PDA

View Full Version : Cracking out BVG cards

irv
08-12-2017, 12:49 PM
I am going to attempt to crack out 8 of my purchased BVG graded cards as I cannot stand the scan results of my cards in these slabs with the inner baggie.

As I was looking at them, I came across 2 that had the old grading system. Corners, edges, surface and centering.

I no longer have the PM but I was sent one by a member on here who was inquiring about these some time ago. IIRC, I didn't think I owned any and told him that. I will save these 2 cards and give this thread some time in case he responds again?

Out of curiosity, do these cards, in these slabs carry a premium or is it just a personal thing?

I am going to follow this vid as it looks like the best way, and again, IIRC, this guy is also a member on here as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzrEsDe7TqQ

Zach Wheat
08-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Irv,

The best way to crack cards out of BVG cases is with a chop saw i.e a powered mitre saw. I've cracked 18 or so and had no issues....had clean cuts with no damage to the card.

Re: do they carry more value or is it a personal thing? I think it is a personal thing. JMO.

Good luck.

Z

irv
08-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Irv,

The best way to crack cards out of BVG cases is with a chop saw i.e a powered mitre saw. I've cracked 18 or so and had no issues....had clean cuts with no damage to the card.

Re: do they carry more value or is it a personal thing? I think it is a personal thing. JMO.

Good luck.

Z

I have no access to a mitre saw, Zach, but I did just as the vid shows and I had both cards out in less than a minute. As Dpeck100 states, the hardest part is cutting the baggie off.

I appreciate the info just the same!

Thanks. :)

swarmee
08-12-2017, 01:16 PM
The subgrades help you spot cards that would do better with a different grading company. Normally PSA is rougher on corners and surface wear than Beckett, while being more lenient on centering.

irv
08-12-2017, 01:43 PM
The subgrades help you spot cards that would do better with a different grading company. Normally PSA is rougher on corners and surface wear than Beckett, while being more lenient on centering.

Thanks for the info, John.

Although I am not a big fan of these BVG cards, I have to hand it to Beckett as these are definitely a well built slab, and, although the inner baggie distorts the scans, the card is definitely well protected.

Much better now, imo. Vintage baggie and a Vintage top loader.

Enos and Mr. Stanky. Much clearer and nicer to look at. :)

Dpeck100
08-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Nice work!

irv
08-13-2017, 05:56 AM
Nice work!

Thanks for taking the time to post up a vid! It worked exactly as shown. :)