PDA

View Full Version : ebay question

tdellis
08-02-2017, 08:01 AM
why do people list a card for an astronomical price of 20,000 for a Lou Gehrig autograph with a make offer choice then you make offer and the guy says he really does not want to sell it at all? I guess he is not paying a listing fee?

Fballguy
08-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Looks like the best offer option has been removed. Probably just wants to see what it's worth. I'm guessing for $20K he'd be willing to part with it. I know I would.

Mr. Zipper
08-02-2017, 08:39 AM
ebay's perpetual free listing has enabled and encouraged this nonsense. My daily searches have been cluttered with countless numbers of the same overpriced items for literally years.

If eBay wants to be Amazon, they need a strategy to get rid of the time wasting listings.

Fballguy
08-02-2017, 09:42 AM
My daily searches have been cluttered with countless numbers of the same overpriced items for literally years.

It would be nice to be able to do a search for "pennants" that doesn't bring up hundreds of soccer flags and baseball cards. I have about 10 keywords that I exclude from my searches but can't come close to excluding all the clutter.

Mr. Zipper
08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
It would be nice to be able to do a search for "pennants" that doesn't bring up hundreds of soccer flags and baseball cards. I have about 10 keywords that I exclude from my searches but can't come close to excluding all the clutter.

A few years back eBay significantly reduced the allowable number of characters in the search and disallowed the * wildcard feature. It made my searches a lot less effective.

perezfan
08-02-2017, 12:13 PM

Same here... 10 words is not nearly enough, to exclude all the garbage. It's almost not worth the trouble anymore. And to all those sellers who list "Soccer" as "Football".... please keep it within ebay's International sites. :mad:

perezfan
08-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Sorry this is really off-topic.... but it came up here, so it seems a good place to vent.

In order to avoid being bombarded with endless junk, here are 20 crucial words to exclude when simply searching for a vintage Baseball Glove...

Hockey
Batting
Golf
Boxing
Signed
Autographed
Clay
Ali
Foreman
Tyson
Holyfield
Frazier
Mayweather
Lennox
Sugar
Duran
New
Mizuno
Nike
Easton

And I probably forgot 20 more!

Back to the OP's original question... I think these people are more interested in showing off what they have (than actually selling something). Perhaps for the ego boost... Very irritating.