a big issue you are not probably bidding in their auction.

Snapolit1
08-16-2017, 04:25 PM
This isn't shipping for $12.99. Hate to break the news.

gnaz01
08-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but if $164 is a big issue you are not probably bidding in their auction.

Seriously??? No, $164 isn't a big issue, however, to ship a 4x5 inch photo that "may" sell for $2,000 (I know, if 2 people get into a pissing match it will garner more) FedEx does NOT cost this. I can get a plane ticket there and back to pick it up in person cheaper, so please.........

RedsFan1941
08-16-2017, 04:56 PM
exactly

CrackaJackKid
08-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Maybe use all that extra money to purchase some common sense.

barrysloate
08-16-2017, 05:14 PM
The BP is 25%, and since I'm a New Yorker with sales tax that adds about 34% to each of my lots. Have to bid accordingly. At least I can pick up in person, because their shipping is through the roof.

Vintageclout
08-16-2017, 05:33 PM
To be fair, I wouldn't use Christie's as the model for all AH's to follow. Closing lots during the morning on weekdays, 25% BP, outrageous shipping, leaving out vital details in the descriptions, selling type 2 photos as originals, etc.

+1 Jeff!

Kingcobb
08-16-2017, 05:42 PM
I don't get the shipping charges. They are saying $143.00 shipping for a graded $500 Cracker Jack card is this correct or am I missing something?

Snapolit1
08-16-2017, 06:20 PM
I don't get the shipping charges. They are saying $143.00 shipping for a graded $500 Cracker Jack card is this correct or am I missing something?

Their shipping costs are very high. That's because they are an art auction that once every couple of years sells baseball stuff. So you are paying for what the worlds top art house usually charges. In some cases its total overkill and absurd and in many cases it's absolutely required.

I bought this last year. $165 was a gift for shipping.

barrysloate
08-16-2017, 06:22 PM
My initial bids are getting topped and I am not receiving any outbid notices. I guess you have to stay on top of this one.

bigfish
08-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Mmmmm. Somehow the world's largest auction house, which does probably more than 8 billion a year in revenue, hasn't gotten the memo that they should keep their entire auction open until 6am to catch the spirited bidding that takes place in the wee hours and nowhere else.

Seems pretty simple no?

17. When do lots close?

I think this auction house is doing just fine. If you don't like their rules I guess you can decide not to bid? Or you can become a consultant for them. Objective- to improve their business practices. Either way I hope you have a cheerful rest of the week.

Cheers

Snapolit1
08-16-2017, 06:32 PM
My initial bids are getting topped and I am not receiving any outbid notices. I guess you have to stay on top of this one.

You should look into that. I am.

Bicem
08-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Christie's shipping is outrageous regardless if you can afford it or not. $500+ in multiple instances for $20k worth of winnings.

I've shipped $20k items before and shipping was a fraction of that. Hopefully this year is better.

Snapolit1
08-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Christie's shipping is outrageous regardless if you can afford it or not. $500+ in multiple instances for $20k worth of winnings.

I've shipped $20k items before and shipping was a fraction of that. Hopefully this year is better.

In some cases it is. But I guess they are not going to calculate it based on every package. Not saying its right but it is what it is.

200 for a large rare cabinet picture doesn't strike me as outrageous. If someone spends $20,000 on a piece, I doubt they will complain over a $300 shipping job that is highly professional akin to what fine artwork receives. (But many people who weren't going to buy anything anyway under any circumstances will complain and be mortally outraged.)

Bicem
08-16-2017, 07:16 PM
I have a bigger issue with selling the type 2 photos as originals. I don't think they were trying to deceive, they just didn't know any better. Be careful this year everyone.

Snapolit1
08-16-2017, 07:19 PM
But they don't represent types on photos, do they? Was just looking for that.

Topnotchsy
08-16-2017, 07:34 PM
The BP is 25%, and since I'm a New Yorker with sales tax that adds about 34% to each of my lots. Have to bid accordingly. At least I can pick up in person, because their shipping is through the roof.

That was the difference between winning and losing the item I bid on last year. (Can't say this for certain obviously since I don't know the winner's max, but my bid was higher than his all inclusive with tax...

Bicem
08-16-2017, 07:49 PM
But they don't represent types on photos, do they? Was just looking for that.

I guess technically they don't.

prestigecollectibles
08-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Where do you see shipping listed? I clicked on Estimated Cost Calculator on numerous lots and they all say. Estimated Shipping TBC

BeanTown
08-16-2017, 11:50 PM

Hey Barry,

Most of mine have got topped and I did relieve the outbid email. Check your junk folder. On a side note, You may want to do some pickups for Net54 winners and do a reasonable markup which will have to include the 9% NY tax.

barrysloate
08-17-2017, 04:03 AM
Thanks JC, I'll check my spam. I'm not sure I want to get into the shipping business, and some of the lots are really large. I take the subway into the city, and there is only so much I can carry home with me.

Leon
08-17-2017, 05:43 AM

They should really mention if they are type 2s. Fortunately, nothing I have to have in this auction.

MVSNYC
08-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Barry...Uber.

:)

PS- I don't buy that logic- Well, if you buy a $20,000 item you can afford $500 in shipping, or they package items so professionally, etc...

Al does some of the best packaging in the business and it's very inexpensive...or look at REA- free shipping!

barrysloate
08-17-2017, 06:07 AM
I'm a subway guy Michael.:o

scooter729
08-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Where do you see shipping listed? I clicked on Estimated Cost Calculator on numerous lots and they all say. Estimated Shipping TBC

Once I was logged in and registered, then the Cost Calculator worked to show the outrageous shipping amounts instead of just 'TBC'.....

JamesGallo
08-17-2017, 07:07 AM
I didn't even know they still did sports auctions so there is that.

Those cracker jacks look really clean is there a story with these or thoughts they have been bleached?

I was involved with a auction Sotheby's did a year or so ago and the shipping was a massive issue there as well. These companies just dont know how to ship cheaply.

They sold a Simpsons tin garbage pail for $250 and wanted to charge 350 to ship it. Its pretty dumb imo and hurts the auction prices but i dont see any way around it beyond picking the stuff up in person.

I think these big two auction houses have once again taken notice of the pop culture side of things getting back to some of the type of things they did in the 1990s.

James G

Snapolit1
08-17-2017, 07:25 AM
If I paid $20,000 for a panorama from 1910, I'd be happy to pay for a top notch shipping job. For a garbage can, not so much.

Bought 2 items last year from Christies and the shipping was far far better than any auction house. Not even in the same ballpark. And I was happy. It's easy to drop a card in a small box with bubble wrap. Not so easy to ship a large rare artifact.

Those cracker jacks look really clean is there a story with these or thoughts they have been bleached?

I was involved with a auction Sotheby's did a year or so ago and the shipping was a massive issue there as well. These companies just dont know how to ship cheaply.

They sold a Simpsons tin garbage pail for $250 and wanted to charge 350 to ship it. Its pretty dumb imo and hurts the auction prices but i dont see any way around it beyond picking the stuff up in person.

I think these big two auction houses have once again taken notice of the pop culture side of things getting back to some of the type of things they did in the 1990s.

James G

scooter729
08-17-2017, 07:37 AM
It's easy to drop a card in a small box with bubble wrap. Not so easy to ship a large rare artifact.

And that's the problem many will have with this. They're basically charging the same $150+ shipping price for a 1915 Cracker Jack card that will sell for under $1,000, as they are for that $20K large rare artifact.

A little adjustment based on size and price would go a long way. For me, it just means I'll bid less on the items based on what I know will be charged for shipping.

scooter729
08-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Also, should I assume they will not combine shipping if you win more than one lot? Do I get nailed the $150 for each item?

markf31
08-17-2017, 07:44 AM
UPS in New York actually offers an auction house pickup and shipping service for the high end auction houses. On the shipping form for Christies you can authorize the pickup of your item by a third party shipping company.

From the UPS website:
Auction House Pickup
We pickup from Christie's, Sotheby's, Bonham's, and other auction houses to provide a cost effective and secure alternative to auction house in house shipping. We will pickup your fragile, high value items provide a customized packaging solution and deliver the items guaranteed safely anywhere in the world. Call us for a free quote.

https://newyork-ny-4766.theupsstorelocal.com/products--services/pack--ship

For many of the items in the baseball auction such as photographs, cards, documents, etc I bet that choosing this method would probably save you a considerable sum.

jcc6252
08-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Also, should I assume they will not combine shipping if you win more than one lot? Do I get nailed the $150 for each item?

Scott, I just spoke with them on the phone, and they DO NOT provide combined shipping savings. They actually send each item out in its own package.

RedsFan1941
08-17-2017, 08:06 AM
And that's the problem many will have with this. They're basically charging the same $150+ shipping price for a 1915 Cracker Jack card that will sell for under $1,000, as they are for that $20K large rare artifact.

That's the point numerous people in this thread have made. "Most" everyone gets it.

scooter729
08-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Scott, I just spoke with them on the phone, and they DO NOT provide combined shipping savings. They actually send each item out in its own package.

Thanks for the information - and great idea in Mark's comment above about using UPS as a 3rd party shipping alternative. Certainly could save a few bucks if you pick up a couple of items!

Snapolit1
08-17-2017, 08:13 AM
That's the point numerous people in this thread have made. "Most" everyone gets it.

If anyone buys one of the cheaper smaller items I will be happy to ship it to you for cost of priority mail. I already indicated to them that I will pick up in person anything I "win". Can't do for something large that will not be east to repack and ship. Card or small photo no problem.

Keep it in mind. Leon and others can vouch that I may be loud and opinionated but I 'm an honest broker and have done countless deals on the board. Would be happy to save some a few hundred bucks.

Baseball Rarities
08-17-2017, 08:38 AM

James G

AFAIK, all of the items in these last two auctions for Christie's have been from a single owner. I am not sure how much, if any, of his collection is left, but I do not think that Christie's will be doing any more sports memorabilia sales when they are finished with it.

BeanTown
08-17-2017, 12:09 PM
AFAIK, all of the items in these last two auctions for Christie's have been from a single owner. I am not sure how much, if any, of his collection is left, but I do not think that Christie's will be doing any more sports memorabilia sales when they are finished with it.

Did anyone notice there are duplicate lots in this auction which were sold during the live auction? Plus some of the lots Christies owns and some lots are privately owned. I was outbid on lots during their live auction and now they are back up for the Enet auction???? Wonder what happened there?!?!

Baseball Rarities
08-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Did anyone notice there are duplicate lots in this auction which were sold during the live auction? Plus some of the lots Christies owns and some lots are privately owned. I was outbid on lots during their live auction and now they are back up for the Enet auction???? Wonder what happened there?!?!

I believe that a few of the bidders reneged on their bids, so they are running those items again.

h2oya311
08-17-2017, 12:38 PM
If anyone buys one of the cheaper smaller items I will be happy to ship it to you for cost of priority mail. I already indicated to them that I will pick up in person anything I "win". Can't do for something large that will not be east to repack and ship. Card or small photo no problem.

Keep it in mind. Leon and others can vouch that I may be loud and opinionated but I 'm an honest broker and have done countless deals on the board. Would be happy to save some a few hundred bucks.

FWIW, if you pick it up for someone else, the buyer will have to pay the NY state sales tax. In some cases, shipping may actually be more cost effective than paying the NY state sales tax. For the smaller/lower cost items though, this could make sense.

Kawika
08-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Almost too much hassle to even bother with but, Holy Jeez, there are some terrific items that I would love to have a shot at.

gnaz01
08-17-2017, 01:45 PM

Hey Kevin, I know of at least one item at Christies that was purchased in the most recent REA auction.

Baseball Rarities
08-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Hey Kevin, I know of at least one item at Christies that was purchased in the most recent REA auction.

Greg - Wow that is really interesting. Totally opposite of what I was told. What lot is it? PM or email me if you want.

prewarsports
08-17-2017, 02:09 PM
The balance of the photography (what was not sent to Christies) has been and will continue to be offered through RMY Auctions. We began running photos from this collection at the start of the year and will be running items throughout most of 2018.

brianp-beme
08-17-2017, 04:26 PM
I believe that a few of the bidders reneged on their bids, so they are running those items again.

Probably due to unexpected high shipping charges.

Brian

BeanTown
08-17-2017, 05:30 PM

+1. Christies rarely has Sport Auctions. Would like to know how they pre qualify bidders and then what limit they allow new bidders and bidders who have never done business with them to have.

NATCARD
08-17-2017, 05:40 PM
I registered today. instant approval. Do not see credit limit in my account anywhere.

WillowGrove
08-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Christie's posted in some lots that 'this item is from a private collector', or language to that effect.

prestigecollectibles
08-18-2017, 12:01 PM
I contacted Christie's about shipping and got this response.

Please be advised that Christie’s offers bespoke shipping for all purchased lots. The costs are inclusive of the handling, packaging, and shipping by fine art handlers.

Estimated $1786.42 shipping for a lot of 96 photos.

Bicem
08-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Sounds about right.

LOUCARDFAN
08-18-2017, 12:12 PM
I would be very unhappy if I was the consigner on this auction because those S&H charges are definitely costing the consigner a considerable amount of money.

Snapolit1
08-18-2017, 12:22 PM
I would urge everyone on the board to ignore this auction. I implore you. This is an outrage. Let's show these guys we're serious.

Snapolit1
08-18-2017, 12:24 PM
I would be very unhappy if I was the consigner on this auction because those S&H charges are definitely costing the consigner a considerable amount of money.

Agree. Last years auction looked like a disaster. Stay away.

BeanTown
08-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Agree. Last years auction looked like a disaster. Stay away.

Many of last years auction items can now be found in this years Enet auction. Proceed with caution as I think Christies can't wait to get this last Sports auction done. They will most likely just send the stuff that didn't meet reserve or didn't receive a payment on to another auction house in the sports market.