PDA

View Full Version : Lections on Ebay

Snapolit1
07-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Was anyone else watching these. Wow. Company in upstate NY had 4 go off yesterday, include a Ruth 3 MK. Ruth went for over $9,000. Had a Hornsby and a few others. Conflicted on these. The Ruth was really nice -- not one hole punched in it -- and the cards are exceedingly rare. I guess. Very few graded. But the cards themselves? Not much to look at. Took a run at the Ruth because there is only 1 higher. The four cards combined went for about 10K. Probably another "attic discovery."

TUM301
07-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Ya, watched those all week myself mainly because they are so unusual and well, it`s fun and enlightening to see rare ebay auctions. The 1`st 3 including Hornsby, hole punches and all, went a little lower than I anticipated. The Ruth, that`s a whole nother story. Have seen a couple over the years come up and fairly certain a board member snagged the last one from ebay. The Ruth had an odd bidding pattern. 120+ bids pushed it to the 5 K area then, right on que, with less than 4 minutes 7200 then closing at basically 10 K. Even at a "2" that Ruth was a really cool card and much better than the usual offerings. very interesting auctions.

glchen
07-28-2017, 10:43 AM
That Lections Ruth was a nice card. I've owned two Lections Ruth's in the past, which I no longer have. These cards are usually in horrible condition, with hole punches, infinite number of creases, stains, etc. That said, I put in a snipe at $5200, and was thinking of going higher after I got outbid, but then saw a number of creases on the back scan, so didn't raise my bid any higher. $9K does seem steep still, but definitely a tough card.

canjond
07-28-2017, 08:27 PM
FWIW, I know of a complete set that's in private hands that, if graded, would certainly be the highest graded examples out there. A gentleman that lived near where I grew up (in upstate NY) had 17 of these, 10 singles and 7 duplicates. Around 1999, I acquired the 7 duplicates (including a Ruth), but the original 10 remain in his possession as they belonged to his father so hold strong sentimental value. This gentleman is also the source who clarified the story that these were handed out to kids in connection with "election" cards by local politicians.