PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Autographed Bat & Glove - How Much Are They Worth?

soulgoobe
08-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Hello!

I am helping a friend sell a valuable baseball memorabilia collection. FYI - THIS IS NOT YET FOR SALE, AND IT WILL LIKELY BE SOLD THROUGH AN AUCTION HOUSE. We're checking in with some of the bigger auction houses, and in the meantime we're just trying to get an idea of value from some professional collectors.

He has an autographed Babe Ruth bat, as well as an autographed Babe Ruth glove.

The bat has a PSA Authentication from 2001, and it was later again authenticated by PSA in 2014 and given a grade (the autograph is an 8). The bat isn't a full-size bat, it's 30 inches, so it's not game-used. The bat is personally inscribed, and we have paperwork to show who it was inscribed to (a friend of the family).

The glove we have yet to authenticate, so I'm asking for a value providing it ends up being legit, which we're pretty positive it is.

Please let me know your thoughts.

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/rushgoober/library/BB%20Card%20Collection/Babe%20Ruth%20Bat%20Glove

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/rushgoober/slideshow/BB%20Card%20Collection/Babe%20Ruth%20Bat%20Glove

btcarfagno
08-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Beautiful items.

The bat is such a bold signature. I know PSA didn't mention it but I would be wary of it having been traced over. Assuming it isn't traced, I would think that a valid of maybe $10k is reasonable. Ruth signed bats are tough and very in demand. Two things going against it are the personalization and the fact that it is not a full sized bat. Still this would be a good way for someone who isn't picky to get a nice bold Ruth signed bat.

The glove was likely signed before 1927 with the Babe in quotes. Ruth gloves are equally tough, maybe even moreso than Ruth signed bats. But they are also not nearly as in demand. At first glance it seems likely authentic. I would value at maybe $4-6k with the right bidders.

Tom C

vintagesportscollector
08-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Beautiful items.

The glove was likely signed before 1927 with the Babe in quotes. Ruth gloves are equally tough, maybe even moreso than Ruth signed bats. But they are also not nearly as in demand. At first glance it seems likely authentic. I would value at maybe $4-6k with the right bidders.

Tom C

I may be mistaken, but isn't that glove post 1927? I think it is a c.1940 "FM" Frank McCormick Model basemitt.

soulgoobe
08-01-2017, 06:25 PM
I may be mistaken, but isn't that glove post 1927? I think it is a c.1940 "FM" Frank McCormick Model basemitt.

I honestly don't know.

Michael B
08-01-2017, 06:31 PM
I would disagree that the personalization is a strike against the bat (pun intended). Whenever you have more handwriting by a person, especially someone that popular, it helps the value in my opinion. Would you rather have an Ernest Hemingway first edition with just a signature or with a lengthy inscription? I have offered this opinion before and Richard has agreed if I am not mistaken.

dwinters
08-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Guessing there are more than a few mikes out there to really bid that up.

murphusa
08-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Agree with Joe, the glove is a 1942 model

btcarfagno
08-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Then watch out. The "Babe" was not something he did after 1927 to my knowledge.

Tom C

soulgoobe
08-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Well, we'll find out when we bring the glove in for authentication.

murphusa
08-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Well, we'll find out when we bring the glove in for authentication.

They don't know gloves or bats

soulgoobe
08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
They don't know gloves or bats

PSA doesn't know gloves and bats?

murphusa
08-02-2017, 11:54 AM
PSA doesn't know gloves and bats?

correct, there are many bats, gloves and baseball signed by players that are given opinions that say the signed item is correct when the item that is signed does not correspond to the time period.