PDA

View Full Version : Buying cards on Amazon?

Marchillo
07-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Does anyone ever do this? I only ask because I have a pile of credit card reward points to use. The value isn't quite there versus say just grabbing a Home Depot gift card but I can grab a card that I want in my collection that my wife would otherwise kill me if I just buy it.

So now to the question. Those who might buy there. Are there any reasonable priced cards? What is the best search method. As an example I searched 1956 Mantle and an SGC 2.5 came up for $440. I can afford it with my points but that same card on a buy it now on eBay is right around $350. And if I go the bidding route on eBay I could do better. Those same points I could grab $600 in Home Depot gift cards.

Since using points on Amazon is around 70% of the value of getting a gift card, I'd want to find cards at fairer prices. I just don't know the best way to search it on Amazon.

It's painful searching for specific cards one at a time.

Does anyone on here sell through Amazon?

Thanks - Steve

pclpads
07-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Well, you are not going to get fairer prices on Amazon vs feebay, or on here. Dealers tend to jack their prices up considerably on Amazon while pushing the same card at a much lower price as a BIN on feebay. Amazon may be good if you are buying wifey perfume, sports cards, not so much.

Jobu
07-10-2017, 09:13 PM
I have never bought a card on Amazon as I have noticed the same prices you have. I say you get the $600 Home Depot gift card and sell it or trade it. See #3: https://www.moneytalksnews.com/6-tips-to-avoid-gift-card-scams/

The first site shows that you can trade the $600 HD card for $510 on Ebay, so you can buy the card at $350 and have money left over for another card.

Note: I have never used either site in that article, I just know that this sort of thing can be done.

Zach Wheat
07-11-2017, 07:24 AM
I have purchased baseball cards on Amazon, but very infrequently. I had previously built a 1975 Hostess set and was looking for variations.....and they had them on Amazon, but not noted as such. Which is probably why they didn't sell......

Agree with your comments, prices are higher and harder to search.

Z

Jayworld
07-11-2017, 07:33 AM
I agree; single priced cards, especially vintage, pre-war, post-war, are much more expensive than what you will find here on the B/S/T or on eBay, but I have purchased 2-3 boxes of newer cards (Owners League Japanese cards from 2011, 2012, 2014) on amazon.com, and for these types of items, amazon beats ebay hands down.

Marchillo
07-11-2017, 12:34 PM
It doesn't look like this will be a reasonable option. If someone on here sells on amazon I could possibly work something out to make the purchase through the site but based on what I am seeing its not equitable.

Its too bad. In the Mantle Case I have obtained all the Topps regular issue cards (non all-stars etc) from 1957-1969 (not including the 69 white letter version). The 1956 is staring me right in the face with no money coming out of my pocket. But I know its not a great use of points. My wife told me to do it.

I guess I'll just save up for the Mantle and hold onto my points as my wife will inevitably want me to do some sort of project or get new appliances.

Bummer.

Snapolit1
07-11-2017, 01:29 PM
I recently traded in credit card points for a pricey Ebay gift card. Not an option?

Marchillo
07-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Not at this point but it does change frequently. Originally I was going to use the points for a Vegas vacation. I am going next year and they were offering gift cards to pretty much all of the nice hotels out there. I figured I'd splurge and stay at one of the nicer ones that i usually can't afford. Unfortunately those are no longer an option. They are the same value as the home depot gift cards - Pretty much worth 1 cent per point. The amazon option is about .7 cents per point and then you couple that with overpriced items and you get a wasteful use of points.

Ebay would be great because while the gift cards might be pricey as you state - you can find some deals on Ebay.

robw1959
07-11-2017, 01:42 PM
I did pick up several nice graded '56 Topps cards on Amazon a couple of months ago while I was just finishing up my set. They were a bit higher-priced than I would have wanted, but it was definitely an option for me since I was in the same boat as you, with points available. Ultimately, I was happy with the purchases there. I doesn't hurt to check out what they have.

drcy
07-11-2017, 02:05 PM
I believe amazon charges a much higher percentage on sales from the seller than on eBay, which is why memorabilia prices are so much higher.

ejharrington
07-11-2017, 02:06 PM
I have bought 4-5 cards on Amazon at prices lower than what I would pay if purchased through eBay. Not as much selection though.

swarmee
07-11-2017, 03:34 PM
A bunch of the cards listed on eBay are also on COMC for less (on sales).