PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who was the oldest player to hit a Home Run

Buythatcard
07-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Who was the oldest player to hit a Home Run?

The answer will in the video below.

Hint: the pitcher was Warren Spahn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z7T-iaDzmA

clydepepper
07-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Without viewing the video, I know that Luke Appling, age 75, homered off of Spahn in an Old-Timers Game.

The oldest player to hit a home run in an official Major League game was Julio Franco, age 48.

Both were great to see!

Peter_Spaeth
07-20-2017, 11:48 AM
I think Appling was juicing. He was a 3HR per year guy during his playing days LOL.

savedfrommyspokes
07-20-2017, 01:22 PM
One of the next of these traveling old timers games following Appling's HR was played in the Superdome. My parents took me to the game and the first thing that was talked about at this game was how Appling had recently parked one in DC....seeing him in person at the time, it was hard to believe he could hit it that far.

Butch7999
07-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Appling parked one in Buffalo that same year on that tour.
We were there.

darwinbulldog
07-20-2017, 02:34 PM
One of the next of these traveling old timers games following Appling's HR was played in the Superdome. My parents took me to the game and the first thing that was talked about at this game was how Appling had recently parked one in DC....seeing him in person at the time, it was hard to believe he could hit it that far.

Did you go to any of the the Giants/A's games in the Superdome?

savedfrommyspokes
07-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Did you go to any of the the Giants/A's games in the Superdome?

I had tickets to the 82 spring training Yankees game, but got the chicken pox and couldn't go, boy was I an upset 9 year old....my parents got me tickets for the 83 Yankees / Blue Jays spring training game. Outside of the HOF/all-star game and the Yankees game, those are the only baseball games I went to in the Superdome. What years were the A's/Giants games played there?

darwinbulldog
07-20-2017, 10:03 PM
1989. So it was a preview of the World Series as it turns out. I believe Oakland won both games. I was pulling for the Giants because of the local boy at 1st base.