PDA

View Full Version : Jimmie Foxx Autograph Question

Joe Hunter
07-07-2017, 06:38 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a Cy Young 100th Birthday Celebration Program with a Jimmie Foxx signature near his picture on the interior of the program. This celebration was held on July 16 & 17, 1967, and was attended by a number of former players. There are about 12 signatures in the program, total, with Foxx being the most significant. Foxx passed away less than a week after this event from choking on some food. Here is my question: Does the fact that program was signed so close to his death add a monetary premium to the autograph? Some other signatures in the program include Red Ruffing, Lefty Grove, Bill McGowan and Woody Hays (FB coach). The current owner is asking a pretty hefty chunk of change, so wanted to get some thoughts before taking the plunge.

btcarfagno
07-07-2017, 07:07 PM
I don't know that it would add much. Neat thing to add to the conversation about the piece but I don't know if it would increase value at all. If you had a similar program from, say, 1961 with the same autographs...the fact that this one was signed a week before his death may be enough for someone to choose it over the 1961 program, but that might be the limit to the added value.

Tom C

BillyCoxDodgers3B
07-07-2017, 07:41 PM
McGowan passed away 13 years prior to this. Typo?

Joe Hunter
07-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Sorry, It is Bill McKinley

Joe Hunter
07-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Thanks, Tom, that makes sense,