PDA

View Full Version : great find or pig in a poke ? 1963 Topps Mantle Wrong Back Baseball Card

megalimey
07-10-2017, 09:27 AM
1963 Topps 200 Mickey Mantle wrong back from wax pack
-
WRONG BACK has #235 Billy Odell back
card in EX-Near mint the front is centered side to side
back is very well centered
i feel its a real 1963 card from a wax pack not cut out from a waste sheet
there are known 1963 Topps wrong back but this is A Mantle which I have never seen.
I am really a ticket guy but this card intrigued me , so I figure it was worth the gamble. This was not an item ever listed on ebay or for sale anywhere
so I am not sure any one is familiar with it
I know PSA will grade it as I saw sold wrong back cards see pictures
I am curious to hear any input good, bad or ugly
thanks for looking

bnorth
07-10-2017, 10:28 AM
1963 Topps 200 Mickey Mantle wrong back from wax pack
-
WRONG BACK has #235 Billy Odell back
card in EX-Near mint the front is centered side to side
back is very well centered
i feel its a real 1963 card from a wax pack not cut out from a waste sheet
there are known 1963 Topps wrong back but this is A Mantle which I have never seen.
I am really a ticket guy but this card intrigued me , so I figure it was worth the gamble. This was not an item ever listed on ebay or for sale anywhere
so I am not sure any one is familiar with it
I know PSA will grade it as I saw sold wrong back cards see pictures
I am curious to hear any input good, bad or ugly
thanks for looking

Awesome card. Even though I have an insane collection of wrong backs they are really more of a novelty than worth a lot of cash. If it was mine I would ask around $400 and take $250. That is a huge premium for that card in that condition. I only give it that much of a premium because people like to highly over pay for Mantle items.

Like in your examples the Dimaggio would actually sell for more than that in that grade if it was a regular card.

pclpads
07-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Thinking back to my HS prom . . . go with the pig. :D

megalimey
07-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Awesome card. Even though I have an insane collection of wrong backs they are really more of a novelty than worth a lot of cash. If it was mine I would ask around $400 and take $250. That is a huge premium for that card in that condition. I only give it that much of a premium because people like to highly over pay for Mantle items.

Like in your examples the Dimaggio would actually sell for more than that in that grade if it was a regular card.
Mantle wrong back still rarer than Reg 1963 Mantle I think ?
thankfully I paid a lot less than a 1963 Mantle in similar grade ,
and there are hundreds of those around for sale on any given day .
maybe some who collects odd ball Mantle Items may want it especially as it could be the only known example to exist ,

megalimey
07-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Thinking back to my HS prom . . . go with the pig. :D

after what I paid for it there should be plenty of meat on the bone for a nice barbecue

hangman62
07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Oh, you'll have plenty left on the bone with that card

bnorth
07-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Oh, you'll have plenty left on the bone with that card

LOL, In pork I would say it is worth about half a hog processed and packaged.:)

megalimey
07-10-2017, 02:03 PM
this little piggy is getting some interest , and some big bad wolves
are trying to take him home by offering me a pile of Bacon .:D

bnorth
07-10-2017, 02:09 PM
this little piggy is getting some interest , and some big bad wolves
are trying to take him home by offering me a pile of Bacon .:D

List it in the BST auction section and let them bid against each other.:)

David W
07-10-2017, 02:25 PM
I'm a player collector and collect wrong backs and miscuts.

If I were a Mantle collector I'd want that card.

Not sure how much I'd pay for it, but perhaps 50% more than a correct back in that condition?

megalimey
07-10-2017, 02:26 PM
List it in the BST auction section and let them bid against each other.:)

not selling this pig in a poke at this time ! as it could now be a diamond in the rough
just want to see reactions as it not a common card you see every day ,

megalimey
07-10-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm a player collector and collect wrong backs and miscuts.

If I were a Mantle collector I'd want that card.

Not sure how much I'd pay for it, but perhaps 50% more than a correct back in that condition?

thanks , I have had a couple of offers , I am now thinking of maybe PSA slabbing to help the more Novice collector feel comfortable its the real deal
I compared it to some other 1963 topps its a 100% consistent
but whos going to take my word for it

irv
07-10-2017, 04:27 PM
thanks , I have had a couple of offers , I am now thinking of maybe PSA slabbing to help the more Novice collector feel comfortable its the real deal
but who's going to take my word for it

I would.

Bestdj777
07-10-2017, 08:21 PM
but whos going to take my word for it

I wouldn't bother. A novice collector isn't going to be interested in something like this. An advanced collector may, but I don't think it matters to them whether it's slabbed or not. It's clearly real (whether it's sheet or factory cut is beyond my level of expertise). Either way, I second someone's estimate of $250, although that may be a little high. It's a cool piece, but, if I were still buying, it's not something I'd buy unless the price was right as there is so much Mantle stuff out there.

Zach Wheat
07-11-2017, 07:06 AM
Nice card...and great condition given the problem with chipping on the edges. I agree with Chris regarding grading.

Z

megalimey
07-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Thanks to every one for some great input .

swarmee
07-11-2017, 02:54 PM
And FWIW, just because PSA graded some cards as wrong backs, doesn't mean they will grade all cards as wrong backs. I would bet $20 that it gets sent back to you ungraded as NO SPEC, NO INFO.

bnorth
07-11-2017, 03:01 PM
And FWIW, just because PSA graded some cards as wrong backs, doesn't mean they will grade all cards as wrong backs. I would bet $20 that it gets sent back to you ungraded as NO SPEC, NO INFO.

Thanks for the PSA info. I know SGC will grade wrong backs and label them correctly. My only known Wade Boggs/Roger Clemens wrong back pair is there now.

I really see no reason to grade it simply for resale value as I really doubt it would make any difference with that card.

megalimey
07-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the PSA info. I know SGC will grade wrong backs and label them correctly. My only known Wade Boggs/Roger Clemens wrong back pair is there now.

I really see no reason to grade it simply for resale value as I really doubt it would make any difference with that card.

I showed this card to a few people and the first thing they wanted to do
was take it out of the card saver and man handle it with out any due care ,
if sold raw some one could accidentally drop it or ding it and then not want it .
If its in a slab it may not add anything to overall value , but at least it will protect it and not get accidentally damaged by some one wanting to touch it .
FYI I would not waste a dime on slabbing anything less than $250
Old school hate any kind of slabbing which I understand so not looking to offend any one in that regard , its purely for protection and being able to show people with out fear

bnorth
07-11-2017, 04:31 PM
I showed this card to a few people and the first thing they wanted to do
was take it out of the card saver and man handle it with out any due care ,
if sold raw some one could accidentally drop it or ding it and then not want it .
If its in a slab it may not add anything to overall value , but at least it will protect it and not get accidentally damaged by some one wanting to touch it .
FYI I would not waste a dime on slabbing anything less than $250
Old school hate any kind of slabbing which I understand so not looking to offend any one in that regard , its purely for protection and being able to show people with out fear

I am having some of my only known wrong backs slabbed for the same reason. I don't let noncollectors touch any of my cards that are not slabbed. They don't get it that the crease they just put in the card turned a $500 card into a $50 card.

megalimey
07-11-2017, 04:41 PM
I am having some of my only known wrong backs slabbed for the same reason. I don't let noncollectors touch any of my cards that are not slabbed. They don't get it that the crease they just put in the card turned a $500 card into a $50 card.

I slab purely for protection , wonder how many old school collectors
at a show would want some one touching there $500 or higher value card , for inspection to make sure there are no hidden surface wrinkles , they would lose a sale rather than take that risk , I know I have try to inspect high dollar cards
they know me and even then they are super nervous , who needs that kind of grief , I buy sell and trade , some uneducated but wealthy buyers prefer Slabbed High dollar cards , so it makes sense

mintacular
07-11-2017, 08:32 PM
$250 seems strong... I would think $ $150-$200, unless you want to wait a while...

bobbyw8469
07-13-2017, 05:54 PM
$250 is actually WAYYYYYY cheap......PM sent.

Yours looks like a 7 (MC)......the one that went for big bucks was an SGC 4.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1963-topps-mickey-mantle-billy-o-dell-error-200-235-sgc-50-vg-ex-4/a/7165-51175.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

irv
07-13-2017, 06:20 PM

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1963-topps-mickey-mantle-billy-o-dell-error-200-235-sgc-50-vg-ex-4/a/7165-51175.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I agree, after looking at the card in your Heritage link.

Like I mentioned earlier, "I would" when the OP thought about getting it slabbed. To me, now, especially, I wouldn't even think about not getting it slabbed/graded.

Exhibitman
07-15-2017, 06:35 AM
I've had sgc handle all my wrong back and blank back cards. No regrets. They label them correctly.

bnorth
07-15-2017, 06:56 AM

What was the sale price?

pawpawdiv9
07-15-2017, 08:00 AM
$478 in Ha was not far fetched...At first, I thought this may be one of those Salesman Samples. The one I had was a 1964 with a Mickey back. Sold it back in 2014 for $300

bnorth
07-15-2017, 09:45 AM
$478 in Ha was not far fetched...At first, I thought this may be one of those Salesman Samples. The one I had was a 1964 with a Mickey back. Sold it back in 2014 for $300

Thanks.