PDA

View Full Version : Early Eisenhower?

smotan_02
07-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Came across some scrapbook items from 1911-1913 belonging to Cadet Paul Newgarden; eventually became a Brigadier General. These items included several football programs, tickets, and photos of the football team (varsity and JV). By chance, the far left gentleman in tge group photo look like a young Eisenhower? The second photo is a yearbook photo of him pulled from the internet.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/fa75d2991bfa6f910e6dafee827c9692.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/11b9c97ed3a96b5dc41cd5612603a7bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

David Atkatz
07-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Sure looks like it could be.

autograf
07-18-2017, 09:45 AM
ditto David..........hairstyle looks similar based on tilt. Very cool.

drcy
07-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Much closer than that Amelia Aearhart photo :D

Looks like him to me.

smotan_02
07-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Great and thank you for the replies everyone! It's pretty exciting as it would be one of only a handful of photos of him as a cadet and even more scarce of him connected to a football team. I believe only 3-4 exist as he was hurt early in his playing days.

bmarlowe1
07-18-2017, 10:25 PM
It may help if you could post the photo in higher resolution. All we need is his head.

Steve D
07-18-2017, 11:32 PM
If I were you, I'd contact the Eisenhower Presidential Library at eisenhower.library@nara.gov. They should be able to quickly verify if Ike is in the picture.

Steve

smotan_02
07-18-2017, 11:36 PM
I was able to scan the image tonight, both the whole and just a scan of him. Should be much better quality.

http://i.imgur.com/rrCubdm.jpg

smotan_02
07-18-2017, 11:44 PM
If I were you, I'd contact the Eisenhower Presidential Library at eisenhower.library@nara.gov. They should be able to quickly verify if Ike is in the picture.

Steve

Great advice, thank you.

JollyElm
07-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Since no one is saying it, I will. There is no way in heck that is Ike. Come on!

smotan_02
07-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Edit- moved to a stand alone post.

icollectDCsports
07-19-2017, 05:52 PM
As I comb through the contents of this purchase, I found it told a really fascinating story with the future General of the Army for World War II and the 34th President of the United States: Dwight D “Ike” Eisenhower.

Wow. Very interesting -- and well told. Thank goodness for Ike's roommate's persuasiveness.

JollyElm
07-19-2017, 06:36 PM
On a side note, my father was in the navy during the Korean Conflict and rode in a blimp photographing Ike's inauguration on Jan 20, 1953. I have a whole series of shots from before, during and after the events of that day.

And here's a stylized version of the first shot…

smotan_02
07-19-2017, 06:50 PM
On a side note, my father was in the navy during the Korean Conflict and rode in a blimp photographing Ike's inauguration on Jan 20, 1953. I have a whole series of shots from before, during and after the events of that day.

And here's a stylized version of the first shot…

Incredible, what a great experience. The last one looks like a model of the event. I would blow these up and hang them in series.

I also understand why you don't think that picture looks like him. You've got a close up view through these pictures ;)

Tigerden
07-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Since no one is saying it, I will. There is no way in heck that is Ike. Come on!

+1

Butch7999
07-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Where's Marlowe? The ears don't lie...

JollyElm
07-19-2017, 11:54 PM
From young to old, Ike had 'free' earlobes, not attached ones. The guy in the photo clearly has attached earlobes...plus, he doesn't look anything like him!!!!!!!!!

smotan_02
07-20-2017, 12:28 AM
From young to old, Ike had 'free' earlobes, not attached ones. The guy in the photo clearly has attached earlobes...plus, he doesn't look anything like him!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I simply asked. Your explanation on why not would have been appreciated from the beginning; not snarky dismissiveness.

Considering it was several football items from the estate of Cadet Newgarden who was a member of the Cullum Hall (JV) Football team with Cadet Eisenhower and he had several items featuring Eisenhower's name......it was worthwhile to ask.

JollyElm
07-20-2017, 01:16 AM
I am being snarky because it is beyond self-evident that it is not Ike, yet people come on here and readily say it's him. Just like in every other thread where people are trying to identify people in old photographs. 99.9999999999999% of the posters just throw out such ridiculously wrong answers and others chime in, "Yup, you're right." It's like the part of their brain that is able to distinguish the differences in two dissimilar shapes is not present. It gets tiring!!!

smotan_02
07-20-2017, 05:39 AM
I am being snarky because it is beyond self-evident that it is not Ike, yet people come on here and readily say it's him. Just like in every other thread where people are trying to identify people in old photographs. 99.9999999999999% of the posters just throw out such ridiculously wrong answers and others chime in, "Yup, you're right." It's like the part of their brain that is able to distinguish the differences in two dissimilar shapes is not present. It gets tiring!!!
I disagree, it isn't beyond self evident. Yes, it may not be him. But you know what, maybe it is. At least enough to ask the question. Enough that some of the facial features, the supporting documentation, and timeframe lined up. The circumstantial evidence was enough to propose it. Have I shown an overly zealous tendency to make it fit and force it to be him? Not at all. Others simply said, "Yeah, it looks like him", which was my initial thought. You actually presented evidence, which is all I was asking for. However, your holier than thou attitude made it seem silly that I even presented the question in the first place. If everyone had your approach, then this wouldn't be a very conducive place to learning about the hobby.

JollyElm
07-20-2017, 06:15 AM
Holier than thou??? WHat the hell are you talking about. You're the one who keeps taking shots at me. And yes, it is beyond self-evident that that picture is not Ike. It is ridiculous to claim that it is. When I first saw the title of this thread, I looked in to see what was going on. Turns out one of the guys in the photo was supposed to be Eisenhower. In looking at the pic, I had no clue whatsoever which of these people anyone could possibly claim is Ike. Then the person you're talking about is pointed out and a high-res enlargement is provided and it jumps off the page that IT IS NOT HIM.

But, hey, look! I found a pic of Abraham Lincoln…

callou2131
07-20-2017, 06:51 AM
If anyone would like to get in touch with someone that is at the Presidential library let me know. One of my Best Marine Corps buddies is a tech there.

smotan_02
07-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Holier than thou??? WHat the hell are you talking about. You're the one who keeps taking shots at me. And yes, it is beyond self-evident that that picture is not Ike. It is ridiculous to claim that it is. When I first saw the title of this thread, I looked in to see what was going on. Turns out one of the guys in the photo was supposed to be Eisenhower. In looking at the pic, I had no clue whatsoever which of these people anyone could possibly claim is Ike. Then the person you're talking about is pointed out and a high-res enlargement is provided and it jumps off the page that IT IS NOT HIM.

But, hey, look! I found a pic of Abraham Lincoln…

I don't think so...the ears aren't a match.

smotan_02
07-20-2017, 07:20 AM
If anyone would like to get in touch with someone that is at the Presidential library let me know. One of my Best Marine Corps buddies is a tech there.
Thomas- Thank you for your service and your offer. I agree with JollyElm's analysis and won't pursue it more.

ramram
07-20-2017, 08:20 AM
I disagree, it isn't beyond self evident. Yes, it may not be him. But you know what, maybe it is. At least enough to ask the question. Enough that some of the facial features, the supporting documentation, and timeframe lined up. The circumstantial evidence was enough to propose it. Have I shown an overly zealous tendency to make it fit and force it to be him? Not at all. Others simply said, "Yeah, it looks like him", which was my initial thought. You actually presented evidence, which is all I was asking for. However, your holier than thou attitude made it seem silly that I even presented the question in the first place. If everyone had your approach, then this wouldn't be a very conducive place to learning about the hobby.

+1

Rob M

Fballguy
07-20-2017, 10:33 AM
+1

Rob M

+2

callou2131
07-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Thomas- Thank you for your service and your offer. I agree with JollyElm's analysis and won't pursue it more.

Well in the future if anyone needs any Ike info or wants the museum to look at something... Here is one of the neat things he gets to play with. A honus ball signed to Ike

ksfarmboy
07-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Well in the future if anyone needs any Ike info or wants the museum to look at something... Here is one of the neat things he gets to play with. A honus ball signed to Ike

My brother in law's brother is the deputy director there. I bet they know each other. His name is Tim Rives.

ChiSoxTony
07-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Looking at pics of Ike online, you can see that, even as an infant, he had hanging earlobes. The person in your photo clearly does not. I didn't think I'd be writing about Ike's earlobes today, but I've written about weirder things.

ChiSoxTony
07-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Looks like I posted about the earlobes after someone else already did. Missed that. Sorry.

celoknob
07-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Looks like I posted about the earlobes after someone else already did. Missed that. Sorry.

You just did it a lot nicer.

JollyElm
07-21-2017, 04:18 AM
My apologies if people found my responses to be 'not nice.' I get frustrated easily in these types of threads, because as I said previously, it just happens time and time and time again. Next time, I will take a nice, deep, calming breath before replying, because I only contribute to these threads to help whomever is posting them.

smotan_02
07-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Thank you for your apology and contribution to the thread.

bmarlowe1
07-21-2017, 09:06 PM
The Ike photo below right was chosen because it was the best for ear comparison that I could find. Ears don't change much with age, and the changes that may occur are pretty predictable. The only explanation for the completely differing ear shapes here is that these are two different persons. Post #17 above is correct with respect to the earlobes.

Leon
07-22-2017, 07:06 AM
Thank you for your apology and contribution to the thread.

Good info in the thread and thanks for getting back on track and being nice on the forum. This place should be free of most animosity but we are all passionate so things happen.

Thanks to Mark (and the others) for helping on the ID too.....