PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Casey Signed Photos?

TakingStock
08-02-2017, 09:58 AM
I know Casey is a relatively scarce signature given how early and when his life ended, but how rare (and desirable) are Hugh Casey signed photos? I recall Jim Stinson offering a Burke photo a few years back for $750, and haven't seen one for sale recently. Does anyone have any background info?

TakingStock
08-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Well, I'm pretty excited to say the least. Steiner auctioned off the Cookie Lavagetto collection, and I was lucky enough to buy a lot of 17 signed vintage photos from Cookie's Dodger teammates. Many of the notable names were pulled out into separate listings such as Leo Durocher, Pee Wee Reese, Joe Medwick, etc.

I could tell that there were some more interesting names in the lot of 17 photos such as Pete Reiser, Dixie Walker, Johnny Allen, Freddie Fitzsimmons, Larry French, Dolph Camilli, Luke Hamlin, etc. but one photo caught my eye that I thought was Hugh Casey. The package arrived yesterday, and sure enough, it was! It also has a non-PC, historically relevant inscription to Cookie considering both played with Jackie Robinson:

"To my good friend who is the blackest man in baseball Hugh Casey"

mrmopar
08-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Durocher gets pulled to sell alone but Casey is rolled into a lot? You scored! He was probably one of the hardest to find of the batch I would guess.