PDA

View Full Version : Hooks Wiltse t206 portrait???

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Has anyone ever discussed what on earth is going on with Wiltse's sweater/jersey in his t206 portrait?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OU4AAOSw6YtZT-j-/s-l1600.jpg

KingFisk
07-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Ha. Alternate jersey? ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

trdcrdkid
07-23-2017, 12:13 PM
This thread shows the photo used for that Wiltse card and the other T206 "sweater" portraits of New York Giants:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219861

As you can see from the photo, the Giants did have sweaters with a two-part pattern like that shown on the card. But Wiltse was standing behind Cy Seymour in the picture, so the artist had to reconstruct his sweater for the card, and he didn't do a very good job lining up the buttons.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-23-2017, 12:29 PM
I remember seeing that picture before (the national pin from last year) but with the cards in place it is hard to see the true image. I guess that somehow that really is how the thing looks, but man it's weird. It also looks like there may be a wrinkle in the fabric that hides the transition, especially on the Wiltse, making it look even funkier than it is.

trdcrdkid
07-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Scott --

If you scroll down to post #8 of that thread, you can see the original photo without the cards. The front of Wiltse's sweater, including all the buttons, is obscured by Seymour, but it looks like the artist used Matty or Larry Doyle (to the right front of Wiltse) as a model to reconstruct it.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Scott --

If you scroll down to post #8 of that thread, you can see the original photo without the cards. The front of Wiltse's sweater, including all the buttons, is obscured by Seymour, but it looks like the artist used Matty or Larry Doyle (to the right front of Wiltse) as a model to reconstruct it.

you're right. I think that two things that contribute to the weird look of the card, is the artist randomly changing the texture where the buttons change. While there is a line marking the change the texture is that rough weave both above and below looking at the photo. Also the placement of the NY logo too high. it makes it look like it's a separate piece almost being hidden by some weird crop top jacket.

brianp-beme
07-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Scott --

Beware of Frankensweater!

Brian