PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Why would PSA recert a Star Basketball card

Peter_Spaeth
07-07-2017, 04:35 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-85-Star-202-Charles-Barkley-XRC-Rc-PSA-8-In-new-case-with-hologram-/352107230834?hash=item51fb39f672:g:-agAAOSwrfVZXmbV

botn
07-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Pretty sure it is because reholders bypass the part of the system cards go through if they are submitted for a grade.

Peter_Spaeth
07-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Pretty sure it is because reholders bypass the part of the system cards go through if they are submitted for a grade.

A frightening prospect not so much for Star BKB but for Mexican specials.

botn
07-07-2017, 05:39 PM
I think reholders are actually examined by someone with some experience and the holders and cards are checked for irregularities or inconsistencies but as you suggest it would not shock me if things got reholdered that should have been booted.

maximus35
07-08-2017, 03:13 PM
I doubt PSA examines cards thoroughly before reholdering them. If they do it's just a quick glance. I purchased a pete rose rookie PSA 9 o/c. When I received the card the corners on the holder looked so frosted that even Tony the Tiger would be impressed. I had someone from Beckett look at it and said it was trimmed and probably had the original card cracked out and replaced with this trimmed card. I returned the card for a refund and the seller sent it into PSA and got it in a new holder.

I've sent in cards in old PSA holders I had for 10yrs I had put away. I sent a few in for reholdering service. A few looked like they may have been trimmed or should not been given the grade they received. Every one of them got a new holder with hologram. I was shocked but happy. Lol

botn
07-08-2017, 07:05 PM
I doubt PSA examines cards thoroughly before reholdering them. If they do it's just a quick glance. I purchased a pete rose rookie PSA 9 o/c. When I received the card the corners on the holder looked so frosted that even Tony the Tiger would be impressed. I had someone from Beckett look at it and said it was trimmed and probably had the original card cracked out and replaced with this trimmed card. I returned the card for a refund and the seller sent it into PSA and got it in a new holder.

I've sent in cards in old PSA holders I had for 10yrs I had put away. I sent a few in for reholdering service. A few looked like they may have been trimmed or should not been given the grade they received. Every one of them got a new holder with hologram. I was shocked but happy. Lol

Well yeah that too. They do not like writing checks or admitting to mistakes.