PDA

View Full Version : National-From a vintage autograph perspective

tazdmb
07-31-2017, 08:45 AM
So I flew Saturday for 24 hours to National on Saturday-here are my comments

1) The number of vintage autograph dealers is significantly down. I saw a total of 2 full vintage autograph dealers- Steven (forgot last name) from Brooklyn and and Andy from Joshua Tree. Both great people.

2) The amount of cuts out there is scary. Saw well over 20 Ruth Cuts from Checks and countless Johnson, Wagner and others. One guy was trying to sell a Hornsby/Sisler "1 of 1". Neither autograph was that spectacular, yet he wanted $1,800 for the card. Just absurd.

3) An auction house recently acquired some player league documents and a Ward, Keefe and Ewing will become available this Fall.

4) Had a please discussion with Bill, now with PSA. He commented about the amount of cuts coming up in the market place and how disturbing it was to him.

5) There are no shortages of Mike Trout and Aaron Judges in the Market place, surprise surprise.

6) Had a pleasant conversation with Jackie from JSA. As much as we bash them, she spoke with two supervisors and agree that the Ruth discussed was altered and is going to change the COA! The thread is here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242361

Here are a few pictures:

mr2686
07-31-2017, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info...and very timely since I was just talking to my wife about not going to any future Nationals, especially with Keating and Corcoran out of the game. I figured that nice vintage sigs would be on the decline, but maybe not. I do think it's ridiculous that some of these sellers want top dollar for a poorly cut sig. Might as well wait till a nicer one shows up and pay maybe a little more.

conor912
07-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Glad to hear the Ruth will get the fate it deserves, though I doubt the new COA will ever make it into the hands of the next buyer.

If they are that concerned about the amount of cuts coming in, they hold the key to an easy solution.....stop certifying them.

Scott Garner
07-31-2017, 10:39 AM
I would concur with Taz.
At the National I saw lots of beautiful bigger HOF cuts and signed pieces. Huge price tags or coming up in major catalogue auctions.

Here is one of the more stunning autographed pieces that I saw at the 2017 National, a circa 1893-1895 era signed Cy Young cabinet photo- signed DT Young (Denton True Young). Awesome!
I believe that it is going in the upcoming Heritage Platinum Auction.
:cool:

tazdmb
07-31-2017, 11:50 AM
concerned about the amount of cuts coming in, they hold the key to an easy solution.....stop certifying them.

This will never happen, it is not their job. Their job is the make money and (hopefully) keep the bad autographs out.