PDA

View Full Version : $500 to spend on memorabilia...asking for advice

zupster
08-13-2017, 03:06 PM
I am new to this forum but have been on blowout a longtime and members there suggested I join here and ask for advice. I have a friend who wants to invest in some sports memorabilia as an investment, he is very well off and I have tons of Red Sox memorabilia and sigs (about 20 Williams pieces) so he asked me to help. He is looking to spend about 80 % ($4000) on "safe" investments and 20%($1000) on more risky stuff. As far as newer guys I was thinking Brady, Jeter. etc... I know the companies to use as far as authentication that way but wondering the opinion of members on here as far as if you had $5000 to spend on memorabilia, what would you do? He is from the Baltimore area but other than maybe Unitas I couldnt think of others from the area that may be a good investment. He is just looking for some nice stuff to display and hopefully make a little money on down the road. Thanks in advance for any advice, will update thread as we move forward

David Atkatz
08-13-2017, 04:10 PM
No contemporary, manufactured, memorabilia will appreciate in the long term. There's way too much of it.

If he's so well off, why is he investing $5k? Even if he doubles his money in a few years--which he won't--big deal.

Duluth Eskimo
08-13-2017, 05:13 PM
One name, Babe Ruth

zupster
08-13-2017, 05:24 PM
have seen some ruth balls in lesser condition that were all certified by jsa or psa/dna...i mostly deal in modern stuff so was wondering if one or the other is generally viewed as better certification on older stuff? if something is authenticated by psa but given a grade of 3 or 4 (auto ball) is it worth buying at that grade? obviously i know that a higher grade also means a higher price but how are lower grades seen? thanks

Fballguy
08-13-2017, 07:50 PM
He should take the 5K and invest in a good computer so he can do the research (and/or ask the question) himself.

In all seriousness...If he's looking for cool display pieces, great. But to approach this for it's investment potential...with a stake of only 5K no less...He might as well go by scratch tickets.

mr2686
08-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Rule number 1: Collect what you love and don't count on it as an investment or you'll end up disappointed.
Rule number 2: See Rule number 1.

thekingofclout
08-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Rule number 1: Collect what you love and don't count on it as an investment or you'll end up disappointed.

Spot on, Mike!

btcarfagno
08-14-2017, 07:11 AM
have seen some ruth balls in lesser condition that were all certified by jsa or psa/dna...i mostly deal in modern stuff so was wondering if one or the other is generally viewed as better certification on older stuff? if something is authenticated by psa but given a grade of 3 or 4 (auto ball) is it worth buying at that grade? obviously i know that a higher grade also means a higher price but how are lower grades seen? thanks

Also forget about "grades" for autographed items. Baseballs can degrade or yellow over even a short span of time. Autographs can fade over time. A graded autograph is completely pointless. Authenticated sure no problem. But graded? No.

Tom C

Topnotchsy
08-14-2017, 07:35 AM
if he picks items whose provenance is tight, is of a player(s) who will likely remain a focus for collectors and he picks nice looking items that are pretty normal items to collect, he should be fine. Will he make a lot of money? There's no guarantees.

Autographs of guys like Ruth, Gehrig, Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente etc fit that. Signed baseballs are pretty standard items though a picture, book or other option may be cheaper.

Personally I prefer items that have a historical component to them as well (like items tied to jackie robinson and the integration or ties to WWII). I do think that besides for my personal interest, they have cross market appeal to non-sports collectors and should sustain value but of course if there is a premium there it may already be built into the price.

If I was spending 5k some items I'd consider:
- 1947 Dodgers team signed baseball
- nice Ruth or Gehrig autograph

If he wants to really speculate, find something of an early player who he thinks the Veterans committee may vote into the HOF.

bbcard1
08-14-2017, 07:40 AM
I think a nice Jackie Robinson, while not speculative, would be a nice centerpiece and still has room to grow.

Sheer speculation? I'd go after some MMA fighters stuff, basically the pioneers of MMA. It has a rabid following that is global.

Snapolit1
08-14-2017, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't blow it on a Ruth autograph. Ruth autos are all over the place. The really high end ones may have investment value but they are a lot higher than 5K.

packs
08-14-2017, 08:20 AM
Buy Mike Trout now, sit on it, profit later.

Snapolit1
08-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Buy Mike Trout now, sit on it, profit later.

Can't agree. I think Trout will end up by far with the largest number of refractors cards, blue refractor cards, red auto refractor cards, blue and red refractor cards, ad infinitum in the history of the hobby. Clean up someday by collecting something no one is smart enough to collect, not by collecting the thing everyone and his brother is hoarding.

I went to a card story down in south Jersey and half the room was Trout cards.

packs
08-14-2017, 09:18 AM
I don't think anyone is talking about cards. I'm talking about memorabilia: game used bats, jerseys, hats, etc. High end HOF materials go for crazy money and Trout will surely be at the highest end of the HOF with the career he is likely to have.

Forever Young
08-14-2017, 10:04 AM
I don't think anyone is talking about cards. I'm talking about memorabilia: game used bats, jerseys, hats, etc. High end HOF materials go for crazy money and Trout will surely be at the highest end of the HOF with the career he is likely to have.

Do you think Trout bats will then appreciate? They are already pretty pricy.

packs
08-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Look how much Mantle bats with iron clad provenance sell for. I think Trout will be in the upper of upper echelons when he retires and all of his material can be had with MLB holograms vs. a story you must believe.

Topnotchsy
08-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Look how much Mantle bats with iron clad provenance sell for. I think Trout will be in the upper of upper echelons when he retires and all of his material can be had with MLB holograms vs. a story you must believe.

There are 3 major differences between Trout and Mantle that I can think of:

1) Mantle played at a time when people did not assume that everything connected to him would be worth a lot of money. Because of this, they did not save every single bat, every batting glove, every jersey, every toenail clipping. They do for Trout. The quantity of Trout related items will likely be 1000x more than Mantle by the time he retires.

2) Mantle played in NY on the Yankees at a time when baseball was #1 among sports, and maybe among all forms of entertainment. Today there are so many more forms of entertainment that grab people's attention. Trout has been Mantle-esque to this point (maybe even better season-by-season) but he will never be as big a star.

3) Mantle's career is done. While Trout is absolutely on his way to being an inner-circle Hall of Famer, there is still the chance that something happens to curtail that. It is awful to consider anything really bad happening, but if Trout's career ended now, his memorabilia would drop to a small percentage of their current value, which means for someone who is looking to pick something up as a safe investment, Trout can be pretty risky. Even if he keeps playing another 10-12 seasons but is like Griffey and the second half of his career is much more average, his stuff will drop in value.

packs
08-14-2017, 10:47 AM
I didn't say they were the same thing and my point about Mantle's item was that you're taking a giant leap of faith by accepting the story behind an item vs. buying something guaranteed and authenticated by MLB in Trout. I used Mantle as an example because many people have said for years that Trout could be the next Mantle or compared their numbers as Trout's career has played out. Mantle is also at the top of the HOF tier where items are the most expensive, which is where I think Trout will end up.

If you buy something now before someone is a HOFer, and that person becomes one of the greatest players of all time later, it would stand to reason that the item would inflate. Then inflate again as induction came up. That's when you sell.

Topnotchsy
08-14-2017, 04:29 PM
I didn't say they were the same thing and my point about Mantle's item was that you're taking a giant leap of faith by accepting the story behind an item vs. buying something guaranteed and authenticated by MLB in Trout. I used Mantle as an example because many people have said for years that Trout could be the next Mantle or compared their numbers as Trout's career has played out. Mantle is also at the top of the HOF tier where items are the most expensive, which is where I think Trout will end up.

If you buy something now before someone is a HOFer, and that person becomes one of the greatest players of all time later, it would stand to reason that the item would inflate. Then inflate again as induction came up. That's when you sell.

I'm not sure I agree with this on 2 accounts:

1) I don't think the provenance really matters much to be honest. When it comes to collectors of Mickey Mantle, almost all the options have at best 3rd party provenance. Collectors don't have the choice to pursue anything else, and so they compete over what is available. For Trout, given the way MLB now authenticates things, that has become the new standard. The bar is now higher, but the basic laws of supply and demand don't change. I could be wrong but I think there are probably very few collectors who want to collect Mantle but don't because of the provenance. If this is the case, I don't see prices being affected much.

2) Regarding prices increasing, once again I am not sure that this will be the case. The assumption needs to be that throughout Trout's career, the demand will continue to rise faster than the supply increases, and I am not sure that that can be expected with the way MLB pumps out memorabilia. It is definitely possible, but if Trout plays another 15 seasons and has 600 plate appearances in each, we will likely hundreds of jerseys, thousands of bats, and possibly a million autographs of his on the market.

packs
08-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Maybe, but he doesn't have a company like Steiner behind him. I'm not so sure there will be a diluted market. His items sell for big money already and he's not on a short-term hype like say Kris Bryant was when the Cubs went to the World Series. He's a stable investment in my opinion and his career is only beginning.

David Atkatz
08-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Look how much Mantle bats with iron clad provenance sell for. I think Trout will be in the upper of upper echelons when he retires and all of his material can be had with MLB holograms vs. a story you must believe.Trout's bats will never be worth what a Mantle gamer goes for now. Mantle didn't hang on to each and every bat he ever used. Broken bat? In the bin. There will be a hundred Trout bats--or more--for every existing Mantle gamer.

packs
08-14-2017, 05:28 PM
I didn't say it would. I only mentioned Mantle because I think they will occupy similar tiers and popularity in terms of best players of all time. If you don't want to buy Trout you're doing me a favor so please continue to pass on him.

billyb
08-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Mike was correct on an earlier post.

It will be displayed, I am sure, where he will see these items on a daily basis. So he better like the memorabilia, first and foremost. So you need to pick his brain and find out what Baltimore players was he fond of and a youth. Memorabilia is just that, memories.

David Atkatz
08-14-2017, 09:30 PM
I didn't say it would. I only mentioned Mantle because I think they will occupy similar tiers and popularity in terms of best players of all time. If you don't want to buy Trout you're doing me a favor so please continue to pass on him.No problem. I have no interest in contemporary players.

Snapolit1
08-15-2017, 05:50 AM
Trout is a fantastic player. Could turn to be one of the all time greats. And so far he has zero mystique and zero presence that transcends the sport. Everyone in America knew who Mickey Mantle and Jackie were. Not only will every bat, glove and plastic cup Trout touches be preserved, but he will never ever reach the zenith of a Mickey Mantle. Hell, Griffey had a great career and is not in the same ballpark as Mantle. Times have changed. If you think otherwise good luck. Those Trout batting gloves aren't going to pay for anyone's college education.

mjkm90
08-15-2017, 06:20 AM
Pre 1960 high condition high quality pieces related to historic teams such as pennants, advertising, game used (assuming airtight provenance),Type 1 photos, etc. are where I would go.

packs
08-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Trout is a fantastic player. Could turn to be one of the all time greats. And so far he has zero mystique and zero presence that transcends the sport. Everyone in America knew who Mickey Mantle and Jackie were. Not only will every bat, glove and plastic cup Trout touches be preserved, but he will never ever reach the zenith of a Mickey Mantle. Hell, Griffey had a great career and is not in the same ballpark as Mantle. Times have changed. If you think otherwise good luck. Those Trout batting gloves aren't going to pay for anyone's college education.

I appreciate your support through inaction. By all means continue not to bid against me.

Huysmans
08-15-2017, 07:57 AM

+1

Hot Springs Bathers
08-15-2017, 10:37 AM
If it is truly for investment I would without question say Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund.